“Fascinating way to learn about the Garden Island”

Princeville Botanical Gardens - Tours
3-Hour Walking & Chocolate Tasting Tour
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Princeville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Princeville Botanical Gardens is a family owned and operated garden paradise located in the Princeville area on the magnificent north shore of Kauai. The Robertson Family, with the help of their close gardening friend, Michael, have transformed their 8-acre retirement home into a breathtaking garden with dramatic landscaping in two steep valleys. The Robertsons grow a small cacao (chocolate) grove and part of every tour is a chocolate tasting and lesson on how chocolate is made. Longer tours include samples of delicious tropical fruits. The fun, educational tours of the garden include ethnobotanical and medicinal uses of plants, stories and information about native Hawaiian and "canoe" plants, and much more about a diverse collection of species from around the world. RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Visitors can experience the garden on pre-scheduled tours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Tours are not recommended for children under 6 years. We strongly recommend good walking shoes. Please be sure to call us before visiting. Thank you!
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Such a beautiful place, obviously a labor of love by the family/owners - Bill, Lucy & Jason. Samples to taste along the route - fresh honey from their apiary; fruit from trees; paint our lips or body with seeds from the Achiote tree pods. And of course the chocolate tasting! Yum! Like a wine tasting but with chocolate - heaven! Holly, our guide, was excellent and very knowledgable. Tours are by appointment only so don't just show up, you will be disappointed. We will return each time we visit Kauai to see what has been added or changed... and to taste more exquisite chocolate. By the way... fee for the tour is very reasonably priced, also the chocolate to purchase at the end.

2  Thank RRBar

Reviewed November 1, 2012

A facinating educational experience for all your senses. The tourguides are just plain AWESOME! we had Holly, a PhD botanist, who not only knew her stuff, but had fun sharing her extensive knowledge of the myriad of plants in this stunning garden. There are frequent tastes and tests of the fruiting plants, the leaves and the seeds. The chocolate tasting is very educational and interesting. I loved this place so much I came back less than a year later, there's always something new in blooom or in fruit. Bring a well-charged camera, the whole place is a photographer's paradise.

2  Thank sjgiants
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I drove from the south side of the island to the garden during our honeymoon and this tour was worth it! It was so relaxed, open, and delicious (since we ate fruit or chocolate every ten minutes)! Steven was an excellent guide, and it was really nice to meet nice people that by the end of the tour you have bonded with. Such a unique tour and a great way to see the amazing diversity of plants on the island. I had hoped for more native plants but they do seem to be actively trying to increase the number of those which is great. One tip: Bring "real" mosquito repellent (not the natural stuff). I got eaten alive in a couple parts of the garden!
Thanks for a wonderful experience!

1  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Most of my photos from the island were taken here...as a Brit the whole place is a wonderland of delight. A real education in botany ! Holly enthused and never stopped ...a treasure of description ensued from a joyful and highly qualified tour guide. I was surprised to see any negative feedback at all. But then I suppose we all go to places with different expectations. I had none, because I am a novice.

1  Thank phutt
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Yesterday I enjoyed the tour led by Steven. He was a great teacher,allowing space for questions and comments to flow in and out. The gardens were truly lovely and magical. Around each bend was something stunning and new to behold. Along the way he shared the bounty of the gardens fruits. We had a fun and educational session on chocolate making, including tasting many varieties. I commend the owners for their love and restoration of the land. Blessing and kudos to all who work and volunteer their. You are doing important work. Don't let the $40 tour fee scare you. It is absolutely worth each penny and it all goes to the garden.