Ways to Experience Waimea Canyon
from $120.00
from $140.00
from $114.69
5,868 results
All reviews winding road hiking trails look outs beautiful drive kokee state park breathtaking views pu'u o kila take your time lookout point red dirt well worth the trip easy drive sunny day rental car napali coast take pictures helicopter ride
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

It’s hard to describe just how beautiful the Waimea Canyon is in person. We looked at it from several scenic overlook points, but hiking into it on the canyon trail was the best way to see it. The trail is potentially dangerous, so definitely NOT for small children as there are a few vistas with very high cliffs and no guard rails. Moderately difficult hike with potential muddy spots, but totally worth the effort!

Reviewed 2 days ago

My son, once again, wanted me to see the view from this hike's lookout point. It was 3.2 miles each way and it was not the easiest hike I've done. We were told by Hawaiians to get there before noon to be able to get a great view since the clouds tend to come in later.

Be prepared to get whatever shoes you're wearing muddy. The majority of the hike is covered by trees so the ground moisture doesn't dry up in areas that got very wet. Also, it is a climb which I found to be more difficult on the return leg. I'm pretty fit but had to stop a few times to catch my breath. Also, make sure to take at least two bottles of water per person.

It took us around five hours to do the hike.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

This is a long trail, not for the faint of heart, but it is worth it. I would recommend starting in the morning, so you have plenty of daylight. I'm 56 and it took us 1-1/2 hours down to the point, then 2 hours back up. It wore me out! I'm about 230 pounds, 40 lbs overweight. My heart was working hard. Would recommend walking sticks. Mud, roots wet spots are all encountered on this hike.

Reviewed 3 days ago

It really doesn't need to reference other canyons. It is beautiful in its own right. The drive up is interesting in itself and worth stopping along the way. Well worth building into your plans.

Reviewed 3 days ago

I go to the park and view the canyon every time we are in Kauai. The drive there is interesting, could have a few easier signs, but the hunt is worth the end views. Don’t be afraid to stop at some of the viewing areas along the way. They bring things to perspective once you get to the top which is about 3800 feet above sea level.
If you can, take a helicopter ride, the sights will knock your socks off. Just realize that the helicopter ride is pricey.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

Simply gorgeous. Awesome stops on both sides of the road up. Our family of 5 loved the view and the photo ops!

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

We drove up to the overlook. Easy drive to a parking lot with a short sidewalk hike to the overlook. A real treat. Don't miss it.

Reviewed 3 days ago

There is an app that you can choose one of the areas on the island; the Waimea Canyon trip is GPS controlled and stops when you do. It will tell you to take side trips if you want and describes history and tradition. The ride is nice and the museum is a good stop along the way.

Reviewed 3 days ago

Many viewpoints around the canyon, and hiking trails in many areas, including a muddy and challenging hike starting at the end of the highway (Pihea Trail and Viewpoint and Alaka'i Swamp trail). Every vista of this canyon is magnificent

Reviewed 3 days ago

But still beautiful in its own right as well as scenic and unique. I think the worst part of visiting the Waimee Canyon was the drive from Princeville. It took 2 1/2 hours by car to get there and that was one way. If you're a hiker, it looks like the hiking trails were spectacular as well as challenging. Otherwise, expect to drive from one scenic outlook to another.