“Great Change of Pace For Homestyle Chow”
Review of The Tavern - CLOSED

The Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great Change of Pace For Homestyle Chow”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After having great seafood all week, was very pleased to find Roy Yamaguchi (of Roy's fame) had a place on the Prince golf course called the Tavern. Great southern style food. Wife had fried chicken and I had the ribs. Large portions of really top quality food in a great setting. Not overly priced (by Hawaii standards anyway). One of our favorite meals.

Visited July 2013

Stockton, California
“Enjoyable!!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My Husband and I went to the Tavern for a relaxing and enjoyable dinner experience.
The service was very good. We had a lovely waitress, Erin. We live in California and we are familiar with our local wines. We asked Erin for red wine suggestions. Her recommendation was
a Cabernet that was wonderful. We had the local fish ONO which was very delicious.
The Chef did not try to drown it in sauces. We had delicious desserts too! Would definitely
return and try other items on the menu!

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Glorified Bar Comfort Food”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I don't know what I was expecting, but this restaurant came highly recommended. I was suspicious seeing that the Tavern was on a golf course. There was no prominent entrance, but a side door at the bottom of the course entrance. Views were mainly of a few greens.

The Portions were large, but would have preferred that they were almost non existent . I ordered the Shrimp and Grits, Garden Greens Salad, Macadamia Nut Pesto Flat-bread, and the Rib Eye.

The Shrimp and Grits was a novelty food item I was inspired to try but there were only 2 shrimps, and the Bok Choy was my favorite part of this dish. It was a nice starter to get my pallet ready for the flat bread which I enjoyed. The pesto and crunchy ends made for an enjoyable flat-bread. Again portions were large and I could have done without the salad. The salad seemed unwashed and had a metallic taste. Salad portion were huge, topped with a fresh mozzarella and shredded Parmesan. As for the main course, my rib eye came drenched in a horseradish sauce, it also came cut up, a huge no no for me this was so bizzare. Not only was the sauce excessive, but the meat was ruined, by being sliced. I would have preferred light sauce or sauce on the side. Meat quality was mediocre, nothing like the homegrown grass fed rib eyes I buy from Whole Foods.

Maybe my best bet would have been sea food, but there is no excuse to serve food the way they did.

Children's menu was unhealthy and would not recommend going here with small kids. It consisted of fried chicken, beef short ribs, and noodles with butter.

Wine menu was standard and thoughtless. Cristalino, Fontsainte, Alta Maria, Babcock, Gunderlock, Armani for whites and ABC, Poppy, Lamadrid, Chono for reds.

Service was good but not that personal. There was nothing to write home about.

I would recommend passing this up, as I am sure there are other choices on the island.

• Visited July 2013
Thousand Oaks, California, USA
“Great view of the course and the sea beyond it!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We enjoyed the entire evening at the Tavern! The food was fantastic, something for everyone from Fired chicken to ahi poke. The fresh fish was delicious. Service was stellar and we were lucky enough to get a table at sunset! What a great view of it we had!

Visited July 2013
Bay Area, CA
“Ended up just having drinks, but service was terrible”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went to the Tavern for a couple drinks and some appetizers. Left after being ignored for most of the time. After waiting for 10-15 minutes (the place was NOT busy at all) the waitress came over and seemed annoyed by us and/or her life (you live in Kauai, how bad could it be???). She ignored us for about 20 minutes or so more (at least 10+ minutes with a dry glass) and eventually asked if we wanted food. Well, the appetizers were "fancy" (escargot anyone?) and although we found some items we would have liked we gave up due to the poor service and never looked back. Out of the 12-15 restaurants we visited on Kauai this trip, this is the only one that was anything less than great.

Visited June 2013