“Under Construction and Pool was Cold”

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We just returned Sunday night from a weeks stay. Pool was beautiful but not heated and cold. My kids would not swim in the pool for more than 20 minutes.

Property was very nice and clean - but our two bedroom condo and deck overlooked the porta potty and construction of the new clubhouse. They told us we could not move. They started construction at 7am daily and we were unable to use our deck due to noise, view and lack of privacy.

Three days into our stay they informed us that they would be entering our condo during the week to spray for bugs. We pushed back and declined to let them access our unit due to concerns about spraying toxins around our food and clothing. They complained that they needed to spray - I indicated that they should have taken the building out of inventory to do spraying (they indicated it was a yearly scheduled spray - not due to a pest problem).

I am not sure I would stay here again due to the service issues. Too bad as the buildings are lovely and location is great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SSS4221

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nestled on the cliffs of North Kauai, the Wyndham Bali Hai offers nice large condominiums with many amenities like large upgraded kitchens, large bedrooms, two bathrooms, movie rental, a few large pools, hot tubs, tennis, some activities during the week. The resort is in proximity from the St-Regis, Queen's Bath, Hanalei and a few other beaches. This hotel is not on the beach and beaches are not accessible from the resort. Otherwise, it's everything you need to relax in the mountains. A few golf courses around. We had small ants in the bathroom and the service was immediate and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank apoliqui
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Avoid building 17 and 14 towards the construction zone because Monday-Friday from 7.30am on you will hear a lot of noise and won't be able to go out on your lanai. We were assigned a lower 3 bedroom presidential unit in building 17 and we had to make them change it, they were quick about it and had no problem doing it. We accepted to downgrade to an upper 2 bedroom deluxe to be away from it and to get the unit right away (we checked-in at 2pm) and unit 1621 was perfect. Very quiet, very private, well-equiped kitchen, confortable plush type mattress and nice view on lush courtyard. Out the front door or from our dining table on a clear day you could see the mountains. On the downside, the Internet bandwidth was terrible, if you want to download a movie or upload files, do it early in the morning. If it's just for emails, you should be fine. The pool and hot tub while very nice were very crowded, we used it once only. Since we didn't come to Kauai to lay by the pool anyway, it didn't bother us much. We had no cleaning service because we didn't request it but when calling, they can bring you more shampoo/laundry soap etc. Overall, great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated building away from construction at check-in.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank claire t
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Construction going on in resort. Very bad internet connection. Actvities nil in resort. Very bad road construction up and down Kauai highways. DO NOT come during Mar or April if u want to enjoy island activities. First time i' ve been disappointed coming to Hawaii. :(

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank beryl101
Reviewed March 26, 2013

After reading some reviews, I was a bit apprehensive of our stay here. It was a timeshare trade, and we were pleasantly surprised by the facilities. I thought the interior had been recently remodeled, but found out it hadn't. It was clean, fresh, had absolutely no "smell" as many people talked about. It was spacious and had a nice view of the lagoon. It had a great kitchen and it was nice to have a leisurely morning with breakfast & coffee in the room before heading out exploring. The unit even had an ice chest you could take to the beach with you! The staff was very helpful and attentive. Wh had no complaints on this unit. The king mattress was very hard.... that was then only reason this unit isn't an 'excellent".

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd or 3rd floor so you can enjoy the patio without being attacked by the chickens.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hipinessal
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This resort is in a good location on Kauai's north shore. We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa with a full, well-equiped kitchen. It had a nice lanai with a view of the waterfall near the pool area. The pool area is small, but quite beautiful and there is a nice hot tub. I think there is another larger pool area, but it was closed while we stayed because they are building a new clubhouse. There is also a pristine looking tennis court. There is a decent grocery store that isn't too far, but I would definitely recommend renting a car to explore the island. It is beautiful and the beaches are great, but it seems to rain a lot here.
A few weird things about this resort....
1. I was unable to book directly with the resort. You have to use Expedia or RCI or something similar.
2. We stayed for 4 nights and housekeeping never came the make the beds or provide fresh towels. They provided plenty of towels, so it wasn't a big deal. I just find it odd.
3. One morning I went out for a walk, taking just my camera with me. When I returned, my room key wouldn't work and the front desk gave me a VERY hard time about not having picture ID to prove that I had the right to get into that room (where my ID was safely locked up!). I understood that I would have to prove who I was by providing info like my email address or phone number, but there was no need to make me feel like a criminal or an idiot for not hauling my purse with me on a morning stroll in paradise. We travel a lot and room keys not working is a fairly common occurence, but the 3rd degree at the front desk has NEVER happened before.
4. This is a time share resort, but we never went to a presentation, so I can't tell you how big or small the pressure they put on their guests is. We have learned to say "no thanks" everywhere we go because it always ends up being a half day that you'll never get back and vacation hours are precious!

Room Tip: I would ask to be near the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mrs. M
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My family and I stayed for three nights at the Bali Hai in February and we loved it! There was a bit of confusion at check-in, which meant we had to wait a few hours to wait for the room to be cleaned, there was a pitch for time share purchase (we just said no) and we had a plumbing repair in process when we did get into the unit. We didn't mind much, the condo was renovated beautifully, had everything you could want, was close to the pool and the office and was very clean. We just sat on the lanai, had mai tais and watched the mountains and the beautiful sunset every night! I would recommend this to anyone with a family, the pool was a blast for my daughter. There was only one pool available due to construction (which we could view from our lanai, but didn't really mind) We would stay here again if we could have the same or similar condo in that same area. It is very convenient to all the activities in Princeville and Hanalei. So far it is among our favorite places to be on Kauai.

Room Tip: Pick units in building 17 or away from the construction, we were in 6 but it was fine. Ask for a ren...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maggie L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hanalei Colony Resort
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
1 mi away
St. Regis Princeville Resort

Been to Wyndham Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!