My family spent 7 nights at the St. Regis in early July. We were VERY excited to experience the hotel post the 2009 renovations. Kauai is the most environmentally-beautiful of all the Hawaiian islands, and the St. Regis is perhaps the most perfectly-situated of any hotel regardless of island.
That being said, this is a 5-star hotel providing low 4-star service. We summarized the pros and cons below in hopes that someone from the hotel will be reading this review. If we return to Kauai, we'll be staying here since it is the best. Unfortunately, we will not be rushing back anytime soon until we hear the cons below have been addressed. The price is not worth the lack of first-class service.
- Stunning location - the views are spectacular
- Pool and beach are nicely set up; Service at both are great with enthusiastic waiters who are fun to visit with during the day.
- Rooms look great post-renovation. Nice furniture and large HD flat screen TVs
- Kauai Grill signature restaurant is the best on the North Shore.
- Great lobby bar that's one of the most memorable hotel locations to watch a sunset anywhere in the world.
- Close to Hanalei which has lots of great kayak, boating and surfing opportunities.
- World-class hiking within 20 minutes of the hotel
- Serious lapses in service; some employees were downright rude. The staff was very reactive rather than proactive compared to other luxury hotels. We had some basic requests that were botched (as the result of miscommunication between hotel staff).
- Slow, spotty service. Room service dishes weren't picked up until 2-3 hours after we called. This happened repeatedly over our 7 days.
- No in-hotel gift shop (or any shops). Very frustrating to have to drive 2 miles to buy basics like suntan lotion, magazines or toiletries. I can understand not having boutiques during this recession, but every 5-star hotel of this size should have a sundries/gift shop.
- Hotel food (except the Kauai Grill) is pretty marginal. There are some standouts at the pool/beachside service (kobe sliders, chicken sate), but the Makana Grill and in-room dining was just so-so.
Hope this helps with expectations for anyone's visit or in encouraging Starwood to step it up!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on one of the most beautiful sites in the world, The St. Regis Princeville Resort is Hawaii’s address for life’s special moments. Elegantly appointed, the resort offers 251 spacious guest rooms including the exclusive Crown Suite Collection. Overlooking beautiful Hanalei Bay, the St. Regis Princeville provides bespoke service amid magnificent natural surroundings. Experience the pursuit of sport, culture and fine dining. For connoisseurs who desire the finest expressions in luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your St. Regis Princeville Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Regis Princeville Hotel Princeville
- St. Regis Princeville Resort Kauai