“Older property but quiet and comfortable.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Makai Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Princeville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern California
“Older property but quiet and comfortable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

I'll agree that the units are a bit dated but are well kept as are the grounds. I stayed here with my mom and auntie (who traveled all the way from Tokyo) and we all felt this was a very comfortable and convenient location. There is a full grocery store located nearby so we used the kitchen for most breakfasts and a couple of dinners, which is helpful in keeping the cost of a vacation down. I liked being at the north end of the island...we visited Hanalei several times but most days drove back to Lihue, Poipu, etc. It really wasn't that long of a drive at all and we got to see and do almost everything in that week. Unfortunately we ran out of daylight on our last full day there and couldn't get up to Waimea Canyon. Something to look forward to if I can ever get back to Kauai again!

We received the week stay as a gift from a friend who has a timeshare and exchanged for Hawaii 11/27-12/4. I thought about attending a presentation but didn't. Thankfully they didn't hound us to do so, which is unusual. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are beautiful feral cats that live there - even though you're not supposed to feed them I still did. I hope that the property will consider doing a trap, spay/neuter, and release so that everyone can enjoy the little critters (the Kauai Humane Society runs a free-of-charge program for feral colonies.) I thought the cats were just delightful along with the chickens (don't worry, the roosters crowing in the morning is usually in the distance and actually very soothing!)

Pool is small but with beaches everywhere I don't think you'll be needing it. I think they are in the process of revamping the golf course there since we saw what we thought might have been the clubhouse being torn down throughout the week.

I don't like to travel with a laptop but like to keep on top of e-mail on vacation. There are two computers for use 24/7 at the main clubhouse up the road where you check in. No problem!

All in all, I would stay at the Makai in the future. In fact, I'm trying to find a way to purchase a week for next year so we can do it all over again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Katwiskrs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Novato, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

I have to agree with another reviewer's description of this accommodation as 'shabby chic'. I am an RCI member and I was looking for a 2 bedroom unit somewhere in Hawaii. Since this was my first trip to the islands, location didn't matter much. The Makai Club Cottages were all that was available for 2 bedrooms in the Fall.

The Good:
-The unit is very spacious with 2 full bedrooms (including King-sized beds) and full bathrooms in each.
-The kitchen is fully equipped. All you need to supply is the food. The water is very drinkable and the fridge has an ice maker.
-Our unit had a deck overlooking the golf course and we enjoyed relaxing there a lot.
-The pool was small, but clean and includes 2 gas grills for your use. We used these twice and enjoyed dinner and an evening swim.
-The location is really good. You need a car in Kauai, but the Makai is close to Princeville, Kilauea, Hanalei Bay as well as a scad of great sandy beaches with good snorkeling and picturesque settings. In my opinion, the north island area can't be beat!
-We were traveling with an infant and they had our crib all set up when we arrived.

The not so good:
-The unit is definitely dated. The cottage could use some paint and new carpets (lots of fraying fibers). The linoleum in the bathrooms and kitchen look a little old and are starting to peel.
-There were dirty dishes in the cupboards. Not a huge deal, but a little annoying as we had to rewash everything.
-There is no air conditioning. Again, not a huge deal if you remember to turn the fans on before you go out during the day.

The ugly:
-I don't care what they offer you, avoid the timeshare presentation. My parents-in-law wen to this so we could get some discounts on tours. They were very poorly and rudely treated by the timeshare staff when they refused to buy. No one has the right to treat people like this and frankly the resort isn't worth it. If they invested the money in refurbishing the Makai instead of building new resorts, this would be a better use of funds in my opinion.

Shabby chic is a good description. In a humid tropical environment like Hawaii, it can be very difficult to keep dampness and insects completely out. it goes with the territory, but then so does fresh air, beaches, and the most amazing sunsets you will ever see. In spite of some needed renos, I would stay here again. It was good value for my RCI points.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Devo1975
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

We were in the only unit that is considered a handicapped unit. We were able to enter the unit by use of a sidewalk and come in through the back door. All other units have steps. The bathroom is not truly a handicapped bathroom. There is room for a wheelchair but there is only a tub. Someone who must have a roll in shower would be out of luck. I was able to sit on the edge of the tub and a hand held shower would have been nice. The unit was very clean and nicely furnished. The kitchen, though small, was fully equipped. Hawaiian condo kitchens are normally small so this was no surprise. As for the roosters, they are everywhere on the island and there is nothing that any resort can do about them. We were close to Hannelei Bay and supermarkets were near by. It is an hour from the airport. If people can book a flight to arrive while it is still daylight, it would be beneficial because it is a little difficult to find. It was an extremely good value and I would recommend it. I also lunderstand that they are undergoing a major renovation within a year.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GatorGail
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

We've been to Makai Club Cottages two years in a row at Christmas. It is not fancy, furnishings are a bit dated, but the cottages are large and comfy. Kind of a classic cottage feel.

We stay in a 2-bedroom cottage. It has 2 master suites, both with large master baths with separate dressing areas, lots of closet space and good-size bedrooms. The King-size beds are very comfortable.

The kitchen is small, but functional. I'm on vacation and don't cook a lot. Breakfast mostly.

There is a decent sized dining room.

The family room/TV room is quite large and the furniture here is very comfortable. So comfy we usually end up napping on it. There is a good-size lanai off the family room that faces the golf course.

The pool is a bit small, but we never used it. We come to Hawaii for the beaches not the pool. I think there is a hot tub here too (I've heard).

You can rent beach chairs from the office (I think it was about $5/wk). They were also helpful in booking tours on our first visit, but we handled our own on our second trip.

On rainy days (and there are some on this side of the island) we sometimes drive over to Poipu. But there are lots of other things to do. And if it's raining, wait a few minutes --- it's likely to stop.

I'll admit upon first seeing the place, I was suprised. It seemed a bit shabby and dated, but it grows on you. It has a quiet charm. I like it better than the huge condo complexes. We've stayed at those. They are noisy and not relaxing. Here it is so quiet you can open the shutters during the rain and listen to the breeze rustle through the palms as the sunshine peaks in between clouds. Pure bliss. Heavenly Kauai.

Aloha.

10 Thank LuReeBa
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

Aloha:
We attempted to check in on June 12th at 2pm in the afternoon, but was to find something to do until 4pm, which I understand as their standard check in time, however, when we arrived at 3pm to "pre-register" several other guests were in the process of checking in with no problem. This was rather frustrating since we were told no rooms are ever ready before 4pm. Either way, we were given our 2 rooms in separate buildings, but the sweet gal at the front desk decided to move our rooms to be in the same building. We got to our rooms 801 & 802 and were a bit shocked at the lack of maintenance done to the buildings. The rooms were in need of serious repairs (door to lanai wouldn't lock, dishwasher only worked in you held the door closed, the carpet and furniture seemed to be at least 25 years old & dirty, etc). I even found a safety pin (open) on the bedroom carpet. (I didn't even feel comfortable taking off my shoes). When my crib arrived, I was astonished that such an item would be in use. The crib was broken and filthy, so lucky us, our daughter slept in our bed the entire week. The room on the 1st floor (which we nicknamed the basement) was crawling with spiders and we even found a centipede. I had to keep reminding myself that I was happy to be in Kauai, aside from the filth of the condos. The pool was quite disappointing, the jacuzzi could only fit 3 people at a time. It wasn't until day 4 that we were told we could use the other pools associated with Wyndham.
The great part about staying at the Makai Club was the beautiful walking paths and close proximity to Hanalei Bay (my favorite beach). Staying in the Princeville area is very peaceful and relaxing, however, I would not stay at the Makai Club, you'd be better off somewhere else. I would have rather not traded my 2 weeks of timeshare rental from Cabo San Lucas for these units, next time I will rent a decent hotel room.
Mahalo

9 Thank pestlie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,673 reviews
St. Regis Princeville Resort

Been to Makai Club? Share your experiences!