“The worst of worst”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
california
“The worst of worst”
Reviewed October 7, 2006

Recently atayed there and I can't get over how awful it was. The only thing the place has going for it..is its location. The rooms were dirty, the air conditioners ( wall ) were so filthy that I couldn't even turn it on for the fear of an allery attack! When you want to use the beach ( and who doesn't when you are in Hawaii) you have to rent a chair $3.00 a day and free towels ( but, gee they never have any!) The only people that were friendly there were the bartenders!

6 Thank eescott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
San Deigo
Reviewed September 29, 2006

After leaving the elegant resort of Hapuna Beach hotel on the big Island, nothing seemed to compare. My standards had changed and rightly so. If I am spending my hard earned money, I don't expect to stand around for 20 minutes in the rain to get a bell hop. Guest were waiting for more then a half an hour.
It seems their golf carts that take you to your room were "all" broken. So we had to wait around for two young locals to throw our luggage in a van and drive us down a hill to our room. These two guys were the only ones helping and they were in no hurry. You would think the hotel would hire a sufficient amount of help. Thank goodness this was only for one night.
If you are expecting a hotel room with nice amenities, housekeeping and room service, forget it. It was a older condo, with a kitchen. Which I guess is ok for a long stay, if your willing to carry your groceries up and down the hills, you can't drive to the front of your room. I have been to resorts on hills, and the hotels provide a shuttle service around the grounds, not here.
The one ant in the bed was just as good as a thousand, I could not sleep. There was no air conditioning in the bedroom, only the living room which was an old rusty monster.
The balcony had a beautiful view, if housekeeping swept up the bird food seeds, maybe it would not be covered in bird droppings. We could not sit outside for our morning coffee, since the birds kept walking around us looking for more food., the ants were busy with the old seeds. So I tried to look at the bright side, the view on Hanalei bay. The straw that broke my back was when I could not flush the toilet bowel. I had to stick my hand in the tank to get it to flush. After feeling so special at Hapuna, I lost it. was so fed up with all of this I called the managers office at 7:00 am and left a voice mail.
We packed up in 10 minutes and when my husband checked out there was a $50.00 credit. I guess management knows of the problems and don't care, since this is probably the most reasonable priced hotel in Princeville. My suggestions is stay somewhere else, then drive to Hanalei for the sunset.
The Princeville resort is so over the top, that it does nothing for this beautiful island and the true Hawaiian experience.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The ants, broken toilet, bird droppings on the balcony
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay someplace else
2 Thank TravelAgentMarianne
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I have always loved Kauai but my recent stay in Unit 4222 at the Hanalei Bay Resort really proved to me what paradise should be like. The Bettencourt's condo is the epitome of good taste and sheer comfort. We had such a great time lounging on the Lanai morning and night (the sunsets were spectacular), and even a little rain didn't discourage us.

We were very comfortable in our home away from home. Joan's decorating taste is exquisite and the couches not only looked great but were very comfortable too. Felt like every part of the condo was beckoning to us to just relax and enjoy. While we only used the 1 bedroom condo, there is an adjoining "lock-off" (unit 4221) that serves as a 2nd bedroom or separate hotel room and the furnishings are just as comfortable in there. The kitchen is well appointed and has just about any gadget you could wish for, although we did enjoy the Bali Hai restaurant on occasion and just had to visit the Happy Talk lounge. Can't be expected to cook every night on vacation!

My stay was from September 2 - 9 and I have already booked for next year. Have to say that part of the experience was the wonderful contact with Joan (owner) over the months prior to our vacation, and the great visit before we left the island. Yes, they love to vacation in their little piece of paradise too!

4 Thank yovdo
New York City
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Wonderful condo with plenty of space. The views of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hi are really perfect. We saw a rainbow from the lanai on the 2nd morning we were there - what a sight. Would recommend this condo to friends and family in a snap!

• Liked — The view & location
5 Thank JoeNewYorker
florida
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Hanalei Bay Resort was in a wonderful location. It was quite and peaceful, and the views were incredible. The condo we rented 7307 was extremely nice with every thing you could possibly need. Would definitely go back if given the chance.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — flies at pool are agressive.
13 Thank lilcaptaingreen
Long Beach, California
Reviewed September 12, 2006

I stayed at this amazing resort with my family in July 2006 and was beyond amazed. We stayed in unit 7105/7106 which is owned by Joyce Craddock (888-729-6899) and will come back here when we return. The condo has amazing unobstructed ocean views from every room! The entire unit is very tastefully decorated and is so comfortable - flat screen TV, DVD player and stereo plus the wonderful gourmet kitchen. We have now found a place to come to as a family where everyone is happy. Our kids loved the big lawn area right in front of the condo so they could play and catch frogs, and my husband loved the fact that the BBQ's are just around the corner.

I really wanted a ground floor unit so my kids could just run out and play and I could watch them!

Simply paradise for our family - we will return soon!!

Debi - Belmont Shores

• Liked — quality of the interior of the condo
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book through the owner for best vaulues
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank 90803
New Mexico
Reviewed September 6, 2006

This condo is beautifully furnished Hawaiian style. The location is perfect, very close to the walkway leading to the beach. The view from the lanai is captivating, and we were lucky enough to see a double rainbow our first day.
The resort is very relaxed and comfortable, and this condo is lovely!
Mahalo!

• Liked — location, pool
  • Disliked — I would like more space next time, so would rent both sides of condo
  • Tips/Secrets — sunscreen
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dreamer28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Hanalei Colony Resort
#1 of 1 in Hanalei

Been to Hanalei Bay Resort? Share your experiences!