I'll agree that the units are a bit dated but are well kept as are the grounds. I stayed here with my mom and auntie (who traveled all the way from Tokyo) and we all felt this was a very comfortable and convenient location. There is a full grocery store located nearby so we used the kitchen for most breakfasts and a couple of dinners, which is helpful in keeping the cost of a vacation down. I liked being at the north end of the island...we visited Hanalei several times but most days drove back to Lihue, Poipu, etc. It really wasn't that long of a drive at all and we got to see and do almost everything in that week. Unfortunately we ran out of daylight on our last full day there and couldn't get up to Waimea Canyon. Something to look forward to if I can ever get back to Kauai again!
We received the week stay as a gift from a friend who has a timeshare and exchanged for Hawaii 11/27-12/4. I thought about attending a presentation but didn't. Thankfully they didn't hound us to do so, which is unusual. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are beautiful feral cats that live there - even though you're not supposed to feed them I still did. I hope that the property will consider doing a trap, spay/neuter, and release so that everyone can enjoy the little critters (the Kauai Humane Society runs a free-of-charge program for feral colonies.) I thought the cats were just delightful along with the chickens (don't worry, the roosters crowing in the morning is usually in the distance and actually very soothing!)
Pool is small but with beaches everywhere I don't think you'll be needing it. I think they are in the process of revamping the golf course there since we saw what we thought might have been the clubhouse being torn down throughout the week.
I don't like to travel with a laptop but like to keep on top of e-mail on vacation. There are two computers for use 24/7 at the main clubhouse up the road where you check in. No problem!
All in all, I would stay at the Makai in the future. In fact, I'm trying to find a way to purchase a week for next year so we can do it all over again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makai Club Resort is the perfect setting for both a cozy romantic getaway or a relaxing golf vacation. Located on a beautiful tropical hillside, alongside the championship Makai Golf Course, the Makai Club is truly the perfect place to begin your Hawaiian island adventure.Nicknamed the “Garden Isle,” Kauai is often said to be the most beautiful Hawaiian Island. There is certainly something to be said about Kauai’s North Shore, which is home to incredible sunsets, rich tropical foliage, and the breathtaking expanse of the Pacific Ocean stretching out to the horizon. The Makai Club resort welcomes you to experience with us the natural beauty and adventure that we have enjoyed for so long on the island of Kauai. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Makai Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Makai Club Hotel Princeville
- Makai Club Princeville, Kauai