“Nice place!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, OR
“Nice place!!!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was my first trip to Kaua'i. We liked the resort so well that me bought in. We stayed in one of the remodeled Presidential units in building 5 and it was really nice. Two full bedrooms and baths. Nice dining area. Stainless steel appliances, etc. Our unit overlooked the tennis court in front and the waterfall/pool in the back. It was so nice to sit on our deck and listen to the water. It will be nice to see what the new lobby/reception building being built. The current one is a bit lacking.

Other reviewers noted the roosters crowing, but we didn't seem to hear them or notice.

The location was convenient for getting to the Princeville shopping. Within walking distance.

Room Tip: Building 5 is great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frances L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Novato, California
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I stayed here the second week of April, and also had another unit for our friends. This was an RCI exchange for us, and I would love to give it a better than average review, but we have to compare them with exchanges that we have had on the Big Island's Waikoloa area. Those resorts were spectacular with much newer/nicer units and amenities, so I have to give Bali Hai just an average.

First of all, I have to emphasize the comment of a previous reviewer that you must make sure they are aware that you need two beds in the 2nd bedroom, or you will get one bedroom with a king-sized bed, and one with a queen. The resort personnel call to confirm your reservation about two weeks before your visit, and I thought I had mentioned it, but we did not get a unit with two double beds at first. I went back to get them to move us, and they did find a unit for us, but it took a long wait. If you are traveling with another couple, this won't be an issue, but we were a couple with 3 kids and that would have made for a difficult week.

Having never been to Kauai before, we were very happy with the Princeville location. We spent most of the week on the north shore, only venturing south to get back to the airport and for our catamaran cruise out of Port Allen. The north shore is absolutely beautiful, and for people who just wanted to be on the beautiful beaches of Kauai and not much else, it was perfect.

The actual units are decent, plenty of room and comfortable. The beds were definitely not too hard - actually more worn out and soft than anything. The kitchen was adequately equipped, with plenty of dishes, glasses, utensils, etc. They even give you a rice cooker and blender. The Princeville Foodland is a very short drive from the resort, and it is a full-service grocery store where you can get pretty much anything you are used to at home. I thought we had one of the "renovated" units, but it definitely didn't have stainless steel appliances and the dishwasher was missing a bunch of the prongs. But I don't really need stainless steel appliances when I am on vacation, just working appliances, which this unit did have.

The roosters do crow at all hours of the day, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. This is for all of the island of Kauai, not just Bali Hai. Because of the roosters and the lack of air-conditioning, expect to awaken early, as all of the units are open air and too many of the guests don't abide by the quiet hours. You will hear people talking as early as 6:30am. At least most of our fellow guests did also go to bed early, so we were not kept up by noise.

The pool area was nice, but as everyone else has reported, the pool is not heated and the hot tub is tiny. We did use the BBQs near units 17 and 18 and they are very nice.

Most staff we encountered were nice and friendly, but the lack of housekeeping even just once during the week was a little annoying. There is a vacuum and broom in the unit if you need to clean something up, but it would have been nice to get fresh linens/towels at least once, instead of having to wash our own if we wanted clean towels.

Overall, we had a great time in Princeville/Hanalei and will definitely be back to this area again. I'm not sure it will be at the Bali Hai, though. Again, this is because we have been able to experience some very, very nice units in other RCI exchanges, with condos partnered to larger hotels with restaurants and resort-type pools (watersides). Those are the types of unit exchanges we will look for in the future.

Room Tip: Definitely communicate your preferences for a certain type of bed configuration when they call you t...
1 Thank MarinlMom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I would've rated this resort 5 if the pool had been heated, or at least if the hot tub had been hot enough. My family went the first week in April and it rained off and on until the last couple days of our vacation.

Our 2-bedroom unit (Building 11) was clean, spacious, amply supplied, and the pesky rooster "only" crowed at 2-3am (argh) five of our 7 day-stay. We liked the beds. We did not think they were too firm. Our 1st floor unit faced the back of the resort but our balcony was elevated. We never saw any chickens tho' heard the lone rooster, and had no construction noise.

The front desk was very accommodating. The only negative was it was the same line for the two overworked but gracious people, whether you were in line to check-in or just to ask a question/drop-off something.

Heads-up about the 2nd bedroom: When exchanging through RCI, you do not get the two double beds in the 2nd bedroom, but one king (or queen?) bed. Even though the description says two double beds, you have to be sure and ask for it BEFORE arrival. The default is a single bed in the 2nd bedroom.

Front Desk/Concierge/Housekeeping/Grounds staff were all very gracious.

Strongly recommend going snorkeling with Steve of ReefGuides.com. Green turtles swam all around us; fish were varied and many, without having to feed them. amazing. Use the discount card you receive at the Island Orientation breakfast. Our family easily gets seasick so we didn't want to go on a boat to snorkel, With Steve, you walk into the ocean from shore.

Room Tip: Building 11 is at the back of the resort, so there was no noise. Still easily walkable to the pool a...
4 Thank lovetoshop341
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was our first time staying on the North Shore of Kauai, and I much prefer this to the Poipu area. The condos are in a nice location, close to a grocery store, Lappert's Ice Cream (must try this!) and Hannalei, which is absolutely beautiful (a new favorite drive- Princeville to Hannalei). You are also close to some of the prettiest beaches on the island, including Tunnels, Annini Beach, Lydgate (good for young kids) and Ke'e Beach. The condos are close to a golf course, but unfortunately, in the middle of a bunch of other condos, with no views whatsoever. Our unit overlooked the street.

The condos themselves are rather difficult to find, and since there was construction, the lobby was even more difficult. The lobby/reception was chaotic and not impressive at all. I asked for an upgraded unit, and also asked to upgrade from a one bedroom to two (I offered to pay). After some time looking, they were not able to accommodate this request. The unit itself was nice - it seemed renovated, but then I heard of others who had stainless steel appliances, upgraded countertops and our unit was not THAT nice. But it was comfortable, and we love having a kitchen and full size washer/dryer.

My main complaint with this facility is the lack of cleaning services. This seems to be the trend with timeshares, and I am seriously thinking of selling my timeshare because I am over it. I don't go on vacation to spend my time cleaning. In this case, I offered to pay for a mid-week cleaning and I was told they don't offer this. I found myself vaccuming and cleaning the kitchen almost daily, after trips to the beach. By the end of the week, our smaller unit was getting uncomfortable. We switched our last night to the fabulous Grand Hyatt, where we had a sparkling clean unit, a huge pool and amazing views. The pool in March, as someone else mentioned, was almost too cold to go in. The hot tub was crammed with people due to this (gross). The pool area is pretty, and would be enjoyable if it was heated.

Also, though the one bedroom technically sleeps 4, the pull-out couch stinks for anyone, but definitely for more than one person. That is our last time trying a one bedroom with two kids. The master bedroom bed was comfortable, however.

This is a nice place to stay if you are looking for the larger, condo-type accomodations, without any luxury. The location on the North Shore is very good. I hope management would read these review and take the suggestion to offer cleaning service, even if it is for an extra charge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Carla G
Cheney, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We just returned Sunday night from a weeks stay. Pool was beautiful but not heated and cold. My kids would not swim in the pool for more than 20 minutes.

Property was very nice and clean - but our two bedroom condo and deck overlooked the porta potty and construction of the new clubhouse. They told us we could not move. They started construction at 7am daily and we were unable to use our deck due to noise, view and lack of privacy.

Three days into our stay they informed us that they would be entering our condo during the week to spray for bugs. We pushed back and declined to let them access our unit due to concerns about spraying toxins around our food and clothing. They complained that they needed to spray - I indicated that they should have taken the building out of inventory to do spraying (they indicated it was a yearly scheduled spray - not due to a pest problem).

I am not sure I would stay here again due to the service issues. Too bad as the buildings are lovely and location is great.

1 Thank SSS4221
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nestled on the cliffs of North Kauai, the Wyndham Bali Hai offers nice large condominiums with many amenities like large upgraded kitchens, large bedrooms, two bathrooms, movie rental, a few large pools, hot tubs, tennis, some activities during the week. The resort is in proximity from the St-Regis, Queen's Bath, Hanalei and a few other beaches. This hotel is not on the beach and beaches are not accessible from the resort. Otherwise, it's everything you need to relax in the mountains. A few golf courses around. We had small ants in the bathroom and the service was immediate and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank apoliqui
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Avoid building 17 and 14 towards the construction zone because Monday-Friday from 7.30am on you will hear a lot of noise and won't be able to go out on your lanai. We were assigned a lower 3 bedroom presidential unit in building 17 and we had to make them change it, they were quick about it and had no problem doing it. We accepted to downgrade to an upper 2 bedroom deluxe to be away from it and to get the unit right away (we checked-in at 2pm) and unit 1621 was perfect. Very quiet, very private, well-equiped kitchen, confortable plush type mattress and nice view on lush courtyard. Out the front door or from our dining table on a clear day you could see the mountains. On the downside, the Internet bandwidth was terrible, if you want to download a movie or upload files, do it early in the morning. If it's just for emails, you should be fine. The pool and hot tub while very nice were very crowded, we used it once only. Since we didn't come to Kauai to lay by the pool anyway, it didn't bother us much. We had no cleaning service because we didn't request it but when calling, they can bring you more shampoo/laundry soap etc. Overall, great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated building away from construction at check-in.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank claire t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
The Cliffs at Princeville
The Cliffs at Princeville
#2 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Wyndham Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!