If you’ve never been to Kauai before, the first thing you’ll notice when you arrive is that there are chickens everywhere! We were told that hurricane Iniki destroyed the chicken coops and released the birds, and without any natural predators, their population on the island has exploded. Whatever the reason for all the chickens, the Waimea Plantation Cottages with their vast expanses of lawns and plantings, make for an attractive habitat for the chickens and they run amok throughout the property. And unfortunately, about half the chicken population on the island are roosters. And if you think that rooster’s only crow in the mornings at sunrise, think again…these roosters crow 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! It really was frustrating to think you would be hearing birds singing while listening to the wave’s crash against the shore, only to have those sounds interrupted every few minutes by roosters crowing.
My only other complaint was the laundry facilities. The laundry room, and its single washer and dryer, is located in a dilapidated, run-down building behind the cottages. It was filthy dirty and we opted to take our laundry into town to a laundry mat.
However, if you can get past the roosters crowing and not needing to do laundry, the Plantation Cottages are a great throw-back to a simpler time on the islands. Even with my two complaints, we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The cottages and their furnishings all feel like you’ve just stepped back into the 1930’s to a less hectic time and place. While the cottages and their rooms are very basic, they are also comfortable and clean. We were looking for a place to just sit back and relax and Waimea Plantation Cottages fit that bill perfectly. Would I go back? Probably, but this time I’d take ear plugs and enough laundry to last a week…
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private, individual plantation cottages set on a historic 27-acre coconut plantation in a beachside setting close to Kauai's famous Napali Coast and Waimea Canyon. Each self-contained cottage has been fully restored with modern appliances, full kitchens, and amenities. The simple, comfortable charm, genuine history and beautiful grounds allow guests to enjoy a unique experience unlike any other in the islands. Waimea Plantation Cottages offers beautiful settings for Wedding Celebrations, Anniversaries, Family Reunions, and Corporate Business meetings. Note: The restaurant will be closed temporarily as we remodel and transition the restaurant to a new restaurant operator and will re-open in mid-to-late fall of 2013. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience. During this transition, we suggest trying some of the other dining options in Waimea Town such as Wrangler's Steak House. But do come and try our new restaurant once it reopens! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Waimea Plantation Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages Hotel Waimea
- Resortquest Waimea Plantation Cottages
- Waimea Plantation Cottages Kauai