“Wow! Amazing Garden Adventure”

Princeville Botanical Gardens - Tours
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Princeville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Princeville Botanical Gardens is a family owned and operated garden paradise located in the Princeville area on the magnificent north shore of Kauai. The Robertson Family, with the help of their close gardening friend, Michael, have transformed their 8-acre retirement home into a breathtaking garden with dramatic landscaping in two steep valleys. The Robertsons grow a small cacao (chocolate) grove and part of every tour is a chocolate tasting and lesson on how chocolate is made. Longer tours include samples of delicious tropical fruits. The fun, educational tours of the garden include ethnobotanical and medicinal uses of plants, stories and information about native Hawaiian and "canoe" plants, and much more about a diverse collection of species from around the world. RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Visitors can experience the garden on pre-scheduled tours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Tours are not recommended for children under 6 years. We strongly recommend good walking shoes. Please be sure to call us before visiting. Thank you!
Sebastopol, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow! Amazing Garden Adventure”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This Princeville Gem is an extensive private garden, open to the public several days a week. My husband and I had a lovely time, seeing many varieties of plants, some of them amazing orchids - my favorite!

We tasted the many (cold) fruits and their own honey throughout the tour, and saw the cocoa plants on the property from which they produce their own chocolate. Some of the fruits were unusual varieties from the Owner's nearby organic farm - black sapote (I hope I am spelling this correctly!), as well as many other fruits I would otherwise have never have tried...

The tour ended with a chocolate tasting that was not only comprehensive, but amazingly tasty. The Owner and our tour guides were much involved in making this a meaningful and beautiful morning. We didn't want to leave!

One of our tour guides, Steven, said, "every tour returns with a bit of special magic of this lovely place". We agree! Thank you so much!

1 Thank HeatherC108

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The BEST botanical tour my family ever had!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was just a wonderful day my husband gave me for my Birthday. We arrived and were greeted by the owner of the property warmly. My daughter has special needs and the whole staff went out of their way to make sure she was included in every aspect of the tour. My twins were fascinated with the varity of fruit trees (and many fresh samples) this tour offered. We all tried fruits we have never heard of and were inspired to visit the local Farmers Markets after. I must have taken 200 photos and will go back to California inspired to make my own paradise. Steven (our tour guide) was one of the most knowledgeable and delightful people I have ever met, his genuion passion shines and we all left feeling inspired to try new food and take care of bodies. We have been to almost all the other botanical gardens on this island but honestly.... nothing comes even close. This garden would make even Adam and Eve drool.

1 Thank ShannonStier
Kapaa, Hawaii
“The Best Way to Spend a Morning on Kauai”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I live on Kauai and am always seeking interesting places, innovative ideas to share, and fascinating people to introduce our guests to so they see another side of Kauai beyond the usual attractions. Without a doubt the Princeville Botanical Gardens offers all of these possibilities rolled into a morning stroll around this fascinating landscape. A family dream and obsession of Bill Robertson, turned into a magical garden with exotics from around the world, developed under the guidance of a Master Gardner. Strolling along the meandering path, tasting the unimaginable and fruits from around the world cultivated in this sanctuary, learning of their origins and medicinal values, all under the exuberant guidance of the on site ethnobotanist named Holly. To top it all off, Bill's wife Lucy is the organic chocolatier, taking you from the cacao orchard to a palate arousing journey of the purest chocolates from around the world, with the finale being a taste of her own homemade "food of the gods". If you want to experience the real people, places and magic of Kauai, don't miss this special experience.

Visited April 2013
Jason R, Manager at Princeville Botanical Gardens - Tours, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our gardens! It's great to have feedback from locals, and we're honored that you direct your guests to us. We could use support from folks such as yourself as we apply for a renewal of our tour permit in the next few months. Would you mind if we use this review in our application? Hopefully someday we will have a "friends of the garden" program or some such that makes it easier for locals to visit our property more regularly.
Nelson, New Zealand
“All that and chocolate too!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited this property several years ago and Bill and Lucy, the owners, told me of their dream to create a botanical garden. I looked at the land and I thought, "ok, this will be interesting." The land was just the neglected, junglely land you see around the islands: impossible to access and rife with mosquitoes. Coming back to take the tour, I was astonished. The access to the land, the huge variety of terrain and plants, the beauty and scents and colors. I had a million questions that I didn't know I would even think of before I was on the tour: well answered by the guide (a very high energy gal with a PhD in ethno-botany). My favorites are the huge variety of palms that I have never seen before and the cacao grove (accompanied by an excellent and informative chocolate tasting that included an amazing chocolate produced on site from their own beans.) Also experienced: I tasted fruits that I never knew existed. I highly recommend the tour: a real bargain at the price. (I ended up making an unsolicited donation to the gardens.)

Madera, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“fantastic”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

a must see on the north shore. Personal and friendly tour of a wonderful garden that was built with care over many years. take advice and spray the bug repellent they offer for free. this was the best time we had and we did 7 gigs in 6 days. I will visit Mike every visit from now on!!!!!!!

1 Thank paul b