“Overall good, units could us some updating”

The Cliffs at Princeville
Canada
“Overall good, units could us some updating”
Reviewed April 18, 2007

We just spent a week at The Cliffs and overall it was good. Our first
week on Kauai was spent at a brand new resort on the Poipu Beach and we knew that the Cliffs was older and needed updating. The ocean view
is breathtaking - we saw many whales as we sat on the chairs overlooking the cliffs. The new recreation area (playground, basketball and volleyball courts and tennis courts) is very nice. The pool could use a facelift. The grounds are kept neat. I really liked the easy going atmosphere. Lots of bbq's. As for the units, I understand they are going to be renovated this spring. I certainly hope so! They are very roomy, but the carpet in our unit was atrocious. I was particulary concerned because we were travelling with our crawling twin babies - I'm still trying to remove the stains
on the knees of their sleepers from crawling around on the gross carpet. The kitchens are very well stocked and other than the carpets, the unit was very clean. They do charge a $50 "energy" fee/
week which I didn't know about before arriving. Maybe this is typical
of time share resorts? As you approach Princeville, the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. There is a cute grocery store within minutes of the Cliffs (ran into Jodie Foster there!) I would definitely recommend hiking up to the lookout on the NaPali coast. Beautiful!! I would stay at the Cliff's again if the carpets were replaced. We enjoyed our week there. Kauai is the most beautiful place. Enjoy your trip!!

• Liked — views, well equipped kitchens, location
  • Disliked — nasty carpet in the unit, pool needs updating
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank kdb69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We were in Kauai the week of March 18-25, 2007. The weather was perfect & our stay at The Cliffs was great. We stayed in Unit 1205. It was a one bedroom unit with two full bathrooms. We had two balconies, one in the living room & the other in the bedroom. Although we did not have an ocean view, we had lush green gardens to look at and a wonderful breeze. The room was very clean & nicely decorated and grounds were kept clean and beautifully landscaped. The pool & jacuzzi's were never over-crowded. We used them 4 times during our week stay and pretty much had them to ourselves each time.

The service at The Cliffs was great. The room is cleaned up one time during your stay (if it's booked through a timeshare), but you pretty much have everything you'll need during your stay. There's a washer & dryer in the room, which was very convenient. Parking was not a problem.

We highly recommend The Robinson Family ATV Tour. It was absolutely wonderful!! The guides were very patient with beginners and riding through the 58,000 acre jungle was awesome! We stopped for a swim in a natural spring " jungle pool" and then continued our ride. You'll see a side of Kauai that most natives never see! The attached pictures were taken during the tour.

Have fun!!

• Liked — spacious & private
  • Disliked — cigarette smoke from neighbors
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Hellohola
fort worth texas
Reviewed November 4, 2006

Our group of 5 stayed here in October. We had a 1BR loft that was very spacious. There were beds for 8 with the 2 DBL in the loft, a comfy sleeper sofa and a king in the MBR. The kitchen had everything you could possibly need. We loved sitting on the lanai and enjoying the ocean view. The property had great iminities, though the hot tub was soooo hot. We did book excursions through their tour desk, and enjoyed everything we did. The Smiths luau was great, very beautiful property and a excellent luau dinner. However, we thought the show was very lame compared to others we have seen in Hawaii. Book the Dolphin cruise up the Napali coast, but be sure and take Bonine before hand for the seasickness.
You cannot go wrong here. It is truely a marvelous place we would return in a heartbeat if we could!!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank kevnbren
Colorado
Reviewed June 8, 2006

We stayed a week at the Cliffs resort and were very pleased with the accommodations in our particular unit (#4202), a 1-BR 2-BA condo with a decent ocean view from the balcony. The interior was very nicely furnished and the kitchen was well-equipped. We booked our rental directly through the owner of the unit (whom we do not know personally), and found the experience to be very positive. He also has an excellent, informative web site: ---
One thing that should be understood about the Cliffs is that it’s not a luxury resort hotel like the Priceville Hotel down the road. These condos are for the most part vacation rentals that are individually owned, furnished, and maintained. If you happen to rent a run-down unit, it’s more the responsibility of the owner rather than the Cliffs management staff. You shouldn't expect all the units to be exactly the same, any more than you would expect all the houses in your own neighborhood to be the same inside and out. I’d recommend researching several different units and comparing them if you are renting from an owner. Having never been there before, we were fortunate to rent from an owner who keeps his unit maintained in tip-top condition. As for the views, as a rule of thumb the higher the building number, the closer to cliff and the better the ocean view. The mountain views are great too, if your unit is farther “inland”.

In terms of the resort amenities, I can’t really comment too much on those, since we didn’t use the pool, didn’t book any tours through the activities desk, or sign up for any of the classes like hula lessons or coconut painting. I will say they have the some of the most well-kept tennis courts I have ever seen, although I we did not use them. I did use the putting green once, and found it to be very slow because the grass was kept pretty long (however I didn’t let that ruin my vacation). Also, if Kauai’s climate just isn’t hot enough and humid enough for you, I believe The Cliffs also has a sauna room near the reception area.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Cliffs if you are looking for a clean and affordable property on the north side of Kauai, and aren’t planning on hanging out at the resort all day long (which I guess you better be doing if you are paying say $600 a day at the Princeville Hotel and want to get your money’s worth). The Cliffs worked out great for us since we could prepare our own meals, wash and dry our clothes at our convenience (they will get dirty if you hike a lot), and not get bugged by housekeeping staff. Also, my wife and I each having our own bathroom worked out well.

• Stayed May 2006
14 Thank Capn_Sarcastic
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My 81-yr-old mother, my 76-yr-old aunt, and I stayed at The Cliffs from 21May06-01June06. We rented two condos, one was in building 5 and the other in building 2. The condos were mirror images of each other in terms of layout, amenities, square footage, etc., however building 5 offered the oceanview accomodation while building 2 was garden view. Certainly one unit would have been ample for us three, but I wanted my own as my Golden Girls require a different schedule from mine. After the long travel day we were fried by the time we checked in, however, once we opened the door to our condos our vacation began with a huge smile and upbeat reaction. Our condos were spacious, ultra clean, beautifully appointed/decorated, with two full baths, washer/dryer, king-sized bed, all the electronic entertainment one could ask for, fully equipped kitchen, ample towels, etc. The Cliffs more than delivered and we were quite delighted to return to our comfortable condos each day after journeying about the island. Having no restaurant on site was never a problem for us as we took advantage of nearby grocery stores' deli/takkee-outtee, cooked simple meals, selected local restaurants while out sight-seeing. I've vacationed on Kauai more than a dozen times, but with the exception of one visit staying at the Hanalei Bay Resort, have usually rented in the Kapaa or Lihue area to reduce driving time when sight-seeing because staying on the north end of the island adds a lot of miles. Would I stay at The Cliffs again? Most definitely, and especially if I were to plan a vacation which concentrated my activities in and around the north end. The only reasons I did not give The Cliffs a top rating was the lack of an onsite restaurant which might be a problem for some and the units are not air-conditioned. (A/C is not a biggie for us.) For us, we totally enjoyed the quietude, the large expanses of lawns inbetween buildings, the view from the adirondack chairs near the cliffs, the friendly staff, the extremely comfortable bed, and even though it's the tropics and insects/critters are a given, we appreciated that we never saw even one many-legged creature setting up house-keeping in our condos. Not even one lone ant came calling. In short, we have zero complaints about our experience at The Cliffs and hope the next time we visit Kauai The Cliffs has vacancies for the dates we need.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank Jo B
Temecula, California
Reviewed May 25, 2006

Kauai was beautiful beyond comparison. Dont forget your bug Spray. Mosquitos will get eat you up unless you apply it regularly. Our excursions were great. I highly recommend the horse back riding and the Zodiak raft trips. The food here was so so. The casual food was actually better than the fine dining. We were not impressed with the Bali Hai restaurant. The view is spectacular so go there for a drink or cofffee but not dinner unless you like Tough chewy, sandy scallops. I loved the breakfast at the Java Kai. Great coffee and waffles.
We all enjoyed Smiths for the Luau. The show was just ok but the grounds are beautiful and worth an evening there. l.

We stayed in the Cliffs Club resort. The surrounding grounds are beautiful. Don't expect an ocean view though. Our unit was not as clean as I would have appreciated and I was unpleasantly surprised by a huge cockroach in the bathroom at midnight. The carpet and window coverings needed replaced and the road noise was rather unpleasant for my daughter sleeping in the living room pull out bed also in the loft.

• Stayed March 2006
19 Thank teacupmama
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

Just returned from a week at The Cliffs. Unit very roomy, huge master bedroom, enormous grounds but not utilised. View from the second and third floor units may be very nice of the sea, but hard to see from the ground floor due to the unkempt garden in front of the unit. Found staff to be very distant, unhelpful and unfriendly. Check in time is 4pm, we were kept waiting till after 5pm without even an apolpgy. Had to make activity arrangements through a local agent as the activity director was not interested in helping us. We were a group of 4 from Australia. Housekeeping was very poor, after changing some of the sheets on the 3rd day they stowed the upright vacuum cleaner in the wardrobe in the lounge amongst our clean hanging clothes and on top of our shoes. Every activity was $20 or more, even painting a coconut. Kaui is a very beautiful island and there is lots to see and do, however make sure you stay somewhere other than The Cliffs, you will certainly enjoy your stay on the island more.

• Stayed April 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
#1 of 4 in Princeville
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville

Been to The Cliffs at Princeville? Share your experiences!