We rented a condo in the Hanalei Bay Resort for a seven-night stay through VRBO. The booking process was smooth and uneventful. We were shuttled to our building in one of the resort's many onsite golf carts, which leads me to the first item worth mentioning about this place -- most of the buildings are a decent walk away from the parking lot, and inevitably require a 5- to 20-minute walk, or a ride on one of the golf carts.
We only used the cart once on check-in, and just walked to the car the rest of the time (a 15-minute walk from our building). The property is located on a hill that is fairly steep in places, so it served as a good and not altogether unwelcome bit of activity when leaving or arriving. However, not everyone will feel the same way. If you aren't feeling like walking, you're instructed to call the front desk, who will send a cart down to you -- but I imagine that could take a while when they're busy, and wouldn't be good if you were going somewhere in a hurry.
Anyway, the real problem I had with the golf carts is the noise factor. Since people leave and arrive at all hours of the day or night, the golf carts are always running, and since they're gas-powered, they are loud. Especially at three a.m. when you're trying to sleep and one tears on by -- it woke me up in our third-story unit more than once, and they really haul on those things. Maybe they should let off the gas a bit when it's the dead of night and people are trying to sleep. Better yet, invest in a few electric carts.
The housekeeping service was a little inconsistent but that was fine.
Our unit had been recently remodeled by its owners and was amazing. Since many *(most? all?) of the condos are privately owned and only managed by the resort, different units may be in varying states of renovation or lack thereof, so make sure you review photos or something before you book.
Finally: don't walk to Princeville at night on the walking path unless you have a flashlight. We did, and it was pitch black. Tripping-over-tree-roots-in-the-path black. We picked up a flashlight at the market which made the walk back much less bumpy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha Guests, Mahalo for choosing Hanalei Bay Resort. We’re delighted to have you as our guests! Lush, relaxing, and as comfortable as your own home, our Princeville accommodations offer all the perks of a vacation rental along with award-winning service from our friendly staff. Located on Kauai’s North Shore, Hanalei Bay Resort captures the island’s beauty inside and out. A Daily Resort Fee of $20 plus tax will be collected at time of booking. Please note repairs to a select group of lanais will be taking place January 5, 2018 through April 27, 2018. You may notice a minimal amount of noise between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Every effort will be taken to reduce the sound as much as possible and respond to any concern. Once again, mahalo for your understanding and cooperation during this emergency repair work. Warmest Regards, Resort Management ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Hanalei Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hanalei Bay Hotel Princeville
- Hanalei Bay Princeville
- Hanalei Bay Resort Princeville, Kauai