“Exotic Tacos, Convenient Location”

Federico's Fresh Mex Cuisine
Ranked #12 of 25 Restaurants in Princeville
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Princeville, Hawaii
“Exotic Tacos, Convenient Location”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband & I have eaten at Frederico's in the Princeville food court on numerous occasions during our 2-month stay in Princeville. While at first glance the fast food joint is nothing to look at, inside or out, the food MORE than compensates for that humble ambiance.

We have only eaten lunch here, and for the life of me, I can't even break my habit out of the soft taco category! I know I'm missing some delicious options (tostadas, burritos, etc.,) but with several exotic soft tacos to choose from, that's what I end up ordering!

The counter area is very small, so be prepared to get squeezed at lunch time! I wish there was some other layout that would work, but the salsas and condiments are on the left as you enter, the counter on the right, and about 5 square feet separating the two!

Even so, I have been VERY happy with the delicious soft tacos I've tried here, which I get on a corn tortilla: grilled tofu and mushroom is perfect for vegans; garlic herb shrimp is excellent, and the carnitas divine! I also enjoyed the marinated pork tacos - I have yet to try the other selections, but would bet my last peso they would also be delicious! I was so impressed with the lunch I had the other day that I asked the gal ringing up the orders (and delivering them to the tables outside) to please tell the chefs, "Job well done! Delicious!"

The meat tacos are moist and succulent with juice! The shrimp taco is never overcooked or rubbery. The vegan taco absolutely satisfying. These entrees include rice and beans on the combo plate, and you will not leave the table unsatiated!

The price is reasonable for Kauai, too. Usually, the service is prompt and friendly, but we did have ONE experience where a different gal at the cash register was actually surly and seemed to take great delight in delaying our order. Yikes! On all other occasions, a different gal was at the cash register who was VERY helpful, friendly and hard-working.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank 1TahoeQueen

• Polish first
Madison, Alabama
“Tacos galore.....”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It's located in a small food court behind a larger restaurant in a shopping center in Princeville. Eating options are eating in the outdoor court or taking it back to your room. We chose outdoor...was very pleasant. A local musician provided the atmosphere. Very nice. I ordered a shrimp taco & a fish taco. Both were very tasty...not the best I've ever had but everyone is looking for something different. My husband had a chicken burrito. It was very large & he chose to use a lot of salsa on it to provide more taste. Both entrees came with chips which were good. There were ample condiments inside for you to chose from & get your own. We were concerned because another reviewer mentioned that his receipt was an issue & he was over charged when he received his CC bill. Not a problem. We had to ask for a receipt but think that's just the way they do it. Server seemed almost bored. Don't come with very high expectations.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Nancy w
York Beach, Maine
“Great Mexican Food...But...”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great food...but I don't like the idea that there is not a friendly face in the tiny establishment! Food is wonderful for "take out" and check your cc check.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank DRH0PS
Austin, Texas
“Good quality and great value.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We are Texans and have high expectations for Mexican.

This was unexpectedly good. Very good.

Even better--the cost is moderate and the portions large on an expensive island.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank JPax
Kilauea, Hawaii
“save your receipt”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I live on Kauai and have eaten here quite a few times, however a few months ago I got a burrito and the price I paid at the counter, inculding tip with my cc and the price that was on my cc statement were a few dollars more. But I just ignored it as a small error on thier behalf. However I was just there recently again and just ordered a side of beans for $2.50 and my cc statment shows a charge for $5.60. I did not get a receipt and perhaps that is when they see an opportunity to add in a few more dollars. Overall food is good but staff is sneaky! I will not be eating here again as I feel ripped off by having this happen twice to me.

• Visited January 2013