“Love the Cliffs”

The Cliffs at Princeville
Newhall, California
“Love the Cliffs”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We've been coming to the Cliffs every year since 2000. We love the North Shore Kauai location, the views and the staff. It's also a terrific value for your vacation budget. The condo's are nicely furnished without being overly luxurious. The staff is friendly and helpful. The activity center is knowledgeable and can get you reservations for almost anything you want to do. The location is perfect with no more than a twenty minute drive to the most beautiful beaches on the island. The pool is small but beautiful and you rarely have to fight for a lounge chair.

In short, Kauai and the Cliffs is the only place on the planet I can relax.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FredJanet
jsundberg, Front Office Manager at The Cliffs at Princeville, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Aloha!
Mahalo for your kind words. I am delighted that your time on Kauai and here at the Cliffs was so relaxing. I will share your kind words with our staff.
We will look forward to welcoming you back to the Cliffs.

A hui ho, (until we meet again)

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Lynbrook, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We booked The Cliffs through RCI and were given a one-bedroom, two-bath loft on the third floor in Building 5. Although only two of us, eight could easily stay here, between the master bedroom, the pull-out couch, and the two queen-sized beds in the loft. The resort is simply beautiful. To wake up in the morning and see the ocean out one lanai and the mountains out the other is spectacular. What made our stay even more special was the incredible service we got from the concierge staff. We had booked one excursion from home (not related to The Cliffs), but unfortunately it got cancelled that morning due to high ocean swells. The concierge staff was able to get us into two other events that more than compensated for what we would have missed and for less than the cost we would have paid. We booked other activities as well, and were not disappointed in any of them ... in fact, we were very pleased. (We recommend the Kauai Sea Tours Dinner Cruise, the Kayak Hanalei river and bay kayak and snorkel, the Yoga Meditation, and the basket weaving by Eugene.) Our last night, we BBQ'd out in the gazebo on the gas grill and had awesome Hawaiian BBQ'd ribs and potato salad while we watched the sun set. A great way to end an absolutely super vacation. We highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The best views of the ocean are in Buildings 5 through 9. Also, we would recommend upper floors so...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony T
Aloha Anthony T!!

Mahalo for your review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read you had such a great time here at the Cliffs and on our beautiful island of Kauai. I will be sure and share your wonderful comments about your experience with our Concierge staff. When you are ready to return, you may phone them prior to your arrival, they then will have everything arranged and confirmed.
Dinner at our bluff gazebo is a wonderful experience, I am glad you got to enjoy.

We will look forward to welcoming you back to the Cliffs one day.

A Hui Ho (until we meet again)

san jose, ca
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The place we rented was 1 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment. The place is very clean and neat. The apartment can use some some upgrades, decor is a bit dated. The staff is very friendly. The head concierge Sabrina is excellent.The area around the resort is beautiful. There is no access to the beach. Pool is small and only 4 ft deep. Tennis rackets and balls are free to use on the tennis courts. Bicycles are available to rent for $10.Kitchen is well equipped. Bedroom has one king bed and living room has 2 sofas one which opens up to be a queen bed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
jsundberg, Front Office Manager at The Cliffs at Princeville, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Aloha from the Cliffs,

Mahalo for staying with us during your recent vacation! I am happy that you enjoyed the property and some of our many amenities. I must agree, we have a fantastic Concierge staff, Sabrinia in particular! I do hope that should you decide to visit our beautiful island again, you will once again select the Cliffs!

Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were very comfortable in our 1 bedroom condo. It had all we needed as our home base for wonderful adventures. The location put us close to all the North Shore had to offer! We would love to stay there again, but I think this resort might be a little better for adults than kids. The pool wasn't as big as another resort we stayed at on the island, and it was much quieter. Great for us. The Princeville area was nice to explore on foot while running. Lots to see and nice bike/walk paths to keep us off the road. Lots of beautiful beaches are a short drive away!

Room Tip: Waterview if you can get it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BethPLKN
Aloha from the Cliffs,

Mahalo for your kind words and for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed the peacefulness of the property as well. I see that you stayed with us in July, when we had lots of children on property and were able to find quite spots. We do offer an adult area to our pool to help find those peaceful spots as well as activities geared more towards children such as our playground area.

I do hope that should your travel plans include Kauai, I hope you will once again join us here at the Cliffs.

Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just spent a week at the Cliffs at Princeville and was impressed by the quality of the accommodations. One of the nicer places I have stayed.

I booked through Interval International and was given a total per day cost for the suite. When I arrived I was told that I would have to pay a $75.00 a week activity fee.I asked about this hidden fee and was told it was being used to pay for the phone and the internet access. When it came to the internet the connection repeatedly dropped. The activities the resort offered were pay for use.
I have booked rooms with II at least ten times in the recent past and was never charged any of these type of additional fees. The total price was the total price. To add insult to injury I was charged an additional $4.93 a night CR Timeshare tax at checkout. All told I payed an additional $99.65 for the week. It's not the cost that is the issue. It's the way they were hidden. Don't book this resort. It is a nice place but they are not up front with their costs.

Room Tip: No AC. Get a room on the upper floors for better air flow.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sparkey447
John Y, Manager at The Cliffs at Princeville, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Aloha from the Cliffs,
We're glad our resort met (and it sounds like surpassed) your expectations as far as the property goes. I am sorry you felt torpedoed by hidden costs. However it sounds like your issues would be better directed at Interval International rather than Trip Adviser. we are very clear about our fees with your trading company and it was disappointing to read you were not aware of this. As for the taxes, we have no more control over what the State &/or Federal Government charges than anyone else. This is not a fee from the resort, it is from the government.
We hope to see you in the future and want to thank you again for your kind words about our wonderful property.
Colorado
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have visited Hawaii may times and this is our favorite! Rooms are very large, and they have been updated recently. I love the tropical feel of the decor -- just right, not over done! Grounds are beautiful -- and we loved the chickens and nene (geese) which came by to visit (they are hopeful for a handout, but don't feed them!). Staff was exceptionally helpful in finding handicapped parking for us near our unit -- even provided a sign! Swimming pool was small but great for families since it is only 4' deep. This is not beachfront property, but the gorgeous sunsets make up for that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ColoradoHi2009
Aloha from the Cliffs!

Mahalo for your kind words! We look forward to welcoming you back again! The Cliffs is a pretty special place for family as well as couples. And, yes, I must agree, there is nothing like taking in a sunset from the bluff here at the Cliffs.

I was happy to read your comments about our staff, we do have a great team who truly love what they do.

Come back soon!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Loved the amenities, beautifully coiffed grounds, putting green, tennis courts and convenient parking. But, the best part was how well our condo in bulding 4 was stocked with everything you'd ever think you'd need! All the cookware, supplies (sponges, dishing washing detergent, paper towels), and extra pillows, beach chairs, electronics, free Wi-Fi -- I could certainly live there! While there was no air conditioning (only drawback), I must stress that with the breezes, opening the windows did the trick. I was also happy I was not approached with the timeshare talk.

Room Tip: Pick something on the 2nd floor so you feel comfortable leaving your sliding glass doors open at nig...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
jsundberg, General Manager at The Cliffs at Princeville, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Aloha from the Cliffs,

Mahalo for your recent visit. I was happy to read how much you enjoyed our "home away from home". Our housekeeping staff has tried to think off everything to make your stay pleasent. If you don't see it, please ask, we may just have it available.

Our wonderful trade winds keeps us cool and I am glad to see you found them enjoyable as well.

Please do consider staying with us again, we would be happy to have you!

Mahalo for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

Best regards,

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
#1 of 4 in Princeville
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville

Been to The Cliffs at Princeville? Share your experiences!