“never again”

The Cliffs at Princeville
Duvall, Washington
“never again”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I go to hawaii almost every year.....kauai is my favorite island. its beautiful and laid back. I have stayed in numerous condos and hotels. I stayed at THE CLIFFS about 10 years ago and thought it was fine. this visit.....was a nightmare. our condo was very rundown. it seemed everything was broken and falling apart. we were on the 1st floor and the broken blinds did not provide any privacy, fans didn't work, carpet was dirty, locks on sliding doors in need of repair. pullout bed miserable and these are only a few of the issues. I do not have a timeshare but most people there seemed to have one. not sure whats going on but there is a huge problem with THE CLIFFS. stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank pammypoo49
jsundberg, Front Office Manager at The Cliffs at Princeville, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Aloha Pammypoo 49,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent Stay with us. I would like to speak with your directly regarding your stay so that we may make improvements. Would you be so kind and phone me at 808-826-2169.

Mahalo,
June Sundberg
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My family and I stayed at The Cliffs for a week. Upon arrival we were greeted by a haughty man behind the desk who gave us the news that we would have to pay a "resort fee." We had not expected this and it had never been done before at any other condo that we had ever stayed at. When we told the man this he simply said, "oh, it is trending right now." Though I doubt that because our family has been to all 50 states and have stayed at many condos throughout them, we had just stayed a week prior on the island of Maui and there was no such fee.
Since we were island hoping we had quite a lot of baggage and were given a top floor, there was no elevator and we had to tote our things up three flights of stairs (not counting me and my two sisters carrying all of our things up another flight of stairs to the loft). We were also disappointed in finding that we did not have an ocean view, when it had been specified and confirmed more than once by phone.
Later when we called the desk to send up two fans (since this condo does not have air conditioning) they said, "if we can find them." And then brought only one at least 30 minutes later.
The loft area would be fine, if they had more lighting...a single lamp in the middle of two beds, and a small desk lamp further in a nook upstairs. And at one point the lamp's lightbulb went out, since the maintenance man had already left for the night we had to remove a lightbulb from a downstairs lamp. There was no bathroom upstairs which meant a trek up and down stairs in the middle of the night, and no privacy to change upstairs, unless standing in just the right place as far away from the banister as possible.
On one of the days my sisters went to ask the front desk for a volleyball (since there is a net on the grounds), and the persons on staff acted as if they were asking for the moon. They pointed them in a direction of a closet BEHIND the desk and told them to check there for one, which is very unprofessional and very unbusiness like telling your patrons to do your job for you. When they didn't find a volleyball in the closet the des people simply said, "oh, then someone else must have it," though the volleyball court was empty.
One night at 5 o'clock in the morning the smoke alarm goes off in the loft. Since the place has tall ceilings and is very open there is only one smoke alarm to begin with, but despite that it echoes loudly through the house. We stumble out of bed and make sure the condo isn't on fire (since we are on the third floor with only one possible exit down the 3 flights of stairs, and there is no fire escape off the balcany...so obviously a fire would not be good), Dad then calls the front desk to tell them about the problem so they can shut if off. Since the maintenance man had already gone home they sent a security guard instead. The desk also slips and lets us know that this is a known problem and has happened to several other rooms and the maintenance man "has gotten a chance to look at them." Us girls hid away in the masterbedroom (since we were in our nightclothes) while the security guard and Dad went upstairs to shut off the alarm. The next day we discover that the security guy had somehow knocked out power to half of the outlits upstairs and no one came to fix the problem, so we had to move the lamps around to random places on the floor and find plug ins that worked.
On our last full day on Kuaui we wanted to go and see The Queen's Bath and get some pictures of it (we did not want to swim because we had heard it was so dangerous). Going to the desk once again Dad was met by Mr. Haughty himself and he asked the directions to Queen's Bath in which Mr. High-and-Mighty replied, "Too many people get hurt down here. We don't give out the directions anymore." Dad was touched by his concern for our safety, (this is sarcasm speaking to be sure!) but what right was it of his to monitor our sightseeing spots? Especially when the place was listed as a "must see" thing to do in Kauai. We left and asked a local the directions and found that it was only a block or two away from our condo! If it had been company policy it would have done well for him to say so instead of look down his snooty nose and tell us we weren''t allowed to view a local hot spot!
I must say that the rooms were very nice, and the beds comfortable, but even a king in his royal castle would behead servants who acted in such a manner and with such little regard to their customers!! Overall I got the feeling of, "Take it or leave it bub, there will be more to take your place soon enough."

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank VAdventure
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Cliffs using our friends' RCI timeshare week. Our unit was garden view--view of the parking lots, but lots of flowers and trees in the view, too, so not bad. There is no air conditioning, but there is an internal fan system at least in the bathrooms that was always on, so our bathing suits and towels dried fast enough. We didn't use the concierge staff much, except for dinner suggestions, as my husband did a lot of pre-planning with guide books, which unfortunately led us to outfitters at the other end of the island most every day. But what a drive! We had a fabulous time--our first to Kauai. We did go horseback riding very near our condo, we did the open sided helicopters, Jack Harter. Also the Birds in Paradise motorized hang gliders--OMG--the ride of a lifetime. We also took a Kipu ranch ATV tour which was so cool, driving thru small waterfalls, thru palm groves, over hills--breathtaking.

So, we weren't in our room all that much, so the modest accomadations didn't bother us too much. We kept our food in the fridge or closed tight due to ants. The furniture and rugs were tired, but not gross because I'm picky and it would have been a deal breaker if they looked too dirty.

Princeville is so close to Hanalei and the Na Pali coast. That beach at sunset is my "happy place" now. You won't regret making it your happy place, either.

Room Tip: Our 3rd floor walkup offered us a good view and privacy even though we had the
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The room itself was fine. No view to speak of, but the kitchen was filled with little ants. Yuck. Had a welcome reception with a stupid raffle giving away key chains. My husband had left to use the restroom w/ the ticket in his pocket and of course they called our number. When he returned, the staff told him it was too bad he missed his opportunity. (It was a cheap little key chain for crying out loud, isn't customer relations more important?..guess not).
Well the worst was that they charged our credit card the resort fee as a cash advance. Didn't know this until we got home and found a $10 service fee along with a 25.24% interest charge on my credit card bill. I have been trying to resolve the issue for over a month. They have assured me that they will resolve it but don't even have the courtesy to return my phone calls or email.
If you have a chance to stay somewhere else...do it!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pigglywiggly
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I just returned from staying here a week (8/13 to 8/20 '11), and we hated it.

First up . . . entirely too many critter incidents. Then dirty and so DIM! Lastly, NO air conditioning.

The morning after we arrived, I got up and started to walk into the kitchen. There in the middle of the floor was a GIGANTIC spider, the size of the palm of my hand. It was the biggest spider I've ever seen in real life, and we live in Arizona where there are tarantulas and scorpions, OK?! Picked up the circa 1970 5-lb square office desk phone to call the front desk about pest control . . . no dialtone. Plugged into a jack? Yes. Just didn't work. No other phone in the entire joint. Before I had a chance to walk over to the reception bldg to complain, and after I woke up my poor jet-lagged husband to squash it with one of their coffee table magazines, I discovered under the sink a huge can of industrial strength bug killer with directions that said after spraying it around an area, you should "ventilate the area for several hours" before re-occupying the space. Uh-huh. OK, so obviously the killer bugs are a recognized problem, and the "cure" has already been provided. Probably wouldn't do any good to complain about it. Next day, one smaller spider dead already on the kitchen floor. Another day, my husband suddenly grabbed my arm and yanked on me because behind my back a roach was quickly scooting across the kitchen floor in my direction. He ran under the fridge, so he got to live to disgust and frighten new occupants, I guess, this week.

We didn't realize until we'd gotten our timeshare exchange confirmation certificate that this place had no air conditioning. No air, in Hawaii, in August, is ridiculous. At the place we stayed on the big island last year, we were at least given the option to pay EXTRA to turn on the air. Here - no option. We were told by someone that it's a little cooler up in the northern Princeville area, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. But it was - 80's and 90's while we were there, and we were very uncomfortable. There was a ceiling fan in the living room and bedroom, but it didn't help much; they weren't very fast.

We arrived about 7pm, it was already getting dark, so we didn't realize how dim it would be inside our unit during the day. There were only 2 ceiling lights, in the kitchen and a dim one in the dining area. Otherwise, there were lamps in the other rooms - not enough of them, and with very weak bulbs. One of the lamps could only be turned on and off by plugging and unplugging it. There were no windows on the sides, the back view was trees and the front a coupla bushes and the parking lot. I personally needs lots of light and bright and sunlight to feel my best, so I found the lighting issue made this an even more depressing place to stay.

Could go on - kitchen counter wasn't cleaned when we got there, blinds were raggedy, old old furniture and bathroom fixtures, etc., the pool was very small with antiquated fake-rock landscaping and freezing cold, but I think I've said enough.

If you decide to stay here anyway, all I can say is I hope you love cats because the resort is home to an extended family of strays. If you're on the ground floor (we were) one or more of them will definitely and daily grace your patio with their presence, meowing and begging for food. DON'T feed them! Unless you love cats ALOT!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dilyn688
Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The resort itself was nice-pretty views of the ocean, decent landscaping, and clean rooms. We used a timeshare and were given a "garden view," which was actually a view of a parking lot from both lanais. The unit was well-kept. There was no air conditioning, but with both lanais open, that did not seem to be a problem.

Because of our unit, we had to walk to the other side of the resort to see the ocean. It was a terrific view so it is probably a lot better to stay in those rooms.

This resort is on the north shore, which is beautiful. We went in the summer so the ocean in that area was a lot safer than it is in the winter. There were many great beaches nearby to explore, but be aware that many attractions are on the east coast so it might be a bit of a drive to get places. The beauty of the north shore made it worth it for us.

We would have given this resort a higher rating if it weren't for the concierge staff. We went to their "welcome" session and it ended up taking up two hours of our vacation. That would not have been too terrible, but they clearly had ties to certain businesses and were going to push their services depending on the attraction you wanted. The prices of the concierge were as much or higher than those if you went to the businesses directly or used a different company. The staff also provided misinformation about some activities (trip advisor was much more helpful)!

Bottom line: The north shore is beautiful so many resorts have great views. If you are looking for a decent room, the Cliffs is okay but do not rely on their concierge staff!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank SmallTownGirl11
Tustin, California
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I really enjoyed this condo rental. It was in princeville, which is rainy all the time, pretty much, but super lush. The condo is a close drive to Napali coast as well. The condo i stayed in was very well maintained and had a washer/dryer, full kitchen, and well stocked. I would highly recommend this place to friends. The only downside is the location doesnt have beach access.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knpharmd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville

Been to The Cliffs at Princeville? Share your experiences!