All reviewsold hawaiibedroom cottageblack sand beachplantation cottagessalt pondwest sidebanyan treesauthentic hawaiian experiencelaid backkokee state parkishihara marketnearby riverfull kitchenrocking chairsthree bedroomshrimp stationbeautiful grounds
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Drive west of the airport toward the quiet side of Kauai. Nostalgic, simple but functional cottages with on-site restaurant (decent, not great), black sand beach (not for swimming or power walking) just right for a stroll among the drift wood. The staff was very nice. The grounds are kept up great. Just the ideal setting to experience Kauai.

Room Tip: Cabin #3 is on the most private part of the grounds. Make sure your bedroom has a window unit AC as the roosters will crow early and often - they are wild there and kind of loud.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BobInTheVille
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The cottages are simple, rustic, but comfortable and basically clean, with wifi (although my blackberry could not connect - the iphone did )and dvd and wide screen tvs, terraces, bbq, sun bedsand a room safe etc. Our bed was an Empire size, large and comfortable.

You have to read the blurb before you get here - these are old plantation cottages so dont expect luxury (hence not too much lighting at night - but it means you can see the stars better.) but to give you an idea of the atmosphere - some people gathered round a bonfire in the evenings by the beach and chat, others swung in hammocks, its so very relaxed.

The location is lovely,The staff are friendly. If you want a quiet, relaxing place - this one is for you - Waimea is a sleepy town with a few eateries and a couple of shops. Dont come here if you are after wild nighlife but come here if you just want to chill. The on sire restaurant (the Cafe) is very good. HOWEVER this place, as most others, has Cockrels roaming around - so bring ear plugs. Please message me with any questions- delighted to help.

PS i asked the hotel for a feedback card but was told that the hotel doesnt do a comment card system, instead they ask you to review them on TA - which is a very open way of doing it. So, thank you Aston for a lovely stay - my tiny comments would be that:
1. the cottage bathroom could do with new floor tiles and
2.the bathroom could just do with a better clean in some of the corners...
3.scrap the Karaoke in the bar on Tuesdays- very painful to listen to if you are trying to have a nice meal in the lovely bistro.
4.Lastly please do something about the cockrels - either get some dogs and cats or remove the cockrells vocal chords. The cockrell calls through out the night were very annoying.

Room Tip: Get the resort map and chose - all depends on teh size that you need and what you would like (close to pool, sea views ) for a single room cottage 38 is right in front of the beach - cottage 47 is further back but still has a direct view of the sea...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank anitafiona
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This review is a little late, but in September 2011 my two friends and I had just got done hiking the Alaka'i Swamp Trail when we checked in. Dirty, sweaty, and tired we probably looked like three bums looking for a handout. No matter, we were treated with smiles and much friendliness. (Our wives were meeting us there later that afternoon) I'd reserved a 2 bedroom cottage and about fell over when the nice lady told us she had us booked into the Kruse House as a complimentary upgrade since there would be six of us! Talk about lucky, the Kruse House was amazing! A historic two story mansion with five bedrooms, five bathrooms, a nice kitchen, dining room, and living room. The only downside I can see is it may have ruined me for anything less as I will always judge future accommodations by the Kruse House. Not fair I know, but it’s true! (This was our second trip to Kauai in 2011; we stayed on the east side of the island, north of Lihue at Kauai Beach Villas – another really nice place - the first trip.)

The Waimea Plantation Cottages grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The restaurant was nice, with great beer and friendly service and although the restaurant wasn’t open for breakfast, the main office building had free coffee and it was the good stuff!

The pool was adequate and very clean but not very big by some standards. The beach was nice and as mentioned by others here, and made for some very memorable sunsets.

There was a big lanai where we had a little party with some friends who live down the road in Kekaha. We picked up a tri-tip at the Costco in Lihue and cooked it on the Weber briquette barbeque grill. That, along with some Longboard Island Lager and Mai-Tais while the geckos put on a show for us, made for a fine evening.

Is the WPC the flashiest or fanciest place to stay, well no, but if that’s what you want then find a place in Waikiki. This is Kauai and what I would like to think as close to old Hawaii as one could experience in these modern times.

In summary, we loved every minute of our stay and were all wishing we didn't have to leave, not only because of the upgrade, but because of how everyone from the grounds keepers to the managers were friendly and happy. None of us will ever forget our stay. We're already planning our return trip!

(Note: the rating area in this review has a Room Service box I had to check, but there is no 'room service' at the WPC but if there was I'm sure it would be excellent so that's how I marked it!)

Room Tip: Try to book a room close to the beach for the view and Trade Winds to help keep your cottage cool without the AC running.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I loved the approach to this place and the time-warp charm of the lovely lobby and verandah. The view from the main building across the avenue of trees and the cottages and then to the sea was breathtaking. I loved it all. And the service was excellent, that's another good thing to mention here. But try as I might I did not like the garden view cottage. I really tried to like it, and I even expected it to be no-frills, but sometimes old isn't rustic, or romantic, just old, and this just felt in need of a major comfort-makeover. Nothing felt all that comfortable or clean; the kitchen table was sticky; the shower was clean but never looked clean; the phone didn't work. It had a neglected feel about it. The cottage was next to the one road which leads to the public beach, so there were always vehicles in front and always engine noise. On our first morning, we had maintenance men repairing fences outside and a man with a ridiculously loud lawn-mower spending hours keeping the grass looking neat (and there's a lot of grass). We tried to move but every other cottage was booked. There was just so much noise, and it never felt quiet till after 6pm. But it was from sunset onwards that this place seemed magical again: the hammock by the sea, the great little restaurant, and the long vistas of palm trees. If you go, try and get as big a cottage as you can, and away from the road. They looked much nicer, really beautiful in fact, and that's where I'd stay if I ever go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sunandr
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We have mixed feelings. There are good things to say - it's right near the Canyon, the grounds are well-kept, the pool is nice and was hardly being used during our stay, and the property has a large oceanfront. But people who are considering staying at the Plantation Cottages should be aware of features that we found disappointing. The cottage interiors, fixtures, etc. are out of the 50's, reminding us of cottages in the New York Catskills. Some find this charming; we didn't. It was hard to lock our windows; in fact, one of our window locks was broken. The bed was pretty small. There isn't a beach here - its a driftwood collection, it's not attractive and we don't think an ocean swim here is a good idea. The grounds are mostly dark at night, so we found walking to and from our cottage to the restaurant a bit tricky. If we come back to Kauai on another visit to Hawaii, we won't stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family