“Cottages Infested with Roaches”
Review of Makai Club Resort

Makai Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Princeville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This property, while recently remodeled, has an insect problem and a management staff that does not care. While vacationing in Hawaii in August, my family had to endure repeated encounters with roaches. We were told that roaches are common in Hawaii and that 8 a day is not uncommon. The maintenance staff were called multiple times but did not respond to the requests. I have stayed in Hawaii multiple times and I have never encountered this problem at any other Hawaiian resorts.

The resort itself is nice and the units are quite large. It is a shame the management staff could not have been more responsive. They seemed indifferent to the situation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joseph S
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Makai Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi Joseph,

We are sorry about the encounter you had in your unit. We appreciate you taking the time to provide honest feedback about these issues. We will do our best to make sure this is addressed for any future stays. It is great to hear you enjoyed the resort itself and the size of the units. We hope you continue to visit our Hawaii locations.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked a 21 day trip to Hawaii. This was my last week. Thankfully. The grounds were beautiful. As was the fountain when you entered Princeville. Peacocks and Rooster woke me in the morning as they wandered freely. The Cottages are dated and dirty. Musty and odiferous. Burn marks in the carpet from an iron. Stains on the comforters (I don't even want to know from what!) and torn screens in sliding glass door which meant that we were not able to sleep with the glass open because the bugs had access. Little white lizards running around on the ceiling while we were laying in bed.....DID NOT LIKE.......even though we were told by management that they were harmless. Kauai was beautiful but this place detracted from our stay. Silver crown? Maybe in 1982. Will try Kauai again in another place.

Room Tip: I heard they had a "new section" but we were told there was no availability! Good Luck.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cerveza930
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Makai Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you felt your unit was outdated. We also apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced in your unit. We hope to use this information to improve future vacation stays at our property.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

To be clear, there are the two bedroom cottages which I was a resident at and there are the condos that are reviewed on this property too .I stayed for a week during the recent tropical storm providing us with a little extra rain and wind towards the latter part of my week long stay. I had called ahead of my arrival and requested a couple of specific cottages out and away from the pool area after reading the reviews here on TA. Turns out any of the outlying cottages would be just as nice as the unit (302) that I had. Our unit was on the golf course, exposed to the breeze all day long, but was still very hot during my stay. There is no a/c or the review would have been a five-star rating. These units are not your typical condos, rather they are one level apartments separate from one another with 5 exits to go out. They are very lovely units with furnishings you might expect anywhere in Hawaii. They included 3 large and new HD TVs, wifi with nice coverage except on the lanai and a nice kitchen nicely appointed except for a large cooking pot. But upon request, one was delivered to us with 5 minutes of the call to the desk-which by the way is at another location. But communication is good between the two locales. My only concern was our first evening there, we were totally shocked to see out of the corner of my eye, the largest cockroach I had ever seen. It was nearly the size of the sample lotion or shampoo bottles that are stocked in each cottage. Over the course of the next three hours I killed 9 more of them running around the unit, but nearly all in the bathrooms. I called to ask what was to be done about them, was informed that during the time of great rain, they make their appearance. I was given a can of spray for them. I applied the spray along the baseboards and over the top of the master shower that coincidentally, I noticed a huge hole in the drywall when standing on a chair. The spray kept them at bay for one full day and then made their reappearance the day after. While I am assuming everyone has this problem, it was still a bit disconcerting to have them staying without sharing the cost of the unit with us.
The master shower is large enough for two people to be in and have their own private shower head which was a nice feature, but it would be wise to shower one at a time as the water pressure of the unit is not too great to have more than one item turned on at a time. I would absolutely recommend this property with the reservation of if you are travelling with someone who might be a bit squeamish of rather large bugs, then you probably should look elsewhere for your stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Haneleij
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was surprised to see so many bad reviews on this place. My expectations were very low prior to my arrival. We stayed for one week in unit 704, which is a 3rd level corner unit. It was very clean and quiet. I have great views of the mountains and waterfalls. I could even se a nice sunset over Bali Hai from the kitchen area. The unit appeared remodeled and the kitchen was fully stocked. We even used the communal Weber grill one night. The pool was never crowded and my daughter enjoyed it very much. The bed was very comfortable, the sofa bed not so much, but that is to be expected. The AC worked great. Less than a mile to Foodland and Lapert's ice cream. The food in Foodland is expensive, but not unreasonable. The deli has great food, sandwiches and sushi. The teriyaki beef that we bought and grilled was delicious and inexpensive. They even sell steamed rice to go with it. I can truly say that my week there was very enjoyable and would love to return in the near future. If you are there on a Sunday, make sure you treat yourself to the Sunday brunch at the St. Regis. It is 60.00 per adult and 30.00 per child under 12, but the food and view were worth it. You can always go the St. Regis and just hang out for the views. The valet parking is complementary.
Make sure you make some time to hang out at Anini Beach, especially if you have small children. The farther you drive down the road, the quieter it is.

We also enjoyed Dinner at Kauai Grill.

Room Tip: I always ask for top floor to avoid hearing people above me. Unit 704 was very isolated and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank earexpert
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have to stay we did not plan this stay, my friend and got stranded in prinville after the bridge to hanalei got closed for flooding so looked for a place late in the night. We were extremely well received, we were given a studio but found out the old fashion way that someone was alreay sleeping in there, back to reception we got an uograde for free! So the room was ok...small, old looking style and the blankets not that great, but it was clean, had a great shower and great spa tub. What ma the stay that great was the service, all the staff were trying so hard to help us, gave us all the help we neede, thumb up

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank globetroteuse2010
Reviewed March 25, 2013

stayed on the third floor in a one bedroom unit in the back of the property.unit was decent sized for two people.unit had a musty smell to it and could have used some fresh paint and upgrades.the lanai was in bad shape,doors showed abuse and looked as if someone tried to break in.two microwaves in the kitchen although one didnt work.lots of hens and roosters running around making noise but thats part of the kauai experience,gotta love um.the pool area is very small but pretty clean.the grounds are just soso. the girls at the front desk are another story,at check in they were very kind and helpful.they asked us to go to an owners meeting,i asked if this was a timeshare sales ploy or a weeks to points ploy and was told no.i asked 2 other girls at different times the same question and was told no again.guess what? its a timeshare sales ploy and a hard sell weeks to point ploy. don`t fall for this,stay away when asked and don`t fall for the bribe gifts they may offer.if the points system were as good as they say you would`nt need to be bribed to join it.as far as buying,you can save more then half of what they charge by doing your homework and buying from a private seller.believe me,im proof of this.besides why would you wanna give up your valuable time talking to someone who is nothing more then a used car salesman.enjoy your vacation and let these con artist find a new scam.

Room Tip: make sure you get a third floor room if staying in a one bedroom unit
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank skippyjonjones2008
Reviewed March 25, 2013

These condos and cottages are well appointed,and they are a good base to stay in the Princeville area.The condo and the grounds were clean,and the our one bedroom unit was comfortable. This is a small group of condos and cottages grouped together. There are some shortcomings: pool and no tub are quite small,the club house has enough room for the receptionist desks,but really nothing else. There is no fitness area, and Lei O Papa Road is busy and noisy during the day(thankfully the gate is closed at night.) Equipment is average: our gas stove had exactly 1 1/2 burners that functioned. A non stick pan was so scratched and beaten up that it was no longer useable. (Housekeeping replaced it with something gently used.) Despite a promise from the concierge "it will be fixed before tonight"there was no action to repair the stove.
If you are willing to put up with some imperfections, this place makes a good base to explore Kauai.

Room Tip: Ask for a location well away from Lei O Papa Road
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CharlotteKelowna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Makai Club Resort? Share your experiences!