“Mystical !”
Review of Queen's Bath

Queen's Bath
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Princeville
More attraction details
Owner description: Natural pool carved into a lava shelf, the size of several large swimming pools.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Go Early - Parking can be hard- but well worth the trip
Princeville and Hanalei are dreams come to true for any traveller

Reviewed October 20, 2013

So, here's the dealio. I was told about this from a lady of my mother's years. This lady must be quite spry because the way she described this, it was a gentle jaunt down to the shore, past some bucolic waterfalls, and down until we overlook a peaceful pool, while waves crash in against the rocks. This is only partially accurate.

On my last morning, I left my husband sleeping and went off to catch some sunrise shots, including I hoped The Queen's Bath. It turned out the parking spot wasn't even very far from our resort and I was early enough that the parking hadn't filled up at all.

I grabbed my camera and began traversing the stairs down the trail. Those stairs quickly vanished under a slick of mud, never to emerge again, and I began moving more cautiously. A couple ahead of me on the trail offered to let me pass, finding it slow going. I told them I was taking photos and would also be pretty slow, but they waved me on. I jokingly turned and told them, "Oh, you just want me for a guinea pig. You're gonna wait and see where I slip." We all laugh.

BUT....

Not fifty feet down the trail, I slip and fall for the first of three times. Okay. Move more cautiously. I pick my way slowly past the first waterfall (stopping for some mediocre pictures because I don't have a tripod on me and the ground is too muddy to steady the cam on anything). I turn up the wrong path--literally up--ascending halfway up the slope before I find signs indicating I'm actually ascending an older, more dangerous, not recommended path BACK UP. Whoops. I head back and turn down a smaller trail that proves to be the correct one.

This lower path is pretty treacherous. First of all: muddy from the recent rain. Second of all: next to the lower waterfall area. Finally, very...very bouldery, but not wide where there aren't boulders. I fall a second time--my worst of the hike--sliding down a pocket of slick mud, nearly to the edge of the trail--hey! waterfall!--and into a boulder. At this point, I realise I really ought to have a trail buddy. Still, I'm almost to the bottom. So I press on, where the couple that is also on the trail is trying to turn around. The trail has shrunk to a width of a few inches, it's descending steeply around some roots, it's hellaciously muddy. We all very very very cautiously make our way down to the rocky shelves below by dint of holding onto rocks and branches. Whee!

The waves were pretty ferocious so you couldn't really see the Bath itself that much, but it all still looked gorgeous. And slightly terrifying. Side note: I later found 2 sites that claimed 29 people have died at Queens Bath over the years, usually by dint of mistaking the wave strength, climbing on the lower rock shelves and getting pulled off, or by mistaking the relative calm of the Bath for safety. There are signs to this effect which I remember SEEING but somehow not actually realising that this was pertinent to this part of the beach. So if you do go, remember the waves can be pretty far reaching, the pool itself may be prone to ocean swell, and you can get knocked off your feet. AND I found at least one account of somebody describing how they broke their leg and had to be carried out, ruining their vacation. From what they described, it sounds really similar to my second fall--so I guess I was lucky. Don't be like me and go solo--definitely have a hiking buddy. Definitely read ALL the signs. Definitely take precautions and don't stand on the lower rocks. Do read ahead and respect that the natural beauty of this area can be dangerous.

Oh, and NOT recommended for families with small children. I imagined my rambunctious nephew scrambling over these rocks the way he did at Arches, and shuddered. I came across a family descending as I headed back up and took a second to warn them that they would want to keep their kids under close supervision.

It is really pretty, but it should be treated with caution.

1  Thank PixelLis
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Beautiful hidden gem, but it can be dangerous getting there some times of the year and finding the path to it can be tricky as it is not an advertised tourist attraction.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is just neat to visit even if you don't swim.

The hike can be muddy/slippery. It's a quick hike and quite pretty, but requires some minimal climbing and good balance. Parking can get crowded...not sure when to tell you to go! BUT, is worth the stop.

1  Thank Charles C
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is exactly what you expect to find in Kauai all those beautiful pictures you have looked at with exotic places and beautiful tide pools. Well this has to be the most amazing tide pool in the world. the size of a huge swimming pool super clear water warm waves from the ocean splashing and spilling into it.
Its a little bit of a hike to get to but not bad and its really worth it. You pass a small waterfall on the hike down the trade winds keep you cool on the way down. This is one of those places you really should see while in Kauai

1  Thank blushingbath