“Great Staff”

Cuisines: Polynesian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013

They work hard to make your meal at Wrangler's good, and if you are out west it is one of your few options. I was a little disappointed that there were not more steaks on the menu..., but the soup and salad were god and the staff was attentive; like most restaurants on the island there is no a/c, so it can get warm inside.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a receptionist at the plantation estates nearby, but ended up being the only place we COULD go to in town after 5pm. Why do they all close by 5pm? That doesn't make sense!
I enjoyed a nice peppery steak of overwhelming proportions and my very first pina colada ever. They were both delightful! But there wasn't much to choose from on the menu and the salad bar was unfamiliar (local cuisine) and grungy, which made me shy away.
Apparently they have their own tourist shop within the restaurant in case you wanted to get that out of the way while you were waiting for your food...

Reviewed November 19, 2013

One of the few places to eat after 5:00 p.m. in Waimea. The food and atmosphere is very nice. My husband had the prime rib and I had the pork ribs...both were delicious. The sauce was excellent. The dinner also came with an all you can eat salad bar and soup. Service is good. At 6:00 p.m. they have live music also. There's a bar area. There's also a small gift shop on the premises as well.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Granted, this is a steakhouse & one might do better sticking with the house speciality, but we had a remarkably bad dinner featuring soggy tempura vegetables - fried in batter with the taste & ltexture if course sawdust batter - and blackened hebi (short-billed spearfish), an unpleasantly oily yet blandly insipid fish that made me yearn for herring or mackerel. The four dessert choices were easy to pass up. Lukewarm espresso seemed a fitting ending for this sorry outing.

The poor quality food arrived after a very long wait and chilly service. Seemed like local customers got preferential treatment, which would have been more tolerable had the food been at least decent.

Dinner at Wrangler proved an unfortunate sequel to a gorgeous sunset. Buying produce at Big Save or making the lengthy drive to Poipu for a restaurant meal would have been better choices.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We were looking for a place to have lunch before we headed into Waimea Canyon. This restaurant look like a decent place to stop so we checked it out. We were treated to a fabulous meal along with great service.

First off, the passion fruit margarita was to die for! I'm not a margarita fan, but this drink really hit the spot. We all ordered a meal that came with their salad bar. This was not your typical salad bar by any means. They did have lettuce, carrots and tomatoes with a delicious papaya seed dressing, but everything else was very unique. They had pasta salad (good), pickled radish (not my thing), soup (good), edamame (good), fruit salad with coconut (great minus the coconut) and a couple of other things. All in all, I really liked the unusual choices, but I can see where others would be disappointed if they were expecting a SALAD bar.

I had their fresh catch of the day, Hebe, on a bed of steamed rice with a garlic butter sauce that was absolutely SUPERB. Quite a large portion, too. Plenty to take home for dinner later that night. My mom and husband both had the "miners lunch." It was served in a unique manner and provided a good sampling of teriyaki beef (AMAZING), tempura shrimp and vegetables (delicious) and steamed rice with kimchee. They really enjoyed everything minus the kimchee, but I think that is just an acquired taste.

If we had any room left, we would have shared the sampler dessert platter, but we were all completely stuffed.

I should mention that the service was great, too. We were seated promptly, received our drinks and meals quickly and were constantly attended to by anyone walking by. There was not a dirty dish left on the table for long. I highly recommend the patio seating as well.

This was a great find and we will absolutely return again the next time we are on Kauai.