WINNER WONDERLAND

Hanalei Bay Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Solo Female - Loved the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed at this resort after staying in the southern part of Kauai. The staff were really friendly and helpful and for me as a solo traveler they only allowed me to take out 1 towel at a time. The resort fee is super super cheap vs. other hotels I've stayed at on the island which made me extremely happy. The trek to the beach is pretty steep but I mostly spent my time exploring other beaches on the north side (Ke'e, Anini, Tunnels, etc.). Though it's amazing that this hotel is right next to the prestigious St. Regis at much much more affordable prices...yay! My room was pretty outdated but as you're in Kauai - you don't spend alot of time there when there's so much to do (aka the Kalalau trail to the Falls). Free parking was great and I loved the fact that the hotel was able to store my luggage for a couple of hours while I checked out but was able to explore more beaches and such without having to worry about luggage sitting around visable in my car. The view from my 1st level hotel room was great too...i would sit out on my patio during a couple of sunsets and relax. I feel like any room there has an amazing view of Hanalei bay or the mtns and the sunset. This part of Kauai was my favorite (Princeville, Hanalei, etc.)...and I'll definitely go back to this area and stay here. :-) The only 1 issue I had was the AC, it seemed to work sometimes and not others...but overall...fabulous place.

Room Tip: My room was on the 1st floor and I had an incredible view of Hanalei bay and the sunset. The rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SuzieDenver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Great place for your value. Quite condo that easily accessible from the parking lot. Close to a private beach on Hanalei Bay. Golf course nearby. Quiet area of Princeville. The view from the balcony was great. Close to the hiking trail and Kapa'a. A little bit of a drive to Poipu.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jedix123
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Besides the beautiful pool (I understand there were two, but we honestly only went to the one right outside our condo), and I mean really beautiful, the grounds of this property were just tremendous. The condo was slightly worn, but nothing glaring or detracting. We had no problems with the property whatsoever.

But here was the nice surprise: This was like going to a tennis camp! A number of well-maintained, good tennis courts, a tennis pro on-site as well as several tennis staff, tennis shop, tournaments, private and group lessons - it was fantastic. And the weather is cool enough that you can play any time of the day and still be comfortable.

There were only two of us, but we saw plenty of families and groups of friends at the resort. It's very near two golf courses, lots of walking and hiking in the area, restaurants nearby... It's a terrific place.

2 Thank livinggood
Golden,CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

I would first like to say that the staff at the Resort really went out of their way to make peoples' stay enjoyable. You can count on everyone there being friendly and helpful. I have been coming here for 6 years and I noticed a profound positive change in help and service making it a fantastic place to stay. The location is perfect for me as I simply want a nice place to get up, eat a good breakfast, take off and hike or sit on a beach all day, come back and settle in for the evening in a beautiful spot and get up and do it again. I am not one to hang out at the pool or use all the amenities, but the location, beauty of the place and view alone more than make up for my lack of "tourist participation". It is a fantastic spot - people that say otherwise are likely those that want the ultimate 5 star acomodations for a budget price - get over it. This place is extremely reasonable in price and provide very clean, neat and beautiful units. I have stayed in 3 different units over the past 6 years and all were excellent in all ways. If something is "out of sorts", the staff will address and fix it immediately and are very service oriented. I have to say this - spoiled people want the very best for free - at HBR, you get fantastic for a below normal fee - this place is a gem and is a great place for the family vacation, the romantic vacation or the "adventurer" vacation (me). Great job!

Room Tip: I liked rooms on the south side as well. The area is quiter, but there is a good hill to get down th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mtnmagic22
Sanford, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've reviewed our amazing condo separately, so I'll reserve this space just for the resort itself. We had very little issues with Hanalei Bay Resort. Granted, they are still rebuilding the restaurant and bar from a previous fire, but we planned to visit bars and restaurants on the island itself anyway. Plus our condo had a great kitchen that allowed for meals and drinks to be consumed in privacy. The pool was awesome and well maintained. The only downfall I had with this resort is the fact that you have to park in the main lot and then hike/walk to your unit. There is an option to call the front desk and have a golf cart brought to you, but we never wanted to hassle with that. Depending upon where your condo is, the walk/hike might not be that bad. Also, I wouldn't recommend this resort for honeymooners. There are a lot of families with small children. Takes away from the romance a little bit. Overall, the resort was everything we were looking for.

Room Tip: Make sure your condo has ocean view from the lanai and bring good shoes to walk in, unless you call...
2 Thank BuckeyeJ70
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

From visiting with other guests, it appears the only decent units in this place are those that are privately owned and available through VRBO or other entities. The timeshare people get stuck in units that have not been renovated since they were built...probably in the 1970's. We were in a two bedroom unit and after a week moved to a smaller unit. Both smelled musty, had bugs, peeling wallpaper, sticky carpet, tile grout that was blackened with age, and rusty appliances. Our air conditioner poured water all over our things, and the clothes dryer in the larger unit would not turn off. The kitchen in the one bedroom has only a bar sized sink and not a single drawer. Silverware is kept in a mug. The furniture is newer, grounds are beautiful, and the pool is lovely, but the only restrooms at the pool are porta potties. Seriously. There is no restaurant, no bar or lounge. Those amenities burned down over a year ago. This place is tired and needs to be closed, gutted, and renovated. To their credit, the staff tries very hard despite having to bear the brunt of unhappy guests.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a privately owned unit...until such time as the place is refurbished.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Cathy C
Point Arena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Unfortunately this magnificent location for a resort is the only reason to stay here. The buildings and grounds need to be upgraded and better managed. Awesome pool, but needs TLC! The fire damaged restaurant is an eyesore and the staff does not seem to be service oriented. Our privately owned condo was at one time exquisite! The view of Hanalei Bay and the Bali Hai from the two lanai's heavenly! Good A/C which we were thankful for! Furnishings worn but very designer ecclectic, bamboo and oriental hawaiian. Cons: the mattress needed to be tossed a year ago, it was horribly uncomfortable with large holes and a huge lump in the middle! We were there for 10 nights and they provided no cleaning supplies, very little aloha regarding stocking the kitchen with amenities. Golf cart shuttles are a pain to get to your parked vehicle as they are often late, or do not show at all! What a shame this place has been let go, heaven is turning into hell. We won't stay there again without TLC refurbishing!
I am not sure what the previous negative reviews are talking about regarding very little to do and see in the area. We walked and hiked from this resort to some of the most beautiful spots on Kauai'i. Queens Bath (hundreds of large green sea turtles), Hideaway Beach (you may get lucky and be here by yourself or selves), Hanalei Bay. Short drives to Kilauea lighthouse, Anini beach (great snorkeling, sea turtles, safe for kids), quaint shops bars and restaurants. World class dining at the Kauaii grill at the St. Regis, nice Health Food store or Foodland for groceries, local farmers market for incredible produce. Prices are high on the island for just about everything, but the views, the air, the water, the roosters are heavenly! 45 minutes from Lihu'e airport to Princeville, save some $$, shop and get gas at Costco!

Room Tip: Ocean view, top floor, A/C!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank trippy0nes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,126 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Hanalei Bay Resort? Share your experiences!