“Best course on kauai”

Princeville Makai Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The Top Golf Experience on Kauai; Our 27-hole Golf Facility was designed by Mr. Robert Trent Jones Jr.-in the late 1960s. We recently went through an extensive renovation to 18 (Oceans & Lakes Nines) of our 27 holes (Woods Is Still Open But Was Not Renovated). The new 18 was opened in January of 2010 and is now know as the Makai Course. The new and improved championship Makai course is a breath taking par-72 at over 7,200 yards. We proudly boast some of the most epic ocean/mountain views Hawaii golf has to offer.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This course is perfect. I'm a 15 handicap, so take that into account. This course is pristine and very fair on its layout. The staff and starters are very friendly and helpful. The views of the ocean and north shore mountains are breath taking. We played this course multiple times during our stay, even though it was a 45 minute drive from the kauai lagoons, where we were staying. This course is a must play.

1  Thank DocShad
Douglas S, Manager at Princeville Makai Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Aloha Doc,

Mahalo for your review! We are so glad to hear you had a wonderful time with us at Princeville Makai Golf Club! We are very happy with our current conditions and layout! As you mentioned it is very hard to find a better course on Kauai than right here at Princeville Makai!

Look Forward To Seeing You Again Soon!

Aloha,

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently golfed at the Makai Golf Course with my father and a family friend. The scenery was amazing, the course was challenging but fun, and I can honestly say it was worth the $175 that we payed to golf there. I would highly recommend this course to any golfer, the Makai Golf Course is the most BEAUTIFUL course I have ever golfed on, and I'll have the memory forever.

Aloha Peter,

Mahalo for your amazing review! We are so glad to hear you greatly enjoyed our Princeville Makai Golf Club during your recent visit to our paradise! As you mentioned we are truely blessed with world class views of the Pacific Ocean (5 Oceanfront holes), Napli Mountains, and Many Northshore Wonders (Hanalei Bay, Puff the Magic Dragon, Queens Bath, Famous Beaches... etc)! With ALL of These Incredible Views It Truely Is Challenging To Keep Your Eyes on The Ball!

We Look Forward To See You Again Soon!

Aloha,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've been visiting Kauai for ten years and I play the makai every visit. Played the course for the second time this visit this morning. First, no replay rate, a full 180 bucks. Beautiful views but this is no prince course or poipu and they charge 59 bucks less to repay.

When I arrived there was starter or anyone at bag check so I followed the lead of the other golfer present and placed my bag and shoe bag on a cart, checked in and paid and went to th range. When I came back my gear had been moved to another cart, I was concerned as my wallet and watch (stupid I know) were in the cart. The starter had arrived and didn't appear to be in a great mood. I asked if I could have a cart to myself (valuables and pace of play) and the answer was "I don't know what they do where you come from, but here we share carts". I then pointed at the cart next to me and said that guys got a cart to himself, the answer was "he plays here every day". I can only assume that tourists and TEN YEAR returning visitors are not as important here.

Including some souvenirs and tips I spent just over 550 bucks at the makai on this trip. My rental house overlooks the course and I also reported some kids vandalising the place earlier in the week. Wish I hadn't bothered as they evidently don't care about their customers, just the dollars.

By the way, the greens are dog slow. Very very annoyed, how can anyone be as miserable as the starter when he lives in paradise!!

2  Thank Gareth K
Douglas S, Manager at Princeville Makai Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Aloha Gareth!

Mahalo For Your Review! Thank you for the very nice complement about our memorable views of the North Shore. I am truly sorry about your recent experience with us here at Princeville Makai! As I looked back on the date and reviewed the situation with our starter who was present on your second day of play I can agree the situation was handled very inappropriately; he (our starter) now knows how to handle such a situation in the future, I can assure you of this! Once again I am very sorry he was so firm and unfriendly that morning. I graciously ask you to give us another chance again soon. P.S. I am sorry the greens were not to the speed of your liking. To avoid the slow green issue it is best to avoid us in late May early June. Unfortunately they are left a little longer to heal from our Aeration process during this time of year.

Thank you again for all of your support for Princeville Makai over the years! I can assure you next time your experience will be much different!

Mahalo Nui Loa ~

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Makai Course is now managed by Troon Golf Resorts and it is renewed and in great shape. We started with a quick breakfast at the snack bar and were on the course earlier than our scheduled tee time. Breathtaking views and challenging hole placements. The wind can be a significant factor but it was calm and balmy on the day we played. Will be back.

Douglas S, Manager at Princeville Makai Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Aloha Kentkt!

Mahalo For Your Very Kind Review! From The Sounds of It Your Day With Us Will Go Down As A Wonderful Memory! We Strive To Make Sure Each and Everyone One of Our Guests Leaves On A Very Positive Note! I Am Very Glad You Brought Up The Fact That We Are Now Managed By Troon Golf. Troon Golf, The World’s Largest Luxury Golf Course Management Firm Has Done Wonders For Our Golf Facility! We Will Make Sure To Keep Makai Rocking and Rolling Until Your Next Trip Our Way!

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The course is one of the the most spectacular that I have played. I booked my tee time from ezlinks and paid in advance. I brought my wife ride along with me. I was charged an extra $35.00 for the rider. I told the proshop cashier that I had played many resort courses in the past including the Lagoons in Kauai and had never been charged for my wife to ride with me. She told me "This is not the Lagoons"
Were it not for the extra charge and the smart reply I would give it 5 stars.

2  Thank Robert W

Aloha Robert W,

Mahalo For Your Review! We Are Extremely Happy To Hear That You Thoroughly Enjoyed Our Golf Course Experience This Past March! We Strive To Provide ALL of Our Guests With The Best Golf Surfaces Hawaii Has To Offer! As I Am Sure You Can Agree We Would Be Doing Our World Renowned Views A Disservice if We Did Not Strive To Do So! I Am Very Sorry To Hear You Were So Disappointed In Our “Rider” Fee Which I Prefer To Refer To as Our “Photographer” Fee. This Fee Has Become A Standard at Many of Golf’s Premier Golf Courses. Being A Top 100 Golf Facility in America, A Top 5 Facility in The State of Hawaii, and One of National Geographic Travel Mag Top 5 Most Scenic Golf Courses In The World One Can Imagin Why We Have A Very High Demand For Riders. Now, as For The Smart Reply Which You Received For Our Golf Shop Staff This Is Not Expectable and Definitely Not Promoted Here At Makai. I Will Make A Point To Speak With ALL of Our Shop Staff Members To Make Sure This Does Not Happen Again In The Future!

Mahalo Nui Loa!