This collection of former sugar plantation worker cottages has lovely grounds and is the perfect place to take long sunset walks along the beach. It's quiet and private, though within walking distance to Waimea, a small town that has true Hawaiian character, with great local markets and places to eat. (I personally much prefer this laid back and relatively untouristed part of the island to the heavily developed east, or the north, which has great scenery but is fast becoming a haven for wealthy mainlanders).
Our cottage itself was very spacious for a couple, and had a huge bathroom with both tub and shower. It was great having a full kitchen, and being able to do some cooking using fresh local ingredients. (This is not the part of Kauai where you go if you want to do lots of high end dining, but that's now what we went to Hawaii for).
In summary, the Waimea Plantation Cottages gave us exactly what we were looking for, a relaxed vacation in a beautiful tropical setting with real island feeling. It's not inexpensive, but this is Hawaii, and based on my comparison shopping we had an entire small house for about what you would pay for a basic room (without ocean view) at one of the large resort hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you’re seeking more than a manufactured island vacation, where better than Kauai’s sunny, laid-back western shore? Nestled in the idyllic and friendly town of Waimea, our tropical oceanfront oasis offers you a Kauai from a gentler, more authentic time. One step onto our property and you’ll feel it. It’s in the air. The quiet seclusion, tranquil surroundings, soft welcoming smiles. It beckons to you with a simple invitation, “Unplug your mind, recharge your body and rejuvenate your spirit.” In our collection are 60 authentic plantation-era cottages, some dating to the late 1800’s, sharing a 27-acre tropical coconut grove along the ocean. Ranging from one to five bedrooms, no two cottages are alike and each has a personality of its own. Better yet, our oceanfront location gives you easy access to some of Nature’s most stunning landscapes, like Waimea Canyon (the Grand Canyon of the Pacific) and the Na Pali Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Waimea Plantation Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages Hotel Waimea
- Resortquest Waimea Plantation Cottages
- Waimea Plantation Cottages Kauai