“No frills, but a great way to enjoy Waimea Canyon” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koke'e Lodge

Koke'e Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waimea
Chicago, IL
“No frills, but a great way to enjoy Waimea Canyon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights (Dec. 24-26, 2007) and, overall, had a good experience. The cabins are quite rustic, but they do have refrigerators, gas stoves, cooking utensils, hot water, full bathrooms, and wood-burning stoves for heat (it does get cold at night!). Our cabin was pretty clean, but I found the bedding to be kind of shady (the stained pillows needed to be thrown out and replaced with new ones). Also, the blankets were thin and didn't appear as through they had been recently washed. Basically, if you want privacy and a place to crash in Waimea Canyon, the Kokee Lodge cabins are a good option. The canyon and trails are amazingly beautiful, and if you are traveling to Kauai, don't miss this part of the island! One tip- bring firewood for the stove before you drive all the way up to the lodge; Kokee Lodge sells firewood but they were out of it when we got there, so we had to shlep back down to the town of Waimea to get the wood (it rains often in the canyon and surrounding forests, and the wood around our cabin was too wet to burn). This is not a luxury place by any means, but it was more than comfortable and it was a great way to enjoy Waimea Canyon.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — poor bedding
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rlove

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

When visiting Waimea Canyon, we stayed at one of the cabins of the Kokee Lodge. I knew that it was going to be a cabin, so I didn't expect plush amenities, and that is what I got. I was actually really pleased with that. It was great to sleep in front of a fire and wake up the next morning and immediately start hiking. There are excellent hiking trails around the lodge that provide breathtaking views of the Napali Coast. While the Kokee Lodge was no hotel, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and cannot wait to stay there again the next time I visit Kauai.

• Liked — the fact that it was a cabin with direct access to hiking trails
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed January 2004, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kazeko
Waikiki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

If you loved summer camp then a stay at Kokee Lodge will bring back a flood of wonderful memories. Not actually a lodge but a group of rustic cabins nestled in the trees just off the road to the Kalalau lookout inside Kokee State park. Our group of two adults and two young girls, age 6 and 8 stayed in one of the 12 cabins that make up the lodge. Our cabin, named Kolea was one of the "newer" lincoln log style cabins. It had two bedrooms with twin beds in each, a bathroom with shower, living room with wood stove and a full kitchen. Out front was a porch and a fire pit. I read in someones review that the "newer" free standing cabins were prefered over one of the four duplex cabins. Carol, our very helpful contact person at the lodge cautioned me the "newer" cabins were built in the 50s. I came prepared after reading several of the trip advisor reviews. Roach spray....didn't need it. Bathroom cleaner....nothing nastier than you would find at summer camp. Bag of dry kindling from the grocery store in Lihue...the best $5 I've ever spent! The linens were clean and packed in a plastic bag and the cookware was sealed in a large plastic tub. For two little girls who had never smushed a smore it was three back to back "the best day ever". We started each day with the chickens or Moa as the wild fowl are known and ended each day with a camp fire. We went on a hike each morning with a snack along the way (followed by a hot shower), relaxed around the cabin after lunch and drove to some scenic spot for Sunset each evening. Scenic doesn't quite do justice to the jaw dropping vistas you find of Waimea canyon, Kalalau valley, Napali coast and the rugged cloud brushed ridges leading to Mount Waialeale. The Kokee Trails brochure we bought for $1.50 at the gift shop was invaluable. All of the trails and lookouts were within 10 minutes of the cabin. If you are looking for a romantic couples get away you should know your partners taste well before checking in to the lodge. If not having room service is your idea of camping then you will hate it. If you'd like to share the wonder of kids at camp or relive your days as a CIT (councilor in training) at Camp Wakonda then do not miss this.

• Liked — Rustic ambience amoung towering trees, amazing scenery and no TV or cell phone reception
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank HawaiiCondo
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2007

As outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, backpackers, tent campers and nature lovers, we were thrilled to stay in Koke`e State park as a change of pace from the busy Lihue side if the island. We have stayed in many other state park cabins but found this one very poorly maintained. The cabin was crumbling, dirty, the shower had flaking shards of fiberglass which cut my toe and swirling brown sediment when the shower was turned on. Even with shower shoes, I felt uncomfortable. Ater a long day hiking, it was nice to have clean sheets, an indoor toilet and refrigeration.

With the cabins proximity to the road, I feel the cabins could and should be better maintained. Their recent price increase makes it a better value to stay at one of th inns or B&B in Waimea and take daytrips into the canyon.

We left earlier than planned. When we explained the reason for our departure, we were told "the cabins are old". Old is one thing falling apart from lack of maintanence is another.

• Liked — Amazing location for hiking. The Lodge has reasonable and delicious food.
  • Disliked — The shower was crumbling, flaking and looked dirty.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mars06074

Travelers are raving about these Waimea hotels

San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2006

Stay away! My boyfriend and I stayed there for 3 nights. We're backpackers and don't need frills, but this was something else. First night, no hot water and the gas stove didn't work. The next day they told us we could have a free meal at the restaurant to make up for the inconvenience, which we appreciated. When we got back from our hike we stopped by to receive our meal but the restaurant was closed early, for no apparent reason. The same lady who'd been so apologetic the night before told us we could only have something from the refrigerator, and she charged us for it. Okaaaay. We returned to our room to find the water heater had been turned on, but the thermocouple was broken, so we only had hot water for a few hours on the second day. The last day, again, no hot water. We wound up driving down the hill to Waimea (about 45 minutes away) for dinner each night. As for condition, forget it. The bed was lumpy, the blankets and towels were worn, and the bathroom so run down that I wore shower shoes, and the shower curtain wasn't long enough to keep the water inside, so everything in the bathroom gets wet when you shower (probably in cold water).

The best part: two days after we checked out, I got a call on my cell phone from the same lady who chased us out of the restaurant, asking if we ever got our free meal. I reminded her that we had come, but she hadn't let us eat there because the restaurant was closed early. She said she hadn't realized that was us and we should have said something. Hmmm, I didn't realize this was my fault......

Bottom line-beautiful hikes are nearby, but stay in Waimea and drive up to the trailhead instead. Avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed May 2006
16 Thank SDtraveler-7
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2006

We travelled to Hawaii this year and thought it would be great to stay at a state park
lodging like Kokee. What a Mistake. The exterior is cute, very rustic, nothing at all fancy, but that is ok. We made the mistake of going inside, it was downhill from there. The kitchen area looked like there had been a bar room brawl because the counter was moved almost half a foot. All the counters and cupboards were sticky to the touch. Not becuase someone had sticky hands, dirty sticky. We were even reluctant to put food in the fridge.
Don't get me started on the bathroom. I wouldn't let my dog go in there. The shower & toilet looked like if you used them you would catch something. I've travelled with friends and have stayed at state park accomodations before. We stayed at Phantom ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, rustic, nothing fancy but clean...... Even the firewood that we bought was wet. Here is a tip. If you are going to charge for firewood, make sure it is dry so we can burn it, the firewood must have smoldered for about 30-45 minutes before we started to get any fire/heat, the rest of the wood we had to leave on the floor to dry.

It is a real shame that the state of Hawaii is not taking better care of this facility. The Waimea Canyon area is beautiful. People that enjoy hiking in my experience tend to be low maintenance when it comes to accomodations. We were prepared for rustic we were not prepared for disgusting. To get to these accomocations it is a long winding trip up the mountain... the scenery is fantastic. Stop there and head back down and stay in Town, you couldn't pay me enough to stay there again.
Since the trip I have developed a skin irritation. Maybe we weren't the only ones in the room.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bellingham Wa.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2006

We stayed in one of the duplex cabins named Kukui for 1 night in Feb. 2006 It was dirty, cigarette butts in the shower, soiled blankets, one pillow case had a 6" burn hole in it. At least the sheets were clean. The lighting was very dim and scary. I would NEVER get in that filthy shower, or put food on the counter top. We are not prissy prudes. We paid $11.00 for some fire wood that was so green and wet it was almost impossable to burn. It was a cold night so we needed a fire. We have 10 years experience using a wood stove. This stove had broken glass on it's door with 1/4 of the glass missing. The draft was broken and wouldn't open so you had to leave the door open to get the fire to start. Even the hole in the glass wasn't enough air. After at least 45 minutes of totally filling the cabin with smoke, we got the fire started. Ofcourse we had to open all the doors to air out the cabin. Needless to say, it was a miserable, smokey night. These cabins are NOT maintained.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank swimskippy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,201 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koke'e Lodge? Share your experiences!