“great roadside stand”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stopped here after hiking in Waimea-and enjoyed the low-key roadside food (maybe moreso because we were hungry after hiking?). The shrimp tacos ($12) were large, and one plate could feed 2 people. We also tried the shrimp in chili sauce (also $12, a white sauce base with chili sauce) which was very flavorful, albeit a bit hard to eat the shrimp with shells on already sauced up, but finger-licking good. all in all, quite a yummy lunch and the place was crowded, but service was fast.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We ordered the coconut shrimp and the shrimp tacos. The tacos were huge and flavorful, though the shrimp didn't shine through the other flavors. The coconut shrimp wasn't overly breaded and had a good amount of coconut on it - along with the dip it was a surprise and we really liked it. But, the two items were about $30 and seemed pricey. I probably wouldn't stop again.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Very good shrimp!!! We each ordered something different so we got to sample each kinds of sauces and they all were yummy.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Don't be afraid to stop that this roadside stand. If you like coconut shrimp you'll be glad you did. Delicious and plentiful. My husband had the shrimp tacos and was also very pleased. A good lunch stop, indeed.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

TripAdvisor's rating system goes from "Average" to "Very Good" but if I could, I would rate Shrimp Station simply "Good".

Let me preface this by saying that I am a self-proclaimed coconut shrimp connoisseur so I was drawn to Shrimp Station when I saw that their ads boasted that it offered "the best coconut shrimp on the planet". That's a pretty lofty claim and I can't say it lived up to its slogan. It was *really good* coconut shrimp but it definitely wasn't the best I've ever had. It was a little on the greasy side. My fiance ordered a shrimp burger which he really enjoyed and said he would definitely go for it again.

Shrimp Station itself is a pretty relaxed spot with outdoor seating and no frills service. There are two spots on Kauai - one in Waimea and one in Kapaa. We visited the Waimea shop. If I find myself back in Kauai, I'd definitely visit Shrimp Station again in a heartbeat and you should too. Just don't expect it to be "the best coconut shrimp on the planet".