“Beauty and comfort beyond words!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Regis Princeville Resort

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Los Angeles, California
“Beauty and comfort beyond words!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Such quality in everything offered from the St. Regis. Pure paradise in their fabulous rooms with a view that waking up to is just difficult to describe. From the time you check in to even after you leave you are well taken care of. It will be more than difficult to stay anywhere else from now on! The service that we received from everyone we encountered could not have been better! I would absolutely recommend St. Regis resorts to anyone!!

1 Thank Jelly_Heads

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lawai, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

when making our reservations with Makana she was very helpful & pleasent, when we arrived there was so mush ALOHA from the valet boys, the front desk, from ordering room service. the room was breath taking just like the view, the pool & beach was breath taking also, everything was in the distance of the hotel to were you would not need to leave your hotel.

1 Thank VACATION049
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We just got back a few weeks ago from the St Regis Kauai. . Some quick thoughts: I think the view from the St Regis is really gorgeous. We went down to the Poipu area and didn't care for it at all, I really preferred the North Shore views and feel. Having a cocktail or appetizers out at the St Regis bar during sunset is absolutely fantastic. We had an ocean view room that looked out towards both Mt Waialeale and Bali Hai and loved our views. (We didn't have the lanai but we were able to fully open our windows and sit on the ledge at the end.) Kauai Grill was fantastic! We had a table at the window so we could watch the sunset and dinner/wine/service were all outstanding. Breakfast at the resort is ridiculously priced, so hopefully you can get a breakfast package included to save some of your cost. (we had one and it worked out perfect.) Service at the pool/bar was poor, don't expect them to be friendly when taking your order...Parking the car at Valet was perfect, we would call and the car would be ready and stocked with water for our various hikes or day trips.

I will say that St Regis Princeville didn't really do it for me though, it felt like a big corporate vibe, no romance, not authentic. There were events going on every day, whether it was all the numerous weddings going on, the concerts, or all the non-guests coming at 5:45pm and reserving all the tables and chairs outside for the sunset. (I think they should at least try to accommodate people that are staying at the hotel when possible, whether that means having a section reserved or even being able to get tables outside at certain times etc.) We didn't get anything at check-in (cocktail/water) and were just handed our key. We didn't even know which way the room was?? I had to go back and ask them where the elevator was... just not classy in my opinion. I just felt a lack of an intimate Hawaiian feel too. Most of the people working there were nice, but it definitely didn't feel personalized in any way. Almost all the tropical places we have been, there has been a certain element of service, but I didn't really feel it here at the St Regis. There were also lots of children there, I still don't understand why people would bring their very young children to a place like this, but that's not my call. I tend to like smaller/intimate luxurious places with an island feel, this is not that, but it is still a beautiful location. The actual hotel is pretty and most people will love it, For me it was just too big and didn't have any island character to it. I loved the North Shore in general and really hope to get back to Kauai. There are some fabulous activities there and the Napali Coast really captured me! The North Shore offers opportunity to go hiking, snorkeling etc and the beach/pool at the resort is nice (although it can get busy.) I just really can't label the St Regis as much of a romantic place, I have been to much better from a service and romantic aspect... All that said, it is still a very nice place to stay if you know what you are getting into and the views are really gorgeous. For me though, I will have to find somewhere else to stay...

3 Thank Travcarib
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

The perfect trip at the perfect hotel. We spent our Honeymoon at the St. Regis Princeville and it was amazing. The hotel was stunning and the views were breathtaking. If you want to impress your spouse or guest, go to this hotel. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Try to get up by 7am so that you can see and experience low tide. What an amazing experience walking out 30 yeards into the ocean. You will love the way the pool staff treats you. You will feel like a movie star.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

We travel frequently including to Hawaii. Our recent trip to the St regis Kauai was spectacular.   The lobby, rooms and outdoor facilities are tops. The staff was excellent.  The restaurants are fine.  The car valet staff was the best.  My only issue would be the need to make dinner
reservations before arrival  We will recommend The St regis to all our friends.

• Stayed June 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

I've stayed at the St. Regis Princeville twice since they completed their renovation/change in ownership. The two stays were different due to time of year, travel situation, and the occupancy at the hotel. There was, however, one constant -- the service was phenomenal, and I came home thinking that I can't wait to visit again! And I'm not typically one to revisit the same resort repeatedly.

The first time was in December 2009. It was cold and rainy in southern CA, and I had a few days off. It was a last-minute decision that turned out unbelievably well! Prior to my arrival, the concierge called me to ask about any assistance I might need. They located a nearby bar that had the NFL channel, so that I could see the Thursday night game on arrival on the island. They also advised me on car rental vs taxi. The hotel was fairly quiet. I would guess they were about 40-50% occupancy. I got an upgrade to a junior suite (I have SPG gold status), and by the end of the first day, the entire staff was greeting me by name! The first evening, I enjoyed the piano in the St. Regis bar and had a perfect martini and appetizers. The breakfast was fantastic the next morning at Makena Terrace. Kauai Grill, their Jean-Georges restaurant, was fabulous. I had the tasting menu the first night I ate there. It was such a wonderful experience, I returned the following night and ordered a la carte. The black pepper octopus is to die for. Their sommelier, Nicholas, is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. As a single guest, the staff gave me just enough attention without hovering.

I returned in June 2010 and brought my mother. She loved the Kauai Grill so much, she wanted to eat there every night! Again, the service was fantastic. The hotel was 78% occupancy, and we got an upgrade to a beautiful room (1115) with a balcony. No junior suites available.

It is truly a 5-star hotel. The rooms are beautifully furnished. The staff is eager to help and seem happy to do it. We requested a refrigerator for our room and it arrived in 5 minutes. Evening turn-down includes bottled water and chocolate. The valet provides bottled water and beach towels if you need them when you pick your car up. I only knew this because they guessed that I was heading to the beach and offered. The spa is lovely. The pool area is beautiful, and there were more lounge chairs than guests at all times. At the pool, they often pass out pieces of pineapple. There are 2 computers with printers available for guest use 24/7. The fitness center provides earphones that can be used with the treadmills and other cardio equipment.

My only criticism is the towel service at the pool. This didn't impact my stay, but it just stood out as a significant contrast to the overall excellence of the hotel's service. In December, I was given towels at the pool, but only when I approached the counter where they keep them. In June, when it was busier, I had to wait for an attendant, then ask for towels, and it was faster to set up the chair myself for my Mom and me. No big deal, but it was clear that the plan was to greet each guest when they arrive at the pool and assist them.

I will absolutely return to Kauai. And the St. Regis Princeville is the main reason to go!

• Stayed June 2010
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

I really enjoyed our stay at the St. Regis. The views and the pool atmosphere were perfect for recharging my batteries with two exceptions:

1. This is really a great hotel with a nice pool in a good location...it is not a resort in the sense that the pool/beach is really the only thing for the kids.

2. Value: If you're trying to be somewhat thrifty--this is not the place for you. I was happy in the end, but will not return simply because the Hyatt was a much better value for the money. My answer would probably be different if it were just my wife and I.

Service was outstanding, rooms were clean, but the remodel apparently did not improve the rooms from what I could tell.

Golfers, the Makai course is for you if you like ocean views, a well manicured course and nice greens. I expect this course to gain rave reviews in the coming years. The Prince course is for you if you want a challenge off the tee and wish to putt on beautiful, but god awful slow Bermuda greens--conditioning at the Prince course seems a bit of a challenge also. Will never play the Prince again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,673 reviews

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!