“amazing place and people”

Princeville Botanical Gardens - Tours
3-Hour Walking & Chocolate Tasting Tour
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Princeville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Princeville Botanical Gardens is a family owned and operated garden paradise located in the Princeville area on the magnificent north shore of Kauai. The Robertson Family, with the help of their close gardening friend, Michael, have transformed their 8-acre retirement home into a breathtaking garden with dramatic landscaping in two steep valleys. The Robertsons grow a small cacao (chocolate) grove and part of every tour is a chocolate tasting and lesson on how chocolate is made. Longer tours include samples of delicious tropical fruits. The fun, educational tours of the garden include ethnobotanical and medicinal uses of plants, stories and information about native Hawaiian and "canoe" plants, and much more about a diverse collection of species from around the world. RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Visitors can experience the garden on pre-scheduled tours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Tours are not recommended for children under 6 years. We strongly recommend good walking shoes. Please be sure to call us before visiting. Thank you!
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I was just there and I loved it. I learned so much! The garden is so beautiful and you get to sample the fruit from the fruit trees. I also got educated on herbs and plant's healing powers.

2  Thank Anabel B

Reviewed April 1, 2014

If you are fascinated by tropical gardening then this is the spot for you, great plants, scenic environment and very informative tour....

1  Thank JVFKauai
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The tour guide was well versed on Hawaiian Culture and the history of each plant and how it was and is used spiritually and medically. He was also very personable and funny. The fruit tasting was wonderful, in that as he was talking about a particular plant or fruit, out came an insulated bag with that fruit for us to taste. My wife loved the chocolate tasting and information or how cacao plants grow, how fruit flies pollinate the pods, how it's harvested on its way to becoming chocolate. We have been on other tours of this type, but this one is tops and very reasonable. The tour moves at the pace of the group and moves on when all questions have been asked and answered, no one pushing you along to kept a time frame.

3  Thank donscameron45
Jason R, Public Relations Manager at Princeville Botanical Gardens - Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We're honored that you chose to visit our gardens and then rank it among the best of its type. That means a lot coming from a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor. Perhaps we will see you again someday and you can witness how quickly our gardens grow and change! Mahalo nui loa.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

As I sit here writing this review, I am trying to not scratch a multitude of flea bites on my legs, too many to count. These are not mosquito or other bug bites, these are fleas, the kind that I am allergic to and develop small welts that itch and last for at least 3-4 weeks.

Yep, they did warn about bug bites, and had some organic bug spray at the registration desk which did very little good.

I can deal with a few mosquito bites. Massive quantities of fleas are something else.

Flea bites are different, since some people basically never notice them, and others like me attract fleas like magnets and then develop these long lasting allergic bite welts that can drive you insane.

I wish I had know that fleas were a problem with visiting this Botanical Garden. i would have loaded up on non-organic DEET and mega doses of B-vitamins, both of which I have proven to my own satisfaction work far better than the organic bug spray they offered for repelling fleas

Oh, and the tour? It was OK, since I love chocolate, the chocolate tastings were the most interesting.

2  Thank vrmgi
Jason R, Public Relations Manager at Princeville Botanical Gardens - Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are SO SORRY that you may have encountered fleas on our property. Lucy, one of the owners, is extremely sensitive to fleas, and we have a dozen regular employees who spend a lot of time in the gardens. None of these people have reported a problem with fleas, nor have any of the hundreds of guests who have passed through in the last month.

We take this matter very seriously and would appreciate more information so that we can work to solve the problem. If you have the time, please call and give us your phone number – the owners would like to speak with you about this further.

We do not offer DEET sprays to our guests, as many do not care for them and our tour guides are extremely sensitive to the chemicals in them. That said, visitors are more than welcome to bring their own insect repellants and we would encourage them to do so. Unfortunately, fleas are not an uncommon problem on the island. There are feral pigs, chickens, cats, and dogs everywhere on Kauai, so you could encounter fleas even at the beach. Anyone with a sensitivity to fleas should definitely be prepared wherever they go outdoors on Kauai.

In spite of the bug issue, thank you for your kind comments about our chocolate tasting. We hope the bites did not completely ruin your vacation.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

On our girls' day out while the men were fishing we enjoyed this amazing tour through the Princeville Botanical Gardens. My favorite part was learning how chocolate is made and being able to taste the different kinds. I also really enjoyed trying a couple of the fruits the gardens had to offer. I recommend this tour to anyone visiting the magical island of Kauai.

2  Thank ShannonH313