Ways to Experience Waimea Canyon
from $120.00
from $140.00
from $114.69
5,872 results
All reviews winding road hiking trails look outs beautiful drive kokee state park breathtaking views pu'u o kila take your time lookout point red dirt well worth the trip easy drive sunny day rental car napali coast take pictures helicopter ride
Reviewed 2 days ago

Hard to imagine just how beautiful and worthwhile this trip is. Incredible vistas at every turn! Must see!

Reviewed 3 days ago

As suggested in another review, from Kaumualii Hwy, take Hwy 550 to take in many breathtaking views. On this route ther are lots of turnouts where you can safely pull off the highway and get out of your car for memorable photo ops. You’ll also drive right by the falls. We stopped no less than ten times before arriving at Kokee. There are several places to stop for a picnic lunch should you decide to pack or purchase one. There are also tables at the upper most lookout where you can lunch wth views of Wai Ale Ale, one of the wettest spots on earth, and also view the Na Pali coast.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

This drive does not disappoint! Beautiful views of the canyon and the Waimea Falls along the way. We started hitting the main lookouts by mid-morning and though the road was felt fairly untrafficked, the lots at the lookouts were pretty full though so many ar e4 incoming and going that there was never a wait for an parking spot. It is worth it to drive all the way to the end of the road where there is a trailhead and beautiful views of the coastline below. The vendor at one of the stops on the way up had a nice assortment of fresh baked items, refreshments, and fresh coconut and other honey. The views along the way were epic and we were fortunate to have had good weather though as I believe we were early in the day. Highly recommend this drive!

Reviewed 4 days ago

Had the privilege to visit the canyon during a family trip. It takes some time to get to the canyon and the roads are not the best, but it is well worth it in the end. The view is just breath taking. Its a great opportunity to stop and breathe the freshest air.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

It’s hard to describe just how beautiful the Waimea Canyon is in person. We looked at it from several scenic overlook points, but hiking into it on the canyon trail was the best way to see it. The trail is potentially dangerous, so definitely NOT for small children as there are a few vistas with very high cliffs and no guard rails. Moderately difficult hike with potential muddy spots, but totally worth the effort!

Reviewed 6 days ago

My son, once again, wanted me to see the view from this hike's lookout point. It was 3.2 miles each way and it was not the easiest hike I've done. We were told by Hawaiians to get there before noon to be able to get a great view since the clouds tend to come in later.

Be prepared to get whatever shoes you're wearing muddy. The majority of the hike is covered by trees so the ground moisture doesn't dry up in areas that got very wet. Also, it is a climb which I found to be more difficult on the return leg. I'm pretty fit but had to stop a few times to catch my breath. Also, make sure to take at least two bottles of water per person.

It took us around five hours to do the hike.

1  Thank EllesseB
Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

This is a long trail, not for the faint of heart, but it is worth it. I would recommend starting in the morning, so you have plenty of daylight. I'm 56 and it took us 1-1/2 hours down to the point, then 2 hours back up. It wore me out! I'm about 230 pounds, 40 lbs overweight. My heart was working hard. Would recommend walking sticks. Mud, roots wet spots are all encountered on this hike.

Reviewed 1 week ago

It really doesn't need to reference other canyons. It is beautiful in its own right. The drive up is interesting in itself and worth stopping along the way. Well worth building into your plans.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I go to the park and view the canyon every time we are in Kauai. The drive there is interesting, could have a few easier signs, but the hunt is worth the end views. Don’t be afraid to stop at some of the viewing areas along the way. They bring things to perspective once you get to the top which is about 3800 feet above sea level.
If you can, take a helicopter ride, the sights will knock your socks off. Just realize that the helicopter ride is pricey.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Simply gorgeous. Awesome stops on both sides of the road up. Our family of 5 loved the view and the photo ops!