“Nice Resort, but not my favorite in the Hawaiian Islands”

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice Resort, but not my favorite in the Hawaiian Islands”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

Let me start by saying that I am a Wyndham owner. Pahio was bought out by Wyndham and I own here among other resorts in the Hawaiian Islands. Yes, it is a nice resort and I had a two bedroom presidential. Beautiful granite counters, small but okay lanai. The bedrooms and bathrooms were really nice. Comfortable beds, washer and dryer, nice kitchen. It actually is beautiful. But, I just can't put my finger on why I just wasn't happy here. Princeville is a weird town I guess is what you would call it. When you actually pull into Princeville, you think it is a resort, because of the sign and the waterfalls upon entering. It is gorgeous, it truly is. You are nestled among the mountains and lush green vegetation. The pool is big and nice, but it is not heated. You are in Hawaii you say, why should it be heated? It does not get that warm here. Mid 70's during the day and it can get into the 60's at night. The water does not warm up. The hottub is nice in the lava, but the water was really disgusting when we were there, and it smelled funny. Not saying that this might have been a fluke, and maybe it is not normally like that. Check in is kind of crazy. You have to go to another former Pahio resort to check in, then go to the guest service here to get your parking pass. They really are not the most friendly people either, compared to the other properties. I do not know if the Pahio rooms are any different than the new Wyndham ones, but I have a hunch they are. So, if the Wyndham section is full when you come in a trade, you might not have as spectacular of a room as the Wyndham ones. I just could not relax here for some strange reason. I live on a farm, but the roosters here do have you up all hours, so yes shut the windows. The cats are not a bother, they are just around and fun to watch sometimes. If you are a newbie coming here and want to do a ton of activities, you will have a lot of driving to other parts of the island, and deal with a lot of traffic. I think the temperature being cooler and the rain just takes away from vacationing on this island for me. Things are very expensive on this end, so go to Costco or some other stores down by Lihue. There is a nice beach Anini that is close by and calm.When I come to the islands each year, I come for the warmth and sunshine, since we live in very cold conditions. To me, I want it 80 degrees or more and sunshine. We have been to hawaii so many times, activities are not a real priority for us.Just beach, and warm weather. We came to this island 11 years ago, and we decided to visit this one again and give it a second chance. 11 years ago, it seemed deserted. There was no traffic, and everything closed up at 5. It has changed a lot. I sent my cousin to this property for his honeymoon and he loved it. His only complaint was there is a lot of driving to activities, and he would like to stay at some other part of the island towards the south. It does prove to be warmer down there too. However, if you are an adventure seeker that likes a lot of hiking and things like that, this island is for you. The cool temps would be beneficial too. Being a Wyndham owner has been the best investment. We have truly learned to work the system for our benefit and have enjoyed many of their properties. They are not pushy here with their sales presentations, because they are running out of property to sell. They do have some spectacular properties on the other islands, and that is where we usually stay and they are like a second home to us. This one just is not my favorite but everyone has different reasons for going and what makes their vacation a good one.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank us2snorkel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Sanford, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

Enjoyed our stay. Our Two BR Presidential was great. It was clean and well furnished. Everything worked well. Lack of AC was not a problem with the fans and open windows. We spent almost every day out and about enjoying the scenery. We did find that the travel south on the one highway could be a challenge if done at the wrong time of day. Early and late in the day solved that problem as did the use of the bypass around Kapaa. They are building a rec center that will be nice to have on site. The swimming pool was nice. The free Internet access was wonderful!!!

One negative... the chickens! The roosters begin their wake-up calls at 3:30 AM... We used ear-plugs and realized after a few days that we did not notice them as much. It rained three of the nights pretty much all night, and that also kept the roosters quite. Only solution to the chicken problem would be to either at AC so the windows could be kept shut (won't happen), or put more waterfalls around the site and let them run all night. However, using earplugs will certainly help. I guess the other solution would be to eat more chicken!

Didn't care for the sales-pitch, but we are used to that and were able to get them to stop after an hour.

All, said... Bali Hai is a great place to stay!! Kauai is a beautiful island!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank NCPirate
Wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2009

WHERE DO WE START . .
No A/C, NO View, Noisy, either the unit was very hot or cold
The master bed is a very bad pillow top . . .and the pillows . . .well we went to Wal-Mart and purchased a set.
Parking was a mess . . . especially during a rain storm.

Princeville is about 30 mles Lihue and an hour's drive . . . from shopping, nice restaurants, etc.

Do not attend the sales meeting unless they give you a really good 2 for 1 . . . like the chopper ride around this small island. The price is about $180.00

• Liked — Free Wi-Fi
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank odemar4taxes
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

The Bali Hai villas in Princeville, Kauai is a beautiful resort nestled among some gorgeous mountains! We booked our trip through RCI timeshares. Check in was a breeze and if you print the directions from the RCI website and follow them, you'll have no problems. The directions send you to the Kai eo Kai villas clubhouse (part of the Pahio resort complex) which is just down the street from the Bali Hai. A nice young man was there to escort us over to the Bali Hai clubhouse as the Bali Hai is open until 8pm to check in. If you arrive later than that, then you check in at the Kai eo Kai resort. To make a long story short, it was relatively easy and the staff were terrific! Our room # was 520 and it backed onto the pool area.

We had read reviews before going about the non-renovated units, the wild roosters and wild cats. Well, there are still some non-renovated units at the Bali Hai but we got a beautiful new 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances...everything was new and modern. There is no air-conditioning in the units but we didn't care. We had finally made it to Hawaii! The roosters, however, were common and the earliest I heard them was about 3:30am. My advice is to bring earplugs! I saw few cats but we heard them at night occasionally....really not that bad and not that often.

As for the resort itself, there is a tennis court and the pool in pretty nice. It is a small pool, but has waterfalls and a hot-tub. There are activiites at the resort throughout the week and you will get a list of them when you arrive. You must sign up in advance of the activity and some of them have a cost associated with them.

We had a few problems in our room. The coffee maker was broken and the front door bolt latch did not work. A quick call to maintenance and they were both taken care of within a couple of hours. Staff were friendly, helpful and courteous.

We had to attend a sales presentation for Wyndham resorts as Pahio resorts are now owned by Wyndham and we are timeshare owners of a different company. The presentation was the usual stuff, but we thought it was overpriced. They offered a special deal for Canadian residents (due to the difference in currency value) but at 10% off the US price, it was not worth it to us.

The weather at that time of year is touch and go. It is the rainy season and you are about 10 miles from the wettest spot on earth...average rainfall is 11.3 metres per year!!! Yes, I did write that correctly...11.3 metres! We knew this when we booked. It rained or was cloudy for 6 out of 7 days but when it was sunny it was gorgeous! My idea of a great vacation is sand, sun and beach. The closest beach is about a mile from the resort, and the sun wasn't cooperating. You really need to rent a vehicle for the time you are there in order to get around and see things. Also, if you are a big fan of the all-inclusive vacation, this is not the place for you. Groceries, vehicle rentals, and cooking your own meals is the deal here. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our trip. It was an experience that we are glad we had!

Quick note: If you do stay here and wish to buy groceries, there is a shopping plaza about 1 mile from the resort with restaurants, a Foodland, ice cream place etc. The groceries are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive at that Foodland and I would suggest driving to Kapa'a (about 18 miles) and stocking up at the Safeway. Kapa'a is also the biggest town on the east side of the island with tons of shops, restaurants and beaches to keep you busy for the day.

Activities I recommend: If you are going to do anything while on Kauai, you really need to go to the Luau Kalamaku (http://luaukalamaku.com/) and experience the show and dinner. Bali Hai offers a $12 return bus ride to the Luau (per person) or you can easily drive yourself. Give yourself at least an hour to drive even though it is about 30 miles or so. it will take that long because the speed limit is anywhere between 25 and 50 mph and the roads are single lanes with few passing zones. The Luau itself is about $100 per person but with the Aloha privileges card, which you can get in return for agreeing to partake in the timeshare sales presentation, we got 25% off the ticket price. The card was worth it if you are planning to do more than one activity while on the island. The card gives you 20-40% off selected activities during your stay. We saved about $300 in total (there were four of us) on various activities such as ATV tours, flight tours, and the Luau. The card covers a wide range of companies and activities and you will receive a list of them if you choose the Privileges card. The other option is $100 restaturant voucher which can only be used once.

I hope this review was helpful and informative. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

• Liked — The room was fantastic!
  • Disliked — Lack of daily and nightly activities on the resort itself; few pubs or bars in the area.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank LisaLG
Nevada City, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

We loved our stay here! My parents traded their timeshare so we could use the condo for our Honeymoon in Kauai. I was a litte nervous on how the condo would be since some of the reviews are not so great, but the condo exceeded any expectation. Ignore the reviews...unless your impossible to please and super picky. We had such a nice time at the Bali Hai Villas. The staff was not pushy on having us sit through a presentation. They did call a couple times, but we just didn't answer the phone :) I didn't even notice that the place didn't have air conditioning. We left the windows open and let the trade winds in. There was some noise, but it didn't bother us. We had a nice garden view and the sunrise was incredible. We spent the first couple days by the pool because it was so nice. Waterfalls, sand entry, spa. Loved it! Yes, there are chickens on the island of Kauai but they are every where. No matter what condo or hotel you stay at there will be chickens and rosters running around and making noise. The kitchen in the condo was great. We love to cook and it was nice to have all of the ammenities. The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was awesome! We were in unit 225. Not sure if it was a newer until, but it looked updated. The decor is somewhat outdated, but it's in the hawaiian beach theme and a nice touch. Great place to stay. Nice Staff. Great Pool.

• Liked — Great Pool
  • Disliked — didn't have the direct tv nfl package
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smauerbach
Blackwood, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

I spent 10 days here recently and loved it. Yes, the chickens can be a problem, but it was a really minor inconvenience - more concerned about the sanitary conditions with them free to leave messes anywhere!
Every day, I spent some time on the lanai looking across Hanalei valley at Mt. Namolokama with its' beautiful waterfall and all the other gorgeous views.
The unit was very comfortable, but housekeeping needs to be a little more on the ball with giving needed items - bath towels, etc. Had to request bath tissue a few times, etc.
If you stay here, do sign up for a few of their classes. I went to the lei making class and had a really good time, plus learned how easy they are to make, for the simple ones. Others are on Hawaiian culture, language, etc. Check them out!
Some may consider the location on the north shore to be a bit far from much of the activities on the island, but it is so relaxing that it has inspired me to plan to move to the Hanalei area!

• Liked — Location & Views
  • Disliked — Housekeeping needs some improvement
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keoni_62
Laguna Niguel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

Our family of 5 (hubbie, myself and 3 boys ages 12, 12 and 10) stayed at Bali Hai Villas from 8/21 - 8/28. We all had an awesome time! Although we did an exchange through RCI we were given one of the refurbished units. We were in unit 520 which was very centrally located within the property. We were close to the tennis courts, pool and the club house. Our unit was very well appointed and was very roomy for all of us. There were ceiling fans in both bedrooms as well as the living room and dining room, and there was a fan that we could plug in. All of this kept our unit cool and pleasant. We attended the complimentary breakfast to familiarize ourselves with Bali Hai and the area and we found this to be very helpful. Many of the activities that you can take advantage of on the island had a rep at this meeting who could give you more details about their services. We also attended the 90 minute time share presentation and we did not find them to be pushy at all. We received the APC card for our time which entitled us to 30% off of the various activities on the island. We used this card to kayak on the Wailua with Kayak Adventures and to take a sunset snorkling dinner cruise on Captain Andy's. Both trips were amazing and my 3 boys had a great time. I would advise you to purchase some form of sea sickness pills for your children as my youngest son got sick on the cruise. Bali Hai was great to come back to after a day of playing. The pool was wonderful since it is salt water and not full of toxic chlorine.We shopped at Costco and we bbq'd every night by the pool using the gas grills. Costco closes at 8:30pm. We loved snorkling at both Tunnels and Anini Beach. Black Pot Beach by the Hanalei Pier is a great beach for very young children. You park your cars right on the beach and you can leave the back open while you play in the water. The waves are calm and older kids can jump off the pier in the deep end and swim which my 3 boys loved. Lydgate Park is also a great place to take kids. It has a playground, a big grassy field and it's a safe place for kids to learn to snorkel.You definitely need a rental car to get around the island though. We also went to church on Sunday at the Calvary Chapel North Shore which is near the Kilauea Lighthouse. It has great worship music! We will definitely try to trade in to the Bali Hai again!

• Liked — Well appointed full kitchen with a washer and dryer in the unit
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank PookieLagunaNiguel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,698 reviews
St. Regis Princeville Resort

Been to Wyndham Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!