“TOO LOUD”

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 16, 2010

The Bali Hai Villas was located in a beautiful area but there are like apartments. We could hear the person staying next to us taking a shower and I am sure they heard our baby crying in the middle of the night. One early morning we heard the trash truck (7am) and that was quite annoying waking us up.The check in (around 3pm) took forever. They only had one person checking guests in and there was a line of guests needing to check in. OUr room wasn't ready so we had to come back. The location was nice, close to shopping and restaurants but will not stay here again.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank arizcat

Reviewed March 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed in a 2 bedroom villa as one portion of our honeymoon, at the Wyndham Bali Hai Villas in Princeville, Hawaii.

While we found the property beautiful, we have some concerns about how they handled the Tsunami warning while we were there. As I am sure you are aware, on 2-27-10, a Tsunami warning was in effect for all of Hawaii. Roads were closed in most areas as well, and for the local southern area of Kauai, roads closed at 9:30am.

At approximately 7:30am on 2-27-10, we awoke to find several messages from family and friends in Michigan who were concerned about our safety - including one from our travel agent. We had no knowledge of the Tsunami warning, and we proceeded to turn on the news and call the airport as we were scheduled to leave the island of Kauai that day.

At approximately 8:00am, the resort called to remind us of a "sales" appointment we had previously scheduled at 9:00am for 2-27-10. I informed the lady on the line that we would not be keeping the appointment because of the impending Tsunami and our need to get to the airport as quickly as possible. She seemed shocked and stated that roads were closing at 9:30am and that if we wanted to leave, we would have to do it now in order to make it to the airport before the roads shut down. I asked her what would happen if we didn't make it out on time, and she said that she wasn't sure, but her guess was that we would be allowed to stay until the roads re-opened.

I find the lack of notification on the part of resort staff deplorable. While I understand the need for the resort to not create panic, I feel that the resort staff should have at least notified us of road closures so that we could plan accordingly. Had we not scheduled a sales meeting, we would have had no knowledge of the road closures and most likely would have missed both of our flights that day.

As I said, the resort itself is beautiful, but I find the lack of concern for guests both unacceptable and irresponsible. I realize as well that people who live on the islands of Hawaii are used to such warnings and evacuations, but as a non-island resident, I was unaware of procedures and protocols involved. I feel this is the responsibility of the resort which is hosting my stay and the staff at the Wyndham Bali Hai Villas seriously lacks responsibility in this area.

As for the resort property and the room, they were very beautiful and spacious. The rooms were very clean and well kept and we have no complaints about that. Most of the windows are shutter-type, so if you have loud neighbors, that can be a problem. There also is no air conditioning, which didn't bother us at night, only during the day. The fans seemed to only circulate the hot air. We stayed in the 500 building, which has a nice view of the pool and waterfall in the middle of the resort, but on the back side is a tennis court, which created some noise as well. There is no beach access, but we went down the road and found several other areas to access the beach. Had it not been for the poor service we received due to the Tsunami, we would have left an excellent review.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SpartanKnitter
Reviewed March 1, 2010

I was extremely happy with this timeshare property. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. As note to wifi users, they have a "bridge" you can get that will increase your spread and reliability..just call front desk. We had an incredible view overlooking the pool and mountains. The roosters are present and do crow but I guess that is the price of paradise. There is an excellent walking trail outside the property that was heavily used. The blue travel book is invaluable as it shows you the good sights and restaurants. The webiste www.kauiexplorer.com is great for ocean conditions and beach reports. We are scheduled to return in 2012 and I can't wait. Beyond wonderful...I think it was stated below that "high maintenance" need not apply.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bdvorachek
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed at the Bali Hai villas from 1/23/10 to 1/27/10 and then transferred to the Kauai Beach Villas for the next 3 nights to be closer to the airport. The 2 bedroom presidential room was very nice with granite counter tops and wooden kitchen and bathroom floors. Loved the convenience of the washer and dryer in the unit. With no air conditioning we kept the ceiling fans on constantly. Other reviewers are correct about the lack of privacy with open louver windows. And the roosters do keep you awake at times. The swimming pools are being renovated but enjoyed the hot tubs. Our main issue is with the check-out process. You could check out express using the phone but when we tried, all we got was a busy signal for a hour. Thought that was strange so decided to check out in person. Good thing. As I was given my receipt and statement the young lady stated the amt which was high. She says somonee made 3 phone calls to Canada from our room phone. No way. We know no one in Canada. We did not make any long distance calls. It turns out our next door neighbors were checking out at the same time and they are from Canada. Somehow our phones lines got switched and we were charged their calls. We protested and we were given credit. But if we had used the express method, we would have bee unaware of the phone calls and not notified of the charges until after the bank statement arrived. I'm sure too late to fix the problem. So bewarned, check carefuly your statement when checking out in person. Heavy timeshare presence at this resort.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank susienew
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My wife and I spent a week at Bali Hai. We were very happy there. It was nice, very quiet, and made for a relaxed stay. The rooms were clean, the staff helpful. One pool still has a bunch of maintenance going on, but could be used, and the other pool was fine. A good value. One problem to report: The cleaning crew showed up while we were out having breakfast, and tossed our food and stuff (including my wife's postcards -- ???!), so we weren't happy with our checkout. But aside from that glitch, the hotel was great.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2010

After complaining and getting out of the Pahio Ka 'eo Kae resort we were moved to these villas and absolutely loved this place. Our unit was 511 and was private and right by the waterfall connected to the pool area. Helped drown out any roosters crowing in the middle of the night. Definitely request an inside unit; buildings 400, 500 or such. They are building newer units 20+ but they have very little tree coverage and not as nice grounds. Far from the main pool, grill and office areas. Definitely would recommend this unit to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lmt_massage
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Rooms adequate, but many sticking or squeaky doors. Poor soundproofing between units. No AC, but abundant ceiling fans. Cell reception abyssmal, "high speed" Internet wifi through wayport.net barely above dial-up speeds with mediocre to no signal. Pools very nice, but not enough convenient grills around the complex. Timeshare upgrade sales staff very pushy and nagged a relative who signed up for a presentation incessantly (4 calls to room in 1 day!).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
Wyndham Ka 'Eo Kai
Wyndham Ka 'Eo Kai
#6 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Wyndham Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!