“A Classic”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Seattle, Washington
“A Classic”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I really enjoyed shopping in this old market that has been an integral part of the Waimea community since 1934. Everyone was super nice, especially the women at the deli counter who explained to me what different things were and never showed impatience even when I changed my mind about six times. As this area does not have a ton of dining options, the deli is a great resource for real Hawaiian food at very reasonable prices. The market also has interesting local produce and homemade deserts.

In my travels I've often found that a real local market is a great place to get a feel for the people and their culture. After shopping at Ishihara, when we moved to the north part of Kauai and went to the huge, modern (and insanely expensive) supermarket in Princeville I experienced a feeling of culture shock. I suddenly felt like I was in Southern California or any affluent American suburb.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
“Delicious lunch, lovely staff”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The poke and plate lunches are really delicious here and the staff are super kind and helpful. This was one of the meals I will remember from my trip, and way better-priced than some of the expensive blandness that I sat through at some resort restaurants. Ishihara has tons of charm and follows through with really good fresh food that the people there clearly take pride in. I wish they would open up a location in New York!

Spokane, Washington
“Best Poke”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I tried Poke before but did not like the fishy taste. I gave it one more try at Ishihara and loved it. I prefer the spicy Poke and the one with Wasabe. I had it just about every other day and it was ALWAYS excellent. If you are on the fence about eating raw fish...try this one....it is worth it. Für Deutsche unter uns,es schmeckt wie gut gewürztes Schabefleisch.

• Visited March 2014
California
“OH MY GOSH ... Tripadvisor is right on this one!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

After finishing our visit to Waimea Canyon we were starving so used Tripadvisor to find a place to eat. This market was ranked #1 and we decided to give it a try. At first we walked in and I was tempted to walk back out.... how to figure out the back deli case? All the choices seemed overwhelming and there was a crowd. However the staff behind the counter was so friendly and welcoming we persevered and had AMAZING poke ($12 or so a pound, half the price of Dolphin Fish Market) and INCREDIBLE banana nut bread (on top of counter, $3.50 for a huge slice that was so yummy). Only a couple of picnic tables there but we drove 10 mins to Salt Pond park and found a table there.

Very local, very authentic, very wonderful. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank lucyandethel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A small grocery store to meet all your needs”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We got dairy and a few pantry items to last us while we were in Waimea, and we also got bento box lunches to go every day from their awesome deli. My husband also got beer. Great place!

Visited February 2014