“Food was wonderful, ambiance is lacking”
Review of Kauai Grill

Kauai Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kauai Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Princeville
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, American, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kauai Grill is a comfortable yet elegant hideaway with sweeping views of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai. The seasonal menu is composed of a wide selection of hand-crafted dishes created from flavors found here on the Garden Island of Kauai with the highest quality of meats and freshest local fish available. Simply grilled preparations accompanied by bold condiments anchor the Kauai Grill experience at The St. Regis Resort Princeville.
Warren, New Jersey
“Food was wonderful, ambiance is lacking”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

First time back to Princeville since the change from Sheraton to the St Regis. Heard go things about Kauai Grill so we planned a dinner during our stay. The food was well prepared and creative from our experience. We had salmon sashimi as a starter which was excellent. Nice salmon, fun crispy rice cake and chipotle emulsion instead of wasabi. Very tasty. We ordered short ribs, filet and peppercorn crusted ahi. All were delicious and prepared correctly. Also ordered a side of mashed potatoes and ginger rice. Again, very well done.
The down side of dinner was the dining room itself. It was noisy and strangely lit with fluorescent lights which made it feel like a diner. Paper placemats on the tables contributed to the diner feel. Tablecloths would help to improve the appearance.
Service was friendly but not as polished as it could have been. Our server seemed to get lost from time to time.
Overall a great place to have excellent food if you don't mind the odd decor.

Visited March 2014

Miami Beach, Florida
“Also disappointed.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I am staying at the St. Regis and took my mother and sister out for dinner. I had the filet mignon (very dry-but I figured if I complained they would come up with some convoluted reason that I had not had dry aged beef or something like that.)

The bill was $250.00 Everyone had water, one appetizer, 4 entrees (a la carte everything) and no desert. For my money, go somewhere else unless you have no choices (a late flight from HNL or something.) Way overpriced, C+ to B- food, and rather strange service.

Oh, Brunch is $60 at the hotel, and if you are on a bed and breakfest package they will give you a $58 credit (enought for one) if you miss Sunday breakfest that is included for 2). That is Manhattan prices. Very disappointed overall.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank RSR40
Santa Clarita
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I made a reservation at Kauai Grill because we thought that it would be our one nice dinner out while we were here on vacation. Unfortunately, we did not have the experience we were hoping for. The hotel is so beautiful, large open foyer with light colors and fountains. There are high ceilings and flower arrangements of orchids. Then you walk into a dungeon....The Kauai Grill.
The ceiling is a very low, with a horrible fluorescent light fixture that expands the entire ceiling. The light that it gives forth makes even the most beautiful Hawaiian tan appear green and all wrinkles are on display like in a dressing room you can't wait to get out of. The furniture is dark, I think it is supposed to be reminiscent of Art Deco style but I didn't care for the look. I read another review that remarked on the views and the sunset, we arrived after sunset so I cannot comment on the view.
The food: we tried to order lobster, but they were sold out, also they were out of the asparagus side. I ordered local fish, a Hawaiian sea bass, according to the waitress, and my husband ordered Mahi Mahi. I will say that my fish was good, the sauce was a little salty for my taste but I'm not sure if that was because of added salt or a product of the reduction. My fish was also slightly undercooked for me, but I believe that it was cooked correctly for the type of fish it was.
My husband remarked that his dish was good but lacked texture. I would have to agree, his fish was soft and served in a broth that had cooked tomatoes and potatoes. The portions were very small and the sides were separate, so the overall price for the meal was quite high.
I think if you do go to this restaurant, go early so that you can enjoy the view and sunset. Request a seat by the windows. Perhaps the early reservation will insure that the food you order is not "out" and be prepared to pay. Most likely, if you have appetizer, wine, 2 meals, a side and a dessert, expect to pay $250.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank DominiqueHen
Denver, Colorado
“Oh my love! Love. LOVE.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We got to eat there on two different vacation this year. Both times, the service, sauces, delights kept us there for hours. We savored each perfectly plated morsel like we had been starving. You can not go wrong with picking this venue for even the most special occasion.

Our last visit was our honeymoon. We are major foodies traveling around trying james beard winners and this place just ROCKS YOUR SOCKS.

i should have written closer to the night we ate, because we both loved every single bite.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank lkilley
California
“Not worth the prices”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Let's start with the positives...decor is contemporary and beautiful, view is amazing (unless clouds roll in and you have zero view), try to be there for sunset (gorgeous), staff is friendly -not stuffy. Negatives...all negatives are based on pricing that the restaurant is asking and what we feel should come with that...service was lacking, food forgettable. The parsnip soup was the highlight of our meal. My husband had the mahi ($42) and commented he was left wanting more flavor. I had the lobster ($59) and it was fine, not something that stands out. Wine list is decent. Sides are additional and uninteresting. Overall, would have gotten a better review if they charged much less...but expectations on service, food, and experience were much higher given the price points. If you're staying at the St Regis and would like to stay in-house for dinner, go to Makana Terrace, the bar, or stay in and order room service.

Visited March 2014