“Great Food, Service, and Views”
Review of Makana Terrace

Makana Terrace
Reserve with OpenTable
Makana Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Princeville
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Overlooking magical Hanalei Bay and Makana Mountain ( Bali Hai ), our main dining room is the perfect venue for sophisticated casual dining. Makana Terrace menu’s showcase the freshest Hawaiian grown produce flawlessly represented in the dishes prepared by Chef de Cuisine Antwon Brinson and his Culinary team. In addition we feature a vast selection Sushi, freshly prepared each evening by our skilled Sushi Chefs. Do not miss the Sunset from our outdoor seating overlooking Hanalei Bay! This will be one of the highlights of your Hawaiian journey...
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Service, and Views”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were a walk in, but the St. Regis had retained our information from 3 years ago. They were able to sit my wife and I right away and we had a great waiter with local knowledge. The food was very good and we were able to watch the sunset over Hanalei Bay. great experience.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank mayday6995

Kilauea, HI
“New Year's Resolution - Never eat here again!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Went there with my family to celebrate New Year's Eve dinner. We received a very nice table with a gorgeous view outside. Unfortunately it all went downhill from there.

First the buffet was pricey ($115 per adult with an advertised complimentary glass of champagne, or $35 per kid), so at that price point you would expect quality service and quality food. Both were seriously lacking.

The food:

- Steak medallions overcooked and flavorless.
- Lamb dry with no flavor.
- Ice Tea tasted very bad, nothing can really describe it but awful.
- Their mint lilikoi margarita tastes like a cheap mixed drink
- Fish was made with the cheapest of quality with more dark meat than white
- King Crab legs were all frozen.. literally still frozen.
- Desserts were cheaply made and were just about as good as what you get at CostCo
- For example their pot de creme tasted like Jello Brand chocolate pudding
- They advertised a Keiki buffet and playroom, but did not have it.

The service:

- When we asked for our champagne we were told that it wasn't included in the price.
- Staff was really pushing cocktails. When we told her we were not interested she no longer showed up at our table.
- Never offered tea or coffee for dessert.
- Our server was nice when she infrequently showed up, but clearly understaffed for the number of tables.
- Plates started to stack up that you had to move them to the nearby benches
- I felt sorry for the servers because we weren't the only table unhappy

The management:

- Met the manager, David and explained the problems with the food and the staff.
- He didn't see it as a problem and thought the food was great and that they were well staffed. He also said that the champagne wasn't included. I had to download and show him the their own web site that advertised it. He was completely unaware!
- David said that all the non-alcoholic drinks were included in the buffet. When I pointed out that we were charged for a kid's smoothie he quickly said that anything with real fruit was charged!
- Turns out David just recently took over management, and these refinements are part of his master plan into turning a beautiful place into a rinky-dink eatery.

My recommendation is that for the money you would do better going anywhere else until David or the restaurant improves!

Happy New Year!

6 Thank 70sKauaiBoy
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Breath taking views”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Words can't describe how beautiful the views are at this restaurant. It was a blissful dining experience. Service was flawless, food was really good had the tasting menu and the view was unbelievable. It's at the St Regis so expect it to be a very expensive dinner but it's worth it!

1 Thank I T
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Beware Holiday Dining”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Background - I've been coming to this resort for 30 years or so, always during the Christmas Holidays and beyond. I love this place ! It's got the second most beautiful view on earth (Tahiti & Fiji) can't compare. Plus you can drive a little further down the road and see the first most beautiful view on earth...The NaPali Wilderness area. I'm now retired, but I was a Systems Analyst for 35 years and that explains why I come to the Makana Terrace on Christmas or other holidays. Such a fertile ground for how not to do things. This hotel has changed ownership many times over the years, but that hasn't kept them from aggravating their customers year after year. They are seemingly unaware that problems occur when customer expectations are not met by service delivery. Every year their well-heeled clientele, shows up for a special holiday experience and every year they are greeted with a staggering array of problems. Basically, hotel management does not want to staff enough service personnel to deliver what the customers are looking for. So, you get very unhappy customers and very unhappy service folks who are the the undeserving butt of the customers rage (and I do mean rage).What I don't think that the hotel management understands is that several of their clients, from their best demographics, leave the restaurant, leave the hotel and according do several I've talked to, never return. They would do better to close the restaurants. Last year, I really thought that St. Regis had figured it out, they had a glorious Christmas brunch, for $100 a head and it was worth it. Unfortunately, this year, they were back to the same dysfunctional mess. They fail in every area you could possibly fail in, which is why I keep coming back, Its like watching a train wreck, you can't pull your eyes away. This year it started before we even arrived, the folks on the phones told us we didn't need reservations, we could just show up. That would have been a rookie mistake, because I know it will be packed, so we made a reservation. This is a key train wreck ingredient, don't communicate with your staff about what you are going to do. When we arrive we were seated right away in doors. This is very important, don't go outdoors if it is lunch time, it is too hot and you will roast, but people will wait for hours to get the view, that they can get indoors behind the air conditioned glass. This is another key train wreck ingredient, make sure your customers are really pissed off before they even get seated, it will enhance the experience of the service people. We had two of the poor dears start crying and evidently another quit during our 2 hour experience. If you can get your food order in right away, you can have a chance of getting some food in less than an hour. Otherwise forget it, the food comes out of the kitchen with the frequency of Halley's Comet. Once the food reaches you it is usually (but not always) quite good. It's a real shame that the hotel management folks can't seem to step up and do what is right for their employess and their clients. Me, I'll be there next year looking for another train wreck. If you go, get their early, sit indoors and pray.

1 Thank Larry S
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Very nice and expensive!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The food was very tasty - not huge portions and my husband's 3 drinks (double Crowns and coke) cost $60!! But I did see Bethany Hamilton; so that made up for the cost! ;p

Visited December 2013