“Nice resort but would pick a different location next Kauai trip”
Review of Hanalei Bay Resort

Hanalei Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 27, 2011

This was our first trip to Kauai, second in Hawaii. The island absolutely took our breath away and I know we will be back, however, not to Hanalei Bay.

The room was the basic studio room. It had a pull out couch to sleep on (didn't expect that). The kitchen amenities were dated but clean and in good working order. Space was limited but sufficient for the two of us. They came to change our towels and sheets every 3 days which was nice as well as restock the coffee, dish soap and single use laundry detergent packet if you asked. The bathroom was a great size and so was the lanai. The room was private, quiet and there were no insects. The room was not awful by any means, it was just dated, small, and the pull out couch was not enjoyable.

The staff at the resort were excellent, always cordial, always smiling. The pool was very nice, and the beach was great as well. The fitness room did not have weights, we supplemented our workouts with bands. They no longer have a restaurant on the resort but the St Regis next door does. There are other dining options in Hanalei (5 minute drive), Kaylpso was our favourite. The area the resort is located is the most beautiful on the island and the best surfing is in Hanalei Bay.

Now saying that, the beauty came with a price, atleast for us it did. The location of the resort was difficult. First of all, it rained every single day we were there (all 11 days). Yes it was winter time and it is a very lush island, but it was not pleasant. We drove down to the South end of the island (under 2 hrs) every day to see the sun and hang out on a beach. In the South end, the dining options were plenty and the prices were more competitive. There were more activities as well. The next time we travel to Kauai we will be staying in the South end.

If you enjoy hiking, Kauai's trails will blow you away. We bought a detailed map from a local shop that outlined every one. We also did a plane tour with Air Ventures and a Zodiac raft tour of the NaPali coast with Capt Andys. Seeing the NaPali coast is a must, whether you choose to lay back on a catamaran or cling to a raft. It was by far the best day of the trip. I went from never seeing a whale or dolphin (out of capture atleast) from seeing 3 dozen of them. The scenery, caves, snorkeling, isolated beaches were all what made Kauai the most beautiful place we've ever seen.

If I were to offer any advice to other travelers, I do not suggest this resort if you are without a rental car, especially in the rainy season. I also recommend that if you want a bedroom and not a pull out couch, do not book the 'studio' style room. Any questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sunchaser1104
Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed March 22, 2011

Unit 4106 at Hanalei Bay Resort was a wonderful place to meet the views and vistas of the northern part of Kauai. The unit is comfortable and lovely with a view of Hanalei Bay and is close to the beach access trail. We were pleased with our stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IBM9318
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We stayed at this resort through a 3rd party rental company called Hanalei Vacation Rentals. The rental property is part of Hanalei Bay Resort. This review is also for those considering renting from this rental company. The cleanliness of the unit when we arrived was awful. There were cockroaches and lizards inside the room. When my wife went to dry her hands on a towel, she was met by the surprise of a nice, big cockroach in the hand towel. We found dead bugs all over the unit and it was beyond dusty. Not sure if this is a reflection of poor cleaning on behalf of the resort or rental company, but when we addressed it with both places, we were met with little-to-no response. In fact, the rental company did not return our calls once the whole time we were there, except for the initial call to notify them that we arrived. My family is used to tropical vacations, but this absolutely awful accommodations.
While the cleanliness can be attributed to either the rental company or the resort, the service is squarely on the resort. Due to the lack of communication from the rental company, we turned to the resort staff to help us clean the room. We were met with so much resistance from the staff there: started with a phone call to one of the staff members saying he'll come take a look at it in 5-10min. I'm used to island time, so I waited an hour, and still no sign of him or call. I called him back, and he gave me an excuse that even if he came, there's nothing he can really do to help us. From trying to get the lizards & cockroaches out of our room, to even just helping us clean the room of dead bugs, he was insistent on not coming over. Eventually, I contacted the property manager, and I have to say it was a relief to finally speak with someone exceptionally nice & sympathetic with our situation. By the time I spoke with her, it was late, and she was home, but she offered to come back to the resort right then, and help us clean. She's really the only reason I gave this review two stars...this and the awesome golf cart escorts.
The front desk is the last item I'll comment on. WOW...are they awful and mean. From dealing with all the situations above, to simple requests, it seems they don't want to help customers. A straight example: our flight out was leaving early in the morning, and so we had to check out around 6am. I had checked us in online and needed to print our boarding passes. When I called the front desk, they said I needed to use the business center to print. I was fine with that, until they said the center doesn't open until 9am. I explained to them that we were leaving and I need to just print 4 pages, which I had saved to a thumb drive; I asked if they'd be willing to print them for me, and I was met with such resistance! They said that I'd have to just wait for the center to open, and their computers are off-limits to printing by customers...then they changed their story to their computers don't have a print function. I was furious at this point...luckily the property manager had arrived early that day, so I went over to her office and explained the situation. She was really sweet and said that her staff should have never said or done what they did. She let me print from her computer, and we were on our way.
While some of this review reflect on the rental company, the majority of it covers how we were treated at the resort. Needless to say, I gave the location 4 stars, because you can't beat waking up to a view of the Hanalei Bay and Napali coastline...simply put, it's a dream.
If you've never been to Kauai, you have to go; and when your there, go to Hanalei Bay, and even keep driving past Hanalei, until the road dead ends into the Napali coast mountains. You'll come to a beach at the end with a supreme view of the sunset. Oh, and great BBQ at the Coconut Plantation strip mall (small walk-up window bbq spot in the middle of the small mall).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank rogu71
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed in unit 4221/2- basically a good sized hotel room with lanai with gorgeous view.
We thought it was a great value for the price, we knew ahead of time about the resort fees , so no surprises there, still felt like we got a great deal. The grounds are lovely and the pool area is great. Yes it is cool at this time of year. We knew the restaurant was closed and non issue for us. The unit is set up for eating in with a small refrigerator , toaster, coffee maker , blender and microwave- just enough dishes for 2 people- no stove. We did fine and ate in breakfast all 5 days and dinner 3 out of 5 days- lunch at the pool is not fancy but is just fine and there are grills poolside you can use. You do have to use the bathroom counter area for clean up so be aware of that . We are walkers and there is ample opportunity for it with a beach walk- down a fairly steep, paved trail to the beach and great walking around the golf courses with ocean and mountain views. Walk to the Westin and down another trail to another lovely beach. You can walk to Princeville shopping area - it is a couple of miles , and there are restaurants there as well as shopping. You really should visit Hanalei while you are in the area - there are some good restaurants there. Lots of golf and tennis at the resort - we don't do either so can't comment on green fees etc
This is a beautiful spot . We worked directly with the owner, Joan who was helpful and great to work with. We are active and love to be outdoors and this is a great place for that- the no see ums are a problem at night on the lanai- wear socks !

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smn618
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Unlike some beach locations, Kauai invites the traveler to become more than a tourist. As you look out over the bay, you can hardly take in all the visual beauty. Hanalei Bay Resorts has great recreational amenities - tennis, workout room, yoga classes, etc. The pool area is lush and relaxing.

Unit 9123 had great views. After shopping at the local farmer's market and buying fresh fish at the Hanalei Dolphin, we grilled dinner several evenings at the grills next to the lower pool. The kitchen was well equipped and we baked Christmas cookies during our stay.

The staff is friendly and professional. The location is the best in Princeville - with access to the beach along a paved path.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2011

The hanalei bay resort is lovely however I would only recomend the 1 bedroom ocean view units (or larger). I have stayed there many times, once in a unit that was managed by the castle managment company and all of the other times in privatly owned units. The views of hanalei bay have been exquisit from all of them but the furnishings were considerably nicer in the invidually owned units. I would not recomend the "studio units". The main pool is nice with water falls and lush landscaping and the sand bottom jacuzzi is great. The second pool is very basic. Unfortunantly the famous Bali hai resturant closed several years back (such a loss) and as far as I know nothing has reopened in its place. The beach is a bit of a walk down a jungle path but it is wonderful once you reach it. (It shares the beach with the Saint Regis). I short drive will take you to my favorit beach at Hanalei Bay. The best time to visit the north shore in my opinion is May to October. While you are there have a scoop of Lapperts ice cream for me!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank lerin88
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We are a surfing family from France. I must say that we have been very lucky to find the 4014 Unit in Halanei Bay Resort. Our Hosts Jane and Kent were so helpfull and kind. Our kids found holidays Grand Parents ! Regarding the location we had a great view on Hanalei Bay, and were able to check the surf at Middle from the room ! If the surf was up Stephan went surfing Hanalei Bay and we stayed home schooling in the morning. The kids really enjoyed the pools with waterfalls and of course the hot Spa was great after surf. Another good thing about the location is that we could go walking to Hanalei Bay, no need for car, just walk down to the snorkeling beach by St Régis, then cross the river and you are at the Pier within half our, beside the kids loved the adventure of going through the little path among luxurious vegetation, crossing the river...
We originally booked for one week but finally stayed 3! That's how much we liked it. The service on the Resort is great value too. John has a little snack where he offers delicious teriaki chicken wraps, hot dogs and cheesburgers. One day the kids went to a Lei making atelier and liked it very much. We will keep a wonderfull souvenir of our stop in Kauai.
Merci

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Pepette40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Hanalei Bay Resort? Share your experiences!