Hanalei Bay Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
1,878 results
All reviewsgolf carthappy talk loungetennis courtshanalei baybali hai restaurantnorth shorebeach pathprivately owned unitaloha condoshot tubthe kitchenswim up barunder constructionthrough vrbofire pitbeautiful groundscondo unit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort for 3 nights in December 2013. We have taken many trips to the Big Island, Maui, and Oahu but this was our first time to Kauai. We stayed in unit 4221 which is a studio unit. We rented this unit from the private owner on VRBO. Having never stayed there or anywhere on Kauai, we did not know what to expect. The studio unit was very nicely furnished, with a very comfortable king bed, air conditioning (a must), a kitchenette area, and a separate bathroom with tub/shower. The living area also had a small sofa bed which we did not use. As other reviewers have stated, we felt like we were in paradise.

Once we checked in, we were taken on a golf cart to our unit which was in Building 4. The HBR is a very large resort and they use golf carts to shuttle guests to their rooms. Once we stepped into our unit, we were totally blown away by the view from the lanai. It was one of the most beautiful views that I have ever seen, i.e., it looked out at Bali Hai, Hanalei beach, and gorgeous green mountains. Both my wife and I were totally awestruck. We went out onto the lanai and spent about 10 minutes just soaking up the view. Again, it was totally awesome. The view alone was worth every penny that we spent to rent the unit. We took about 50 pictures of the Bali Hai view from our room. I have attached two of these pictures.

The resort was great. The resort has two pools which were at different levels and were very nice. The upper pool was very large and the lower pool had a very nice covered bar-b-que area. We liked everything about the resort: its location, views, the staff, and amenities.

The only negative he had was that the building where the restaurant, lobby, and fitness room are located burned down about 2 years ago. They are still in the process of rebuilding it and should have it completed later this year (2014). I would have rated the resort 5 stars if the construction of this building was complete.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Hanalei Bay Resort and can't wait to go back later this year after all construction is done.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JimmyBubbles
jebett, Owner at Hanalei Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Mahalo for your kind words about your stay in 4221. I know that feeling of walking in and seeing Bali Hai in front of you for the first time. It is hard to put into words and I still get goose bumps every time I walk in 4221 or 4222 next door.
The lobby and lower fitness center should be open by this summer. I can't wait until the bar and restaurant reopens too. It has been a long time since our visitors, owners and guests could enjoy a cocktail with that same view you experienced from your rental. We appreciate our guests with their patience in the slow progress of remodeling our resort after a devasting fire destroyed this building. I am looking forward to your return.
Joan Bettencourt

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I want to give it 4 stars...but it is not at that level at the moment.

The fantastic location and views (from upper level units mainly - so do your homework - also a wide range of interior furnishings and fittings between units ) mask a few on going issues here.

After over two years the restaurant is STILL being renovated...how long does it take?
The top pool has been re opened after extensive paving works that took a long time to finish
Our units phone was not working at all - so you could not even call reception
They are now renovating the check in area...
All the condos have external ac units, that seem to be on the noisy side
It seems there is always renovations being done on condos - so check to see if something is happening next to where you will stay to avoid the noise and disruption.

On the plus side the staff are friendly and helpful.

Lots of potential when they get it right.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

If you are planning on staying at Hanelei Beach Resort PLEASE do yourself a favour and choose another unit!!

We are currently staying here and checked into a dirty unit, which I called and have emailed management about 48 hours ago and heard nothing back. Even though the cleaning lady said she'd send someone.

I had to clean the counters and floors before I could even start cooking dinner. Most of the pots and pans were dirty with left over food in them, which we had to clean too. Disgusting!! There is mold in the fridge, rust on the tin opener, bird dropping all over the lanai, old food stains on the cupboards, stains on the carpet. Oh the list goes on and on. And to make matters worse, they have the cheek of adding an additional $155 cleaning fee on check out.

The unit is outdated, which isn't a massive issue. I can live with outdated, dirt I can't live with, especially when I have two toddlers playing on the floor.

Hanalei Bay Resort is great, and we've seen some updated beautiful units that have the same gorgeous view.

Choose any other unit then this one, what a huge let down our vacation has been!!

• Stayed: January 2014
12  Thank J9Mendes
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Although the north side of Kauai gets more rain than the south part, I love the scenery in the north. I love the mountain ranges, the greenery, the vegetation and the small towns in the north. We have stayed at the hanalei bay resort twice and it's our favorite place on Kauai. And it's cheaper than staying at the St Regis right next door and with the same views. You can either book with resort directly, on your common hotel search engines or from an owner directly such as flip key. The resort is stunning. Every condo has a stunning view and the pool and hot tubs are amazing. They are working we reconstructing the lobby and onsite restaurant. It's a close drive to Hanalei town and Kileau which both have great restaurants such as the Lighthouse Bistro, our fav.

Room Tip: You can also book personally owned condo through flip keys website and the resort manages the check in and check out,
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatherineLovesHawaii
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I have travelled all over the world and this place is amazing. I will be back. Great view, great grounds, and great room. Our room was amazing, stainless appliances and granite countertops. The rooms have a ton of space and we had two oversized bathrooms. What I loved the most about the resort was the outdoor space. It is only three stories and the rooms are off set. You never feel like you are in a hotel complex unlike others we toured. The pool is so beautiful and has a couple of waterfalls. You can swim laps in it due to the long length. There are a ton of tennis courts. I really really really liked this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, have great views and are a good size.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple