“Ahi poke and ocean salad”
Review of Ishihara Market

Ishihara Market
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Waimea
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A whole counter full of poke! Bring a bunch of people so you can have an excuse to buy a bunch of kinds to try them all!
Full grocery store- you can get other stuff too. Groceries, beauty items, drinks, bento.
But really, you're just there for the poke.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Love the variety of fresh poke. The staff was very nice , and offer plenty of samples of poke. The stir offer a variety of food from salads to hot plate lunches and meat fresh off the grill.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our lunch here! Great service at both the Deli counter (they have us samples and suggestions as to what is the most popular) and the Clerks at the front. We decided on the Wasabi Ahi Poke (amazing), a sweet bread and a couple of Hawaiian sodas. We enjoyed all of our meal outside on the picnic tables. We will definitly be back at this location in the near future!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I really enjoyed shopping in this old market that has been an integral part of the Waimea community since 1934. Everyone was super nice, especially the women at the deli counter who explained to me what different things were and never showed impatience even when I changed my mind about six times. As this area does not have a ton of dining options, the deli is a great resource for real Hawaiian food at very reasonable prices. The market also has interesting local produce and homemade deserts.

In my travels I've often found that a real local market is a great place to get a feel for the people and their culture. After shopping at Ishihara, when we moved to the north part of Kauai and went to the huge, modern (and insanely expensive) supermarket in Princeville I experienced a feeling of culture shock. I suddenly felt like I was in Southern California or any affluent American suburb.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The poke and plate lunches are really delicious here and the staff are super kind and helpful. This was one of the meals I will remember from my trip, and way better-priced than some of the expensive blandness that I sat through at some resort restaurants. Ishihara has tons of charm and follows through with really good fresh food that the people there clearly take pride in. I wish they would open up a location in New York!