“Not in great shape.”

Princeville Makai Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The Top Golf Experience on Kauai; Our 27-hole Golf Facility was designed by Mr. Robert Trent Jones Jr.-in the late 1960s. We recently went through an extensive renovation to 18 (Oceans & Lakes Nines) of our 27 holes (Woods Is Still Open But Was Not Renovated). The new 18 was opened in January of 2010 and is now know as the Makai Course. The new and improved championship Makai course is a breath taking par-72 at over 7,200 yards. We proudly boast some of the most epic ocean/mountain views Hawaii golf has to offer.
Miami, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not in great shape.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Some holes with great views, but fairways were not in great shape. I like to have fun but drunk wedding party on course tearing up the grens and fairways.

Visited October 2012
Douglas S, Manager at Princeville Makai Golf Club, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Aloha Craig S,

I would like to thank you for writing a Trip Advisor Review of the Makai Golf Club at Princeville.I am very sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the course condition along with the ocean views of our breath taking golf course. I am very surprised to hear that you found the fairways specifically to be in bad condition; most our guests cannot believe how impeccable they are. My favorite quote that I hear over and over again is “hitting off of your fairways is like hitting off of a plush carpet.” As for the views I am extremely surprised to read you thought that the Prince golf course had more ocean views then our experience. The word “Makai” in Hawaiian means “Towards the ocean.” We are very proud of our 6 holes that are just steps away from the infamous Princeville Bluffs edge. The Prince course simply has 1 par 3 hole that gets somewhat close to the pacific waters.

We never want a guest to have a bad taste in their mouth after playing our Top 5 course in the state. We are in the business of providing an immense amount of fun and life long memories. If that is not what you experienced during your trip with us I greatly apologize! I can assure you our golf maintenance team works very hard to keep our course in a superior shape above all the other courses on the island. I want to make sure we can do everything in our power to make things right for you. Will you be back to our isle paradise any time soon? Thank you again for your review. I promise next time you will have nothing but amazing things to say. If you are able to give a little more time to this review I would greatly appreciate more specific details of your experience with us and I will address them accordingly with my team here. As I mentioned we hate to have you dissatisfied with our world class golfing experience! Please enjoy the link I have included with a few beautiful images from Makai! http://www.makaigolf.com/album.php?aid=d1ea0f6aef83387fe76177093a13ceb9&hide=1

Aloha Craig S. we look forward to hearing from you again soon!

Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank You Very Much)

Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice resort course...very playable”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Amazing ocean view holes and enough challenges to make it an interesting round. Hard to concentrate on golf with so much beauty all around you.

Visited November 2012
Singapore, Singapore
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Golfing in paradise”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'm not a golfer by nature but we did end up playing a scramble over 9 holes with 3 complete strangers and it was a load of fun, complete with a lesson at the start, and a souvenir at the finish. Balls were not cheap (bought 12 balls for $36) and a club cost $120 if you happen to somehow lose it (still cannot figure this one out) but boy it was worth it just for the memory and being able to say "i played on the Makai course in Princeville". Beautiful backdrops of Bali Hai (Makana) or the ocean on many holes. Just do it.

San Diego, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This Course”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great course! Beautiful views. Makai was a welcome breath after getting beat up on the Prince course a few days before :-) It's really straightforward and there's plenty of space in between tee times so you don't feel rushed.

Redmond, Washington
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“September is Maintenance Time”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We did the "Nine and Dine" about 2p and just played the front nine holes (the scenic views on holes 6, 7, and 8 are very nice). The greens were just aerated (we knew that coming in) and were a mess. [Comparatively speaking, all the courses we played the week of Sept 23-30 were aerating, but these were 'really' sandy.] The starter sent us off with our cart set on "Marshall" so we could see where we (and the other cart) was, but not any of the distances. (You needed to tap the screen on the lower left corner 5 times to reset the cart ~ we found out when we returned.) It's the "downtime" on the island and while there was only one other cart playing (or that we saw), which made our round very enjoyable, it seems as though everyone had "checked" out. The front nine is definately resort golf - not easy, but the fairways and rough are quite forgiving (i.e., the rough isn't really rough and the fairways don't have the constant undulations known in toughter courses.) It's a nice place to play golf on the island and the views are wonderful.

Visited September 2012