“Good food, Kauai service”

Nanea Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Nanea Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 25 Restaurants in Princeville
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ka Haku Road
Description: Welcome to Nanea Restaurant and Bar our focus on unique, fresh, local ingredients allows us to create dishes inspired by Hawaiian, Asian and Modern American cusines. Join us for a relaxing evening at Nanea!
North Carolina
“Good food, Kauai service”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at the Westin, and nanea turned out to be a good place to go when we tired but still wanted a good dinner. Salmon was prepared perfectly so I ordered it both times! My husband had a ribeye that had a bit too much marbleizing and some tender short ribs. Service is a bit slow here compared to the rest of the world but on par for Kauai. We got reservations for both dinners, but the inside was not full. The outside fills up quickly as most people want to dine al fresco. Since we don't like getting bit by mosquitoes, inside was perfect for us.

• Visited May 2013

Austin, Texas
“5 Course Tasting Menu”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

After seven trips to Kauai, my husband and I are always looking for new places to try. I read about Nanea's tasting menu online ($55.00) with complimentary wine selections ($20.00) and we decided to give it a try.

The Westin is a lovely resort and we requested outdoor seating for the evening. The patio is covered and overlooks the pool area which is torch lit in the evening. There was also an ukelele singer and hula dancer entertaining inside and out -- but mostly chatting up customers with an occasional hula lesson thrown in.

To keep writing to a minimum, the courses went something like this: ceasar salad, mushroom risotto, fresh catch of the day, filet of beef and chocolate mac nut brownie with ice cream. I found each course to be delicious but absolutely too much food. By my final two courses, I was pretty much stuffed and miserable. I know, shame on me for overdoing the other courses (which I didn't finish!). My husband, who has a less adventurous palate, was less happy with a few combinations.

My biggest disappointment was the wine selections. With the exception of the first course, all other wines were reds. This surprised me since I would have assumed the risotto and fish selections would have been white. Neither my husband nor I really cared for any of the wines served (a surprise to us both) and would have been better off choosing our own bottle for the meal.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the lackadaisical service. Though we had reservations and were seated promptly, it took a good ten minutes for our waiter to show up. Even after placing orders, she could be very hard to find if you needed anything and it took another 15 to 20 minutes to work through our check because she was never around.

Overall, the dinner was lovely but I advise you to relax and be prepared to wait. We certainly weren't in a hurry but bad service cost us about 30 minutes. I would also recommend moderation during each course and choosing your own wine. It was one of our most expensive dinners on the island but definitely not the best dinner we had while on vacation.

• Visited May 2013
Boise, Idaho
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The 5 course paired with wine was delicious. It was really great service and a wonderful atmosphere.

Visited May 2013
Princeville, Hawaii
“Always a good meal with very predictable service”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

As a "permanent" resident of Kauai (see lampoon of all of us on South Park episode dedicated to Kauai) , my wife and I have had the opportunity to eat at many of the restaurants on the island over the last 8 years. One of our favorites remains Nanea at the Weston in Princeville. The food is always fresh and professionally prepared. Very nice presentation. Service is remarkably good -- always. Food is always pricey on the islands at the areas frequented by tourists --just a byproduct of the primary industry (tourism) here. Go and enjoy a nice meal !!!
Prices at the Weston are in line with an upscale restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank robfd
“Nanea dinner”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had dinner at the property restaurant one night because we did not want to be driving after having coctails and wine with dinner. Both our meals were good but not great. You definatly pay resort hotel prices. Our tab including tip was just under $300.

Visited May 2013