My boyfriend and I have just returned from Hanalei Bay in Kauai. We loved every minute of our 11 day stay.
We stayed the first 3 nights in Unit 4221 - it was clean, well-equipped and very spacious for a "hotel room" type unit. It even had a microwave & small fridge! The door separating us from the rest of the unit could be a little better sound proofed, but piling up the cushions from the couch against deadened the TV noise from next door. If you're on a budget, or can't get into your main condo for a day or two like us, this makes a *great* base for a few days. I'm sure that with the adjoining unit, this would be a palatial suite with a great view from the main room - our view of the ocean and Bali Hai was blocked by the tree you see in the photo, which is growing fast!!!
We then spent a week in the palatial Unit 1557/1558. WOW! The owner has gone to great lengths to make this condo feel like home, right down to a welcome basket on our arrival, beach chairs, kitchen gadgets & gizmos, a video library, guidebooks, you name it. For a couple, this was truly a palatial base for the week, a family of 4 wouldn't have any issues staying here. The view from the lanai was amazing and the unit was so private and secluded we felt like we were the only ones on the island. a 2 minute walk to the pool, parking and reception area. Perfect.
We had breakfast on the lanais every morning, the beds were super comfortable. The pool and beach were OK, but there are better beaches a short drive away. Avoid the Food Land in Princeville, their prices are aimed at the tourist market. Do your food shopping in Hanalei, they have much better selection and prices that don't make you choke. Buy your favorite cocktail ingredients here, mix them up using the blender at Unit 1557/58 and sip by the pool or on the beach for $1/drink instead of $8 or $9 each. Dinner at Bali Hai around sunset is a must. Good food and not as expensive as you'd expect. Hanalei Gourmet for Thursday night fish tacos is a must, as is their fish & chips, as is Zelos's fish special (we had ahi), Postcards for at least one dinner, Hanalei Mixed Plate for takeout (their kalua pig rocks!) and Lappert's for sinfully good ice-cream. CJ's Steak & Seafood was excellent also.
We voted Hanalei Gourmet as the best Mai Tai on the island - doing the quality control was a lot of fun ;)
HBR does seem to be full of honeymooners; almost every couple we met had just got married. We even got some strange looks when we said "no, we're just here on vacation." Go figure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha Guests, Mahalo for choosing Hanalei Bay Resort. We’re delighted to have you as our guests! Lush, relaxing, and as comfortable as your own home, our Princeville accommodations offer all the perks of a vacation rental along with award-winning service from our friendly staff. Located on Kauai’s North Shore, Hanalei Bay Resort captures the island’s beauty inside and out. A Daily Resort Fee of $20 plus tax will be collected at time of booking. Please note repairs to a select group of lanais will be taking place January 5, 2018 through April 27, 2018. You may notice a minimal amount of noise between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Every effort will be taken to reduce the sound as much as possible and respond to any concern. Once again, mahalo for your understanding and cooperation during this emergency repair work. Warmest Regards, Resort Management ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Hanalei Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hanalei Bay Hotel Princeville
- Hanalei Bay Princeville
- Hanalei Bay Resort Princeville, Kauai