“No sun for 2 weeks”

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Construction going on in resort. Very bad internet connection. Actvities nil in resort. Very bad road construction up and down Kauai highways. DO NOT come during Mar or April if u want to enjoy island activities. First time i' ve been disappointed coming to Hawaii. :(

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank beryl101

Reviewed March 26, 2013

After reading some reviews, I was a bit apprehensive of our stay here. It was a timeshare trade, and we were pleasantly surprised by the facilities. I thought the interior had been recently remodeled, but found out it hadn't. It was clean, fresh, had absolutely no "smell" as many people talked about. It was spacious and had a nice view of the lagoon. It had a great kitchen and it was nice to have a leisurely morning with breakfast & coffee in the room before heading out exploring. The unit even had an ice chest you could take to the beach with you! The staff was very helpful and attentive. Wh had no complaints on this unit. The king mattress was very hard.... that was then only reason this unit isn't an 'excellent".

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd or 3rd floor so you can enjoy the patio without being attacked by the chickens.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hipinessal
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This resort is in a good location on Kauai's north shore. We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa with a full, well-equiped kitchen. It had a nice lanai with a view of the waterfall near the pool area. The pool area is small, but quite beautiful and there is a nice hot tub. I think there is another larger pool area, but it was closed while we stayed because they are building a new clubhouse. There is also a pristine looking tennis court. There is a decent grocery store that isn't too far, but I would definitely recommend renting a car to explore the island. It is beautiful and the beaches are great, but it seems to rain a lot here.
A few weird things about this resort....
1. I was unable to book directly with the resort. You have to use Expedia or RCI or something similar.
2. We stayed for 4 nights and housekeeping never came the make the beds or provide fresh towels. They provided plenty of towels, so it wasn't a big deal. I just find it odd.
3. One morning I went out for a walk, taking just my camera with me. When I returned, my room key wouldn't work and the front desk gave me a VERY hard time about not having picture ID to prove that I had the right to get into that room (where my ID was safely locked up!). I understood that I would have to prove who I was by providing info like my email address or phone number, but there was no need to make me feel like a criminal or an idiot for not hauling my purse with me on a morning stroll in paradise. We travel a lot and room keys not working is a fairly common occurence, but the 3rd degree at the front desk has NEVER happened before.
4. This is a time share resort, but we never went to a presentation, so I can't tell you how big or small the pressure they put on their guests is. We have learned to say "no thanks" everywhere we go because it always ends up being a half day that you'll never get back and vacation hours are precious!

Room Tip: I would ask to be near the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mrs. M
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My family and I stayed for three nights at the Bali Hai in February and we loved it! There was a bit of confusion at check-in, which meant we had to wait a few hours to wait for the room to be cleaned, there was a pitch for time share purchase (we just said no) and we had a plumbing repair in process when we did get into the unit. We didn't mind much, the condo was renovated beautifully, had everything you could want, was close to the pool and the office and was very clean. We just sat on the lanai, had mai tais and watched the mountains and the beautiful sunset every night! I would recommend this to anyone with a family, the pool was a blast for my daughter. There was only one pool available due to construction (which we could view from our lanai, but didn't really mind) We would stay here again if we could have the same or similar condo in that same area. It is very convenient to all the activities in Princeville and Hanalei. So far it is among our favorite places to be on Kauai.

Room Tip: Pick units in building 17 or away from the construction, we were in 6 but it was fine. Ask for a ren...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maggie L
Reviewed March 17, 2013

After reading reviews I was prepared to expect the worse and hope for the best as it appears from other comments we could end up with an old unit or new upgraded unit, lots of delays etc... Our experience was a great one. We were contacted a few weeks prior to arrival (timeshare exchange through RCI) by the Wyndham to confirm our reservation and ask if we had any questions and clarify the time we would arrive. As we were arriving the day before and staying in Lihue prior to heading up Island they noted that check in was at 4:00 pm but would put a note on file that we would already be on the Island the day of check-in. We arrived an hour early and had a smooth check-in to a 2 bedroom unit (1214) that was upgraded with stainless steel appliances, granite counters, a king sized bed in the master and a queen sized in the 2nd bedroom. Two bathrooms, washer/dryer, and lots of room and spotlessly clean and frersh. Kitchen has excellent Cusinart blender (perfect for umbrella drinks and smoothies) and coffeemaker (love Kona coffee) as well as basic but well equipped kitchen supplies including rolls of paper towels, dishwasher detergent, garburator, jacuzzi tub, and nice lanai with table. No air conditioning but as others reviewed it was not necessary. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable and flat screen TVs in both bedrooms plus a smaller flat screen/DVD/FM Radio in the living room.

We declined the orientation (sales tour) and met with no resistance, simply a contact name and info package if we decided we had any questions later. The construction of the new clubhouse has closed down the one pool, but the other pool has hot tub, and lots of room for guests without being overcrowded any time we were there. There is no smoking in the rooms or out on the lanai as with no air conditioning the smoke would easily go into other units - smoking areas with tables and ash trays are discreetly spread through the property and guests appeared to honor the 'no smoking' close to units which is nice.

Only draw back was depending on where you are roomed - the trip to the Bar-B-Que may be a bit of a treck - but minor issue given all the other benefits of this property. We had Wi-Fi (free) access code given on arrival and had no problem at any time hooking up and using all our electronic devices including the pool area. Our 3rd trip to Kauai and I would definately recommend the Bali Hai Villas - maybe just keep your fingers crossed that you get one of the upgraded units as they are wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank GamaRaze
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The resort was clean and located in a nice area; however, if you are looking for basic amenities such as adequate room at the pool, working wifi in your room, or good customer service I suggest you look elsewhere. Check-in is at 4pm. If you arrive early, expect to be turned away. Also, the resort will not allow you to leave your baggage at the resort until check-in. The only thing more annoying than no wifi, is poor wifi. The signal was so weak that loggin on and staying connected was impossible. The day we checked out, we went to the clubhouse to use the internet kiosk to check-in for our flights only to be told that the internet kiosk would not be available until 3:30pm due to a sales presentation in the kiosk room.... A manager was not available to visit with me regarding any of my concerns. Although the resort was adequate, the overall service rating is a negative 1.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BCKuhn
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is our first time staying Bali Hai, and we were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the negative comments about the place before arriving. Although it's an older property and a little updating is needed here and there (just like home), our 1 bedroom condo is nicely organized, clean and comfortable. Not having a flat screen TV is not a bother to us. It appears management is refurbishing some units with new appliances, etc. Listening to the water falls by the pool area is very relaxing and the quietness is welcome, especially needed from our busy lives at home. The staff have been helpful and very nice.

Room Tip: One near the pool area's waterfalls if you like the sound.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
Wyndham Ka 'Eo Kai
Wyndham Ka 'Eo Kai
#6 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Wyndham Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!