“Smoked out”

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 26, 2008

The condo was in good condition and generally clean, except the toenail parings on the floor. However, the people directly below us smoked cigars day and night. As there is no air conditioning, in order to stay cool, one has to open the windows and sliding doors. The cigar smoke imbued everything in our unit. My son (who is asthmatic) and I are allergic to tobacco smoke and used to smoke-free environments. We went to the club house and were reassured that this was a non-smoking facility (per the signs by each front door) and the problem would be taken care of. When it continued, my husband called the Front Desk (no clue where that was) and was told that they could smoke all they wanted, it was a voluntary policy. Having to smell this for a week has made me sick. In addition, the noise from waterfalls, roosters, frogs, and other residents make this a less than peaceful place. We just wanted to get away and relax; the salespeople just want to hound us to death with pitches for timeshares and offers to plan every moment of our time. Not my idea of Paradise.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank writer100

Reviewed April 14, 2008

Before going to Princeville and staying at Bali Hai, I was concerned by some of the reviews that I had found on this website, but I have to say that Bali Hai far and exceeded our expectations. People's complaints on other reviews referred the roosters and the cleanliness of the rooms. The unit we stayed in was quite clean. It was a simple one bedroom, for three of us girls (three college girlfriends on a trip of a lifetime) and it had more amenities than we thought we'd have. Dishwaher, dishes, glasses, washer and dryer, even a corkscrew for that night we bought a bottle of wine but didn't think about how'd we get it open.

As for the roosters, yes, they do crow at 6 in the morning. But being from the east coast, I was up at 6 anyways (since it felt like noon) so the roosters just added to the flavor of the trip. In the morning we would sit out on our porch and watch the baby chickens flutter around the grounds.

The conceirge service was great! I would definitley suggest using them whenever you can. They found lots of great places for us to eat and were extremely courteous and helpful.

Finally, if you're staying in Princeville, be sure to go to Princeville Ranch and do the Waterfall Picnic tour. It was AMAZING!!! We did the four hour tour, riding horses through the countryside, hiking through rainforest and finally swimming in a waterfall. It was awesome! I would recommend it to anyone (families, couples, etc.) as long as you're in good health.

We had a fabulous time at Bali Hai and no one pressured us on timeshare purchasing at all. Kauai was absolutely one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. :o)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank can523
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed in room #220 for a week over Spring Break 2008. We were right near the office, second floor, corner apt. It is nice, and the pool area is AWESOME! The rooms need updating, but we had a ball! The kitchen was very nice, and the unit was somewhat spacious. The only complaint I have is the guest bedroom bathroom. The bathroom had NO Door, and the shower leaked. You had NO Privacy if you needed to use the bathroom in the guest room. IT was a little uncomfortable since we were traveling with others, but other then that, it was nice. The High Speed Internet was great, and Very easy to use. The place was clean, but Princeville is not a great location. You are a drive to most anywhere you want to go. I suggest Staying in Kapa'a. The people are very friendly, and we enjoyed BBQing at the pool. The weather was FANTASTIC the whole week. It only rained twice and it was in the middle of the night. No ocean view but you know that when you book the reservation, so it's not disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank dine2b
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We are timeshare owners and exchanged into Bali Hai Villas for one week March 4 to 11, 2008. We lucked out getting a ground floor corner two-bedroom unit with lots of privacy. Outside our terrace was a lovely pond, waterfalls and tree.

One of the main entrances into the site was within view and it was surrounded by ponds, waterfalls and statues of dolphins.

Apparently the unit we were in is only 4 years old and it was very comfortable and clean. Our party consisted of 4 adults so with each bedroom having an ensuite bathroom and TV was great. Lots of bath & beach towels. Actually we prefer not having maid service coming in all the time.

The unit contained everything we needed included a clothes washer & dryer

We enjoyed the location of Bali Hai Villas as it is not in a commercialized noisy resort type of place. The timeshares and the awesome Princeville Hotel are nestled amongst up-scale residential homes and golf courses.

We easily walked to the other timeshare sister properties to use the free Internet and to enjoy ocean views and pools. However you do need a car rental to get to and from the airport and around the island.

The negative features were the construction trucks and vehicles going by early in the morning, the noisy roosters in the morning and the very noisy bullfrogs from the pond at night. They shut the waterfalls off at night and if they kept the waterfalls going all night that would help cover up some of the night and early morning noises.

The only other time we had been to Kaui, the Garden Island, was quite a long time ago. It is as beautiful as we remember it and still unspoiled. We traveled all around the island and up to the canyon area for breath-taking views.

We would stay at Bali Hai Villas again. We would love to revisit Kauai sometime in the future and definitely stay longer than one week.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Fabulash
Reviewed March 19, 2008

If your looking for the hawaiian experience then Bali Hai is not for you. The view other then palm trees is absent, you can see the montains from some units, allong with dumpsters and massive construction. The rooms are clean , but apt. like. It is very easy to become lost ( especially at night ) because this is a massive complex. Staff is nice, grounds are well kept. The pool area is nice, but small . Mostly middle aged to young family.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank angelknowstravel
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Hi!

I always go to Kauai first then spend 2 or 3 days in Oahu to shop & have different fun! Why lug "gifts & extra stuff "to Kauai. This last time we went I swear we only wore the clothes we bought on Kauai. I am "packing" an empty suitcase next time!!

We love the beaches here & enjoy the quiet but still plenty to do!
I am a avid snorkeler & spend to much time in the water! lol

I like where my resort is located - close to the beaches I really like. They are doing construction there but are over quite a bit from our unit so I don't hear them working.

But again I am only here in the early am & after sunset so they are done. The pool is a no chlorine so very nice on the eyes after being in salt water all day!

They just updated the cushions on the couch while I was there last time. You can see the bolder colors in the 1 photo. Very clean unit. Daily maid service unless you are like my hubby & didn't want anyone in there. So we just set out the trash for them.

Only saw 1 gecko & he was outside on the front stairwell area. No bugs, etc... Nice view of property but no great ocean view which I love but again I am in or near the ocean all day! At night I played my ocean & hawaii music to fall asleep too. No prob!

Love the smell of plumeria & such on Kauai, better than any where else! Always sleep with some on my pillow. Large bath & bedroom, washer & dryer in unit, full kitchen - we cooked b.fast & dinner there every day except 1 day & anniversary dinner out at fancy rest. Love Costco's fresh FISH!! Many choices & great taste & the snacks that can only be bought in Hawaii! Veges & fruit can be had anywhere but I like to visit the farmers markets & get flowers for the room too!

If you go south then check out Glass Beach - very cool to find glass bits - it's over 1-2 feet deep!

**********************************************************************
I can't go this year! Rats!! See my profile

3  Thank KCBW
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We stayed at Bali Hai in October. Yes, there were a few drawbacks such as checking in at a sister resort, finding the pool a bit cool to our taste, and the roosters starting EARLY am. But the location was great for us! Just minutes from a grocery store and local farmer's market on Saturday plus great shops and restraurants close by. They will try to sell you a timeshare, but they have some great specials if you choose to listen to the spiel and the staff are quite helpful. We like listening to nature as we live in Washington state so the only problem was an unexpected rooster crowing before we were ready to get up. Since we're normally up at 4am PST we found the kitchen extremely helpful to have for early coffe and breakfast plus packing a snak for the beach. The hot tub very nice when we came in from our day and the pool area was never really crowded. Our 2 bedroom/2 bath was very nice with stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops in the kitchen, soaking tub in the master bath, washer and dryer in the condo, and comfortable beds & furniture all around. This is can be a great place as it was very quiet, people wise, although you may have problems if you don't like darkness. Think of it as a nature preserve and you'll better understand why some things are the way they are as the resort. In fact the Island, is trying to preserve the natural plants, birds & animals while sharing with others. Enjoy the Garden Island and plan for seeing nature in a natural setting which includes seeing the stars at night. Remember you're on vacation, slow down and take the few inconviences in stride. Note: Be sure to reserve a car--
you'll need it to get from the airport to the resort, around the island easily, and find those private gardens and beaches.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank WAGardener
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
The Cliffs at Princeville
The Cliffs at Princeville
#2 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Wyndham Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!