“An authentic Hawaiian way to relax”

Waimea Plantation Cottages
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The Waimea Plantation Cottages has just about everything you could want in a vacation that takes you away from the chaos of bright lights, endless cars and trucks, and hordes of people. We spend the weekend in a very private, very complete, one bedroom cottage. We had it all to ourselves and it included a complete kitchen with all the dishes and pots and pans (and two kinds of wine openers! Even had a blender for smoothies.) The grounds were beautifully maintained and were full of local flowers and greenery. There was a huge plumeria tree in front of our cottage and the fragrance was wonderful. I had breakfast (a huge golden ripe mango that I bought from the farmers' market down the road) on our shaded porch that overlooked the beach. At night, I went to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. The beach isn't a swimming beach, with driftwood scattered about, but the sand is beautiful! It is broken-down lava rocks (that's why the sand is black...) and there's sparkles from the green olivine (peridot) throughout. There's couple of markets nearby so you could stock up on food there and spend the rest of the time enjoying yourself in your own little Hawaiian world. Don't stay here if you're looking to find blitz and bling. You won't find it in these quaint little cottages. (There's two and three bedroom cottages as well.)

Room Tip: We had cottage #33, on the edge of the property, near the black sand beach. There were chickens runn...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Xsquared
There are newer reviews for Waimea Plantation Cottages

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at the cottages from April 29th, 2012 to May 9th, 2012. We could have stayed forever. We were in Cabin 53. There were two of us, my husband and I, and we booked a 1-bedroom away from the ocean with a garden view. Cabin 53 is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, with a big kitchen and huge lanai. I have no idea why we were moved to the larger cabin, but it was great! The view of the gardens was stunning. We loved the wild roosters and chickens, the abundant flowering trees and plants. We had an old-growth plumeria tree directly in front our lanai that dropped fragrant blossoms every morning.

The historic driftwood beach with its dark sand is amazing. Not for swimming, but there are many great swimming beaches a short drive away. The views are incredible from everywhere on the plantation. The cottages are NOT upscale by any means, but a traveler looking for a peaceful "old world" Hawaiian experience will be delighted. These cabins are old and charming with a pervasive historical feel. While staying there we imagined what Hawaii must have been like 80 or 100 years earlier. There is a small on-site museum, a cute gift shop, and a really decent restaurant that offers authentic Hawaiian live music Wed, Thur and Friday nights, and is not overpriced. There are hammocks strung between palms, a decent swimming pool overlooking the ocean, sand volley ball, DVDs for rent, games, HUGE banyon trees that are hundreds of years old near the sea, and flowering plants everywhere. If you are looking for wild nightlife, room service, 5-star restaurants, a spa, big poolside parties, this is NOT the place for you. But if you want peace, natural beauty, and a taste of authentic old-world Hawaii, there is no better place than the Waimea Plantation Cottages. We are already planning a second trip to the cottages. Next time, I think we'll try an ocean side or ocean view room.

Room Tip: Be aware that these are not upscale accommodations. The rooms and cottages are old. They are not...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank peggy and steve w
Reviewed April 19, 2012

These plantation homes are set in a beautiful coconut grove, right on the ocean. Each one is restored to different levels of fit and finish. You cottage choice matters! Our ocean front cottage had a full kitchen and a front porch overlooking the lawn, the beach and the ocean.

This was our favorite stay in Kauai. We had been rained on in the north for 4 days and the sunshine of the western part of Kauai was a welcome relief.

It has a different energy than Poipu or Hanalei … you slow down, relax and take time in the hammock. The beach is not for swimming and the pool is nothing fancy but what gives this place a real charm for family’s is the big expansive lawn. We played volleyball, shuffleboard, played Frisbee, played games, watched DVD’s, made our own food and were able to relax and chill in this quiet location. Each night we had the ocean lulling us to sleep. We had fantastic sunsets. We collected fun driftwood. This is the good news.

The bad news is each cottage is not the same experience in quality. When we checked in they put us over in Sea, which is in a more forested area … and while it looks fantastic from the map, in the forest you feel removed from what we consider the Waimea Plantation Cottage experience … big lawns, palm trees and openness. The mold and the mustiness and low level of clean had us want to move. In fact we would of not stayed if they were not able to find another room. We were told there we no more ocean front rooms, which is what we had booked. But a garden cottage would have been fine. We looked at a couple and then they “found” a two-bed room oceanfront. Overall the front desk was helpful but with the dates getting mixed up in our reservation, the confusion of what was available, and then when we went to check out the bill was wrong, the available rooms confusion, all left us with little trust in their systems. I strongly recommend you check and double-check your reservations with Waimea. Asked to be moved if you don’t like the cottage. Don’t expect perfection … that is part of the charm but ask for what you want. Though smaller we liked the ocean front room 36. Again we had to ask them to clean the room again as it was still dirty.

The charm of the place, the location, with the above caveats, have us recommend this as a place to stay in Kauai.

Room Tip: This is the most important part of a successful stay at WPC. Be specific in what you want and be de...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shepfamily
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I loved our stay at the Plantation cottages for one week in March 2012.

First, the lodge is a lovely, welcoming building. We stopped down almost every day to drink coffee in the morning or a delicious cocktail in the evening. We sat in rocking chairs facing the ocean, about one hundred yards away, and listened to the sounds of the forest. The amazing plants, trees, bushes and shrubs all about the grounds provided plenty of cover for various birds, which chirped and sang beautifully all day. We took many photos of the vegetation and are still amazed at the variety and uniqueness available just on this one resort.

Our cottage was quaint and well maintained. Wood floors throughout, except the bathroom, a comfortable bed, an old but functionable kitchen, a nice porch around back facing the garden. The bathroom was definitely a detractor, it was old as well, probably clean, but you couldn't really tell. Old linoleum on the floor and a stained bathtub gave the room a dirty feel.

We ate at the resaurant just about once each day. The ambience was fantastic. We ate outside with tables facing the mountain, in the evening torches were lit, and live music added to the romantic atmosphere. One night, there was a local band who were absolutely fantastic. I wish I could find their CD, they had some elderly gentlemen on ukele's, and the younger talent on steel guitars, and lead vocals who did something close to yodeling. Might sound different, boy did it work. The beer and wine was great, my wife drank more coconut cocktails in a week than in her entire life combined. She loved them. The entrees were OK, but nothing spectacular. The most memorable part of the meals tended to be the hors d'oeuvres and soup.

This not a luxury resort, however, one that feels authentic and very relaxed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madskiier
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This charming place is so restful and restorative. I arose early every morning to sit on the lani, surrounded by a lush tropical garden overlooking the pacific, breathing in the fragrant air and enjoying the chorus of bird song. The goal every day, after our excursions around the island, was to get back to our cottage and enjoy the sunsets on our peaceful lani. This is not the destination for those who desire a modern upscale environment with lots of activities (crowds and chaos) on site. There are many resorts to choose from for this type of vacation. Mahalo to the friendly, welcoming staff. I am looking forward to returning there again and again.

Room Tip: Be specific about the number of beds you need. We needed to sleep three adults. Accommodations for...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Once I saw this place, I never wanted to leave. I could go to sleep in my "own" little cottage, hearing the ocean. I could take my morning coffee to the ocean - in my pajamas - and have it all to myself. I had my "pet" rooster and his sweet family of 9 chicks; 2 "pet" frogs on my front lawn at night. No resort life; perfect sunsets; great weather, tropical drinks in the evening. I could live here. It's not perfect and if it were my property, I would use a little elbow grease and perfect it, and it's not for everyone. But in my whole life, I think it was the happiest place I have ever stayed!! And I have traveled a lot.

Room Tip: choose ones near the ocean or with an ocean view or in the beautiful forested area
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We could have "roosted" on the back porch all day and all night. Too bad this is in Kauai, so we had to get out and see the nearby "Grand Canyon of Hawaii," the old-time towns nearby, and (in case I forget), the Pacific Ocean at the edge of our yard!

If you want atmosphere, this is it! Our cottage felt like living in the early 20th Century, but with modern electricity and plumbing. If you want contemporary, fancy digs, this is not it. Get to the restaurant-bar early; the food is good and the traditional entertainment is amazing!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waimea Plantation Cottages? Share your experiences!