“Great food at a reasonable price.”
Review of The Tavern - CLOSED

The Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2014

When on an island, you expect to pay the price when you go out to eat. However, at the Tavern, you get reasonable prices, good portions and and good food. The location is on a golf course with a beautiful view of the ocean in the distance. The servers are also very nice.
It is not far from Princeville at the Princes Golf Course. For us, it is a highlight of our trip and it has not disappointed us.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was a great treat that we discovered at the end of our trip to Princevile. We spent the week eating primarily at the St. Regis, and wish we found it sooner.

The ahi appetizer is amazing. Food is good wholesome classic gastro pub food. Not too fancy, but done with a ton of flavor.

We were able to walk in and were seated right away, despite calling 5 minutes earlier and being told that there were no reservations for at least an hour.

The ambience is not great. Not horrible, but not what I would have expected from Chef Roy. They need to work on this a little bit.

That being said, the service and food made up for the setting. Definitely a great casual option for great food.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Views of the golf course and the ocean backdrop are gorgeous. Island fish sandwich (blackened opah, today) was good. Tasty take on the Mai Tai with muddled pineapple and basil (when in Rome... :-)... Menu was somewhat limited and they were out of their BBQ shredded pork special; but I'd definitely go back.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stopped by to grab lunch and watch USA in a soccer final. We were waiting at the door for the 11 am opening as we were anxious to get to a tv, a drink and relax. It seemed to irritate the bar tend that we were so eager...not pushy. Anyway that all smoothed out and we soon felt welcomed. I think my delicious Bloody Mary helped my attitude. I had the BLTA sandwich and it was tasty. My partner was super impressed with the Tavern Bacon Blue Burger. As I recall it was served with a mega amount of fries. They have a nice a selection of beers as well. We met some nice folks at the bar and alas Roy Y's place turned out to be a memorable event. Just go, the setting is pure Kauai.

1  Thank Reddais
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The Tavern offers gorgeous views, but almost all of the food we ordered was mediocre at best. Before dinner, all of the children at the table were given a complimentary quesadilla, which was a great start. Our server was attentive and friendly, but the food we ordered missed the mark. The ribeye was by far the best dinner item we sampled. However, I thought the sauces on the ribeye made it taste more like prime rib. Other items we tried were the fried chicken, caesar salad, ribs and macaroni and cheese. The friend chicken was drastically under seasoned and the mac and cheese was tasteless. Both of these items tasted like cafeteria food. The ribs were edible, but not great and the mashed potatoes didn't taste homemade. Some of the caesars lacked in dressing and again there was nothing special about their version of this salad. I'd recommend heading to The Tavern for a drink at happy hour to enjoy the scenery and not ordering any food items.

1  Thank Lori K