The West Inn Kauai(Waimea)(Great Value!)
$198
$389
$369
Orbitz.com
$305
  • Pool
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort(Poipu)
$465
Hyatt.com
$102
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Kauai Palms Hotel(Lihue)(Great Value!)
$105
The Kauai Inn(Lihue)(Great Value!)
$189
All reviewsold hawaiibedroom cottageblack sand beachplantation cottagessalt pondwest sidebanyan treesauthentic hawaiian experiencelaid backkokee state parkishihara marketnearby riverfull kitchenrocking chairsthree bedroomshrimp stationbeautiful grounds
Reviewed April 19, 2012

These plantation homes are set in a beautiful coconut grove, right on the ocean. Each one is restored to different levels of fit and finish. You cottage choice matters! Our ocean front cottage had a full kitchen and a front porch overlooking the lawn, the beach and the ocean.

This was our favorite stay in Kauai. We had been rained on in the north for 4 days and the sunshine of the western part of Kauai was a welcome relief.

It has a different energy than Poipu or Hanalei … you slow down, relax and take time in the hammock. The beach is not for swimming and the pool is nothing fancy but what gives this place a real charm for family’s is the big expansive lawn. We played volleyball, shuffleboard, played Frisbee, played games, watched DVD’s, made our own food and were able to relax and chill in this quiet location. Each night we had the ocean lulling us to sleep. We had fantastic sunsets. We collected fun driftwood. This is the good news.

The bad news is each cottage is not the same experience in quality. When we checked in they put us over in Sea, which is in a more forested area … and while it looks fantastic from the map, in the forest you feel removed from what we consider the Waimea Plantation Cottage experience … big lawns, palm trees and openness. The mold and the mustiness and low level of clean had us want to move. In fact we would of not stayed if they were not able to find another room. We were told there we no more ocean front rooms, which is what we had booked. But a garden cottage would have been fine. We looked at a couple and then they “found” a two-bed room oceanfront. Overall the front desk was helpful but with the dates getting mixed up in our reservation, the confusion of what was available, and then when we went to check out the bill was wrong, the available rooms confusion, all left us with little trust in their systems. I strongly recommend you check and double-check your reservations with Waimea. Asked to be moved if you don’t like the cottage. Don’t expect perfection … that is part of the charm but ask for what you want. Though smaller we liked the ocean front room 36. Again we had to ask them to clean the room again as it was still dirty.

The charm of the place, the location, with the above caveats, have us recommend this as a place to stay in Kauai.

Room Tip: This is the most important part of a successful stay at WPC. Be specific in what you want and be demanding in getting it. I have attached the resort map as a photo to give you an idea of the property.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shepfamily
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I loved our stay at the Plantation cottages for one week in March 2012.

First, the lodge is a lovely, welcoming building. We stopped down almost every day to drink coffee in the morning or a delicious cocktail in the evening. We sat in rocking chairs facing the ocean, about one hundred yards away, and listened to the sounds of the forest. The amazing plants, trees, bushes and shrubs all about the grounds provided plenty of cover for various birds, which chirped and sang beautifully all day. We took many photos of the vegetation and are still amazed at the variety and uniqueness available just on this one resort.

Our cottage was quaint and well maintained. Wood floors throughout, except the bathroom, a comfortable bed, an old but functionable kitchen, a nice porch around back facing the garden. The bathroom was definitely a detractor, it was old as well, probably clean, but you couldn't really tell. Old linoleum on the floor and a stained bathtub gave the room a dirty feel.

We ate at the resaurant just about once each day. The ambience was fantastic. We ate outside with tables facing the mountain, in the evening torches were lit, and live music added to the romantic atmosphere. One night, there was a local band who were absolutely fantastic. I wish I could find their CD, they had some elderly gentlemen on ukele's, and the younger talent on steel guitars, and lead vocals who did something close to yodeling. Might sound different, boy did it work. The beer and wine was great, my wife drank more coconut cocktails in a week than in her entire life combined. She loved them. The entrees were OK, but nothing spectacular. The most memorable part of the meals tended to be the hors d'oeuvres and soup.

This not a luxury resort, however, one that feels authentic and very relaxed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madskiier
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This charming place is so restful and restorative. I arose early every morning to sit on the lani, surrounded by a lush tropical garden overlooking the pacific, breathing in the fragrant air and enjoying the chorus of bird song. The goal every day, after our excursions around the island, was to get back to our cottage and enjoy the sunsets on our peaceful lani. This is not the destination for those who desire a modern upscale environment with lots of activities (crowds and chaos) on site. There are many resorts to choose from for this type of vacation. Mahalo to the friendly, welcoming staff. I am looking forward to returning there again and again.

Room Tip: Be specific about the number of beds you need. We needed to sleep three adults. Accommodations for three could be two queen beds, but we did not want to share a bed. We requested two twin beds and a queen. Our cottage had two bedrooms; one with a king size bed and the other with two twin beds. There was also a daybed in a sleeping porch off the master bedroom.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Once I saw this place, I never wanted to leave. I could go to sleep in my "own" little cottage, hearing the ocean. I could take my morning coffee to the ocean - in my pajamas - and have it all to myself. I had my "pet" rooster and his sweet family of 9 chicks; 2 "pet" frogs on my front lawn at night. No resort life; perfect sunsets; great weather, tropical drinks in the evening. I could live here. It's not perfect and if it were my property, I would use a little elbow grease and perfect it, and it's not for everyone. But in my whole life, I think it was the happiest place I have ever stayed!! And I have traveled a lot.

Room Tip: choose ones near the ocean or with an ocean view or in the beautiful forested area
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We could have "roosted" on the back porch all day and all night. Too bad this is in Kauai, so we had to get out and see the nearby "Grand Canyon of Hawaii," the old-time towns nearby, and (in case I forget), the Pacific Ocean at the edge of our yard!

If you want atmosphere, this is it! Our cottage felt like living in the early 20th Century, but with modern electricity and plumbing. If you want contemporary, fancy digs, this is not it. Get to the restaurant-bar early; the food is good and the traditional entertainment is amazing!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family