“Great local place”

Yumi's Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 19 Restaurants in Waimea
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great small local place. We did lunch here and really like it. Special was pork and it was great. Also recommend the teriyaki beef plate. They had good options for kids, burger, grilled cheese, etc. not much on atmosphere but food and service were great.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My partner and I went to Yumi's (now "Gina's") for breakfast. I had eggs over easy and rice. The food was fresh and tasty. The service was friendly and professional. The prices some of the most reasonable on the island. But, the paper plates, styrofoam cups, and plasticware would keep me from going back. I was surprised too with this kind of waste, especially in a place like Kaua'i where so many people are aware of the environmental impact of living on an island. The restaurant would be a sweeter little café rather than an average diner with the addition of dishes, silverware, cups, and glasses.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Okay, we stumbled upon this place on our way up to Waimea Canyon and what a find! The staff there was super-friendly even though the place was packed. Keep in mind the place is tiny! I opted for the mini Loco Moco (hamburger patty, one scoop of rice, one egg and brown gravy) - an island favorite, my husband opted for the French Toast made from Portuguese sweet bread and bacon, were both quite happy with our choices and the prices are quite good. Mom was at the front counter while Gina worked the grill. Both ladies chatted with us and made us feel at home in a place that's clearly a local hangout. I really wanted to try one of their homemade coconut fried pies but didn't have any room left.

Yumi's has been featured twice on the Travel Channel and they're only too happy to talk about the experiences.

NOTE: Yumi's isn't open Sundays or Mondays.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stopped by this place based on reviews we saw online. We were given a very warm reception, something that is so rare these days!!! So this won me over right away!!! :) You place your order at the counter and then they bring the food out to you. I ordered a combo plate lunch with chicken katsu and teri beef. Both of these were SO delicious, but the teri beef is unlike any other I have had before...SOOOO YUMMY!!!!!! My husband got the loco moco. While he did like it alot, he said it seemed like it was missing something...he thinks it would have been even better with onions. I wanted to go back the next day for more teri beef, but unfortunately they closed earlier than I had realized. I will definitely be visiting Yumi's on my next visit!!! :)

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Another restaurant on Kaua'i that does NOT contribute to the reputation for indifferent service. We went by for dinner on Friday - apparently the only day they're open for dinner. I'd been disappointed by my first saimin experience, but Yumi's rocked - lots of chucks of goodies. The apple pie was tasty enough. My wife's burger was, unfortunately, quite mediocre. It reminded me of school lunch fare. No alcohol served.
Bonus - walking distance from the park and wharf, which offers a SPECTACULAR sunset from the park bench at the gazebo at the end of the wharf. We sat with some locals, drank beer and laughed it up.