“Small geographical area--not a lot of choices!”

Kauai's Best Shave Ice
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Princeville
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you are going to do this, do it right--have the ice cream on the bottom, and splurge for the topping of Milnot (gives it that home made ice cream taste). If you do not do this, your shave ice may taste little better than a sno cone--which is okay if you like sno cones, but I do not. As others have noted, it may depend on how sharp the blade is at the time of your visit. Also, getting greedy on size may result in you having sticky syrup running down your arm before you can finish it.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My 7 year old and myself did a mini-shaved ice tour of Kauai from north to south. We both found Best Shaved Ice to be the best. The syrups are organic, though there are not a ton of flavors. They really pour on the syrup and give you a ton of ice cream, so you even with it tasting the best, you really walk away thinking you had a great value. I miss it already.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Love the little hole in the wall shop in Princeville. Try it with the macadamia nut ice cream in the middle, delicious. Wonderfully friendly ladies running the shop and would definitely recommend this to everyone in that area.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Shave ice is a great Hawaii treat, if you haven't ever tryed it you should, many flavors to chose from.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I have been to all the Hawaiian Islands, but never tried the shave ice. We did on our last trip when we stayed in Princeville. This is a walk-up type stand, very casual, in a shopping center surrounded by a nice grocery store, gift shops, etc. When you get a shave ice, there's a selection of flavors to put on top. The finished product is huge, and served in a small plastic cup. Be careful! Hold on tight to your shave ice and don't let go, because I made the mistake of setting it on the picnic table for a moment, and it toppled over onto its side (very top-heavy), and I feared it was ruined. Very embarrassing. :( The nice lady behind the counter saw my disaster and offered to fix it up for me so it was edible once again. One thing: don't make the mistake of calling this a "snow cone". It's a point of pride in Hawaii to serve "shave ice" in its authentic form, and considered rude to ask for a "snow cone". Try some shave ice...it's fun, and very tasty!