“Hoping they can work out their problems”
Review of The Grove Cafe - CLOSED

The Grove Cafe
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Danville, California
“Hoping they can work out their problems”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Plantation Cottages are my favorite place in the world and I wish they would work together with this restaurant since it is an integral part of the whole experience here. I understand they are having problems. The bigger part of the restaurant which faces the ocean wasn't even available to us the whole week we were there and it is a lovely place to dine. We ate with a view of the parking lot out front. The local music on Thursday was wonderful and the karioke music nights are sort of fun. The food is definitely above average by Hawaii standards, not great, but satisfying. The staff seems downtrodden and discouraged and several are poorly trained. I wish they could get a manager for the whole property and spiff things up. It's a gem.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank marjorie v

Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Don't go if they have live music”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Plantation Cottages (wonderful) but decided to eat, with friends, at the adjoining restaurant on one of the nights when they offer live music. BIG MISTAKE! The music was so loud that it was impossible to have a conversation. I could occasionally hear people at an adjoining table yelling at each other but that was the only was to converse.
I can't comment on the food since my main objective soon became to just finish and get out. And we weren't even near the musicians.

Omaha
“Excellent salad, beautiful atmosphere”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had the apples n greens salad with chicken. Comes with MAC nuts, bleu cheese dressing and grapes. Delicious but grade b for the dark meat chicken. Service could have been just a little better, but nothing major. Large portion, can sit indoors or out. Nice stop in the way to waimea canyon.

1 Thank Brenpaint
Portland, Oregon
“I want this place to be better but....”
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we have eaten here in the past 5 months. In August 2012, which I am not rating here, our experience was similar. We went recently hoping for a change. My hamburger was ok but my wife's dish was dry beyond anyone's meaning of acceptable. The ambiance of the restaurant is pleasant and relaxing but he service seems to be just like doing a job and getting it done. The interaction is minimal at best. After we ordered the server had to come back to ask again what we ordered. I was very disappointed and probably will not go back again for a meal. I hope they get it right because Waimea Plantation is such a wonderful place.

1 Thank swj1051
Chisago City, Minnesota
“Good Burger”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Ate here on the back porch while staying at the on site Plantation Cottages. Used the coupon we received upon registering so saved 15%. Angus burgers were served on taro buns. (Don't fear the purple!) Great fries. The Mai Tais are only $4.00 during Happy Hour!

• Visited January 2013