“perfect honeymoon experience”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Everywhere, USA
“perfect honeymoon experience”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I took my wife to Kauai for our 2 week honeymoon. During the first week we stayed at the Princeville Hotel and went with the junior suite facing they bay and ocean. The staff were very professional and there is onsite concierge to help you with activities. The room was very spacious for two, boasted two large sliding windows/screens that could be opened to allow in the ocean breeze. Marble bathroom with electric privacy glass bathroom window. The bedroom had a remote that would make the TV pop out of the dresser.

We ate dinner on premise twice and started with the beachside private cabana for two. The Hotel setup a private cabana facing the bay, equipped with dinning table, tiki torches and personal butler service. The food was amazing and the view of the sunset was to die for. We also dined in the restaurant at the hotel one night, the meal was pretty good. The hotel also has a pretty robust breakfast buffet, where you can sit outside and enjoy views of the waterfalls. You should try the Luau, plenty of food and live entertainment. To get to the pool area, bar or gym you kinda have to snake through the hotel as it was built funny due to the landscape. There are so many things to do around the hotel if you enjoy the outdoors (horseback riding, spa, helicopter, snorkeling, beachs, parks, waterfalls, ATV, watersports, shopping, golfing, boating, sight seeing, surfing, fishing)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I have stayed at a number of St. Regis properties and they have all had great service. They are not bargains, but the properties have all been beautiful and the St. Regis, Princeville is no exception. Our rooms were very elegant, the food was delicious, the spa treatments great, and the staff could not have been more accommodating. Of the myriad of places to go in Hawaii I would heartily recommend this spot to anyone looking to get away from the crowds and be pampered.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My family spent 7 nights at the St. Regis in early July. We were VERY excited to experience the hotel post the 2009 renovations. Kauai is the most environmentally-beautiful of all the Hawaiian islands, and the St. Regis is perhaps the most perfectly-situated of any hotel regardless of island.

That being said, this is a 5-star hotel providing low 4-star service. We summarized the pros and cons below in hopes that someone from the hotel will be reading this review. If we return to Kauai, we'll be staying here since it is the best. Unfortunately, we will not be rushing back anytime soon until we hear the cons below have been addressed. The price is not worth the lack of first-class service.

PROS
- Stunning location - the views are spectacular
- Pool and beach are nicely set up; Service at both are great with enthusiastic waiters who are fun to visit with during the day.
- Rooms look great post-renovation. Nice furniture and large HD flat screen TVs
- Kauai Grill signature restaurant is the best on the North Shore.
- Great lobby bar that's one of the most memorable hotel locations to watch a sunset anywhere in the world.
- Close to Hanalei which has lots of great kayak, boating and surfing opportunities.
- World-class hiking within 20 minutes of the hotel

CONS
- Serious lapses in service; some employees were downright rude. The staff was very reactive rather than proactive compared to other luxury hotels. We had some basic requests that were botched (as the result of miscommunication between hotel staff).
- Slow, spotty service. Room service dishes weren't picked up until 2-3 hours after we called. This happened repeatedly over our 7 days.
- No in-hotel gift shop (or any shops). Very frustrating to have to drive 2 miles to buy basics like suntan lotion, magazines or toiletries. I can understand not having boutiques during this recession, but every 5-star hotel of this size should have a sundries/gift shop.
- Hotel food (except the Kauai Grill) is pretty marginal. There are some standouts at the pool/beachside service (kobe sliders, chicken sate), but the Makana Grill and in-room dining was just so-so.

Hope this helps with expectations for anyone's visit or in encouraging Starwood to step it up!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ksgpasadena
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We were at the Princeville Resort in 2005. It has since been renovated and is now a St Regis hotel. We were here on our 10th wedding anniversary and brought our 7 year old boy. From the moment we were greeted at valet by Brian and others we had the most amazing service! They are the best reflection of customer service I may have ever experienced. You just feel from the begining that you are going to be taken care of in every way and that they are truly happy to have you there. And they were so gracious and welcoming of our son. Valet/doormen would stock you with towels and water as you left in your car to go explore for the day. Even gave my son a hotwheels and cookie the day we departed and made him promise to try surfing with one of them when we return next year.

Conceirge was great and a big shout out to Jodie who was exceptional.

Then our room: well if you can get a room close to 101! private lanai, amazing views! The beds, the most comfortable beds and bedding I have ever experinced! love the liquid crystal privacy windows in the bathroom. Breakfast on the terrace was gorgeous as always.

The pool is now a gorgeous infinity pool with little blue green 1/2" mosaic tiles covering the entire thing! amazing craftsmanship. Infact no detail was missed. They took away the swim up bar but that only seemed to attract the rowdy kids so I didnt miss it at all. The pool staff, especially NOAH rocks! Talk about service. They give you 2 towels, walk you to a suitable lounge chair and find and set up and umbrella. bring water, and wonderful drinks! Never had a problem finding a chair or shade.

We used the keiki or kids club a couple times and my son had a blast. Both times they didnt have any other kids so the staff took him snorkeling and looking for crabs. The night of our anniversary it poured. Did they stay in ? Nope, she took him out for an adventure looking for crabs at night in the rain with flashlights!

Of course the views are spectacular and even the snorkeling right infront of the hotel can be some of the best fish you see if its not cloudy water. but do try Tunnels!

My only thing I can say negative was our dinner at their nice restaurant we had notified them it was our 10th anniverary. The service was not good and they didnt even acknowledge our special night, not even a "congratulations, welcome back", nothing. I found the wait staff at the nicer restaurant not really up to the standard of the restarant. The food was good. They just need more sophisticated, refined and more professional staff.

In summary, amazing! Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hanalei_princess
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My wife and i stayed at the St. Regis after leaving another property because we weren't happy. the St. Regis surpassed all expectaions. not only were the rooms amazing and the views stunning the staff was very accomodating. thank you St Regis for making our honeymoon memorable!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mthsl
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2010

If you are expecting a hotel comparable to a Rosewood Resrts or Four Seasons Hotel then this is not the hotel for you.

This is a very nice hotel. It is just that I do not think that it is a great hotel. If it wasn't for the view from the lobby this would be rated as an average to above average hotel.

My first night set a bad tone when I was put in a handicap room that was significantly different from what I reserved. I was quite disappointed that the hotel didn't notify us at check in that they were going to put us in a hadicap room. I guess they were hoping that we wouldn't notice.(lol) After the fact, the receptionist was willing to move us but only to a room with double beds. Not really what I had hoped for on our Honeymoon. I gave up with the room change after the first night but my wife did talk to the manager the next day and they were able to find us an appropriate room. Will miracles never cease.

The food in the Makana Terrace was okay but not inspiring. The service was hit or miss. Some of the servers were quite young and had their mind somewhere else.

The food in Kauai Grill was very pretty to look at but after the meal I wished I had eaten some where else. The Kauai grill had very good service.

The St. Regis Bar was nice. I enjoyed the music and views. But once again, the service was hit or miss. Some nights I would have to get up from my table and walk to the bar to get a drink given the slow service. Other nights the service was very attentive. I think they need at least one more coctail waitress.

The rooms were nice and clean. I am not a big fan of combination bath tub showers in hotels in this price range. But I guess that is partly a reflection of the age of this hotel. Room service in our case was always late in the afternoon.

I doubt that I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Allentown PA
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This is a becutiful hotel with spectacular view of Hanalei Bay. The staff is attentive. The pool is very nice. We had delicious lunches at its accompanying restaurant. The beach is pretty but the ocean can be a bit challenging to get in because of the lava rocks.There are several beaches very nearby that you can drive to. The hotel will provide towels. There are no chair or umbrella rentals on them. Jean George's Kuai Grill was a big dissappointment. The food was good but over-priced, service was rushed and the sunset was blinding...literally. The Hanalei Dolphin House was very good and we went there two nights. Our room was really nice and it even captured that goreous view from the shower when you switched off the privacy glass. '

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
MSgarbi, General Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Aloha,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and all our guests that took the time to write a review about our resort.

I appreciate and I will share the good comments with the team, as well as I will use your constructive feedback to improve our services.

Thank you for choosing the St Regis Princeville Resort and we’re looking forward to welcoming you again.

A hui hoe! (Until we meet again!)

Milton Sgarbi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!