The St. Regis Princeville and the North Shore are beautiful - the hotel's location is in an amazing spot and the views are great. Overall, the food is excellent at both the Makana Terrace and the Kauai Grille. In fact, the food at Kauai Grille was the best food we had on our entire trip to Hawaii. (Note: the prices at the resort and spa are expensive so be prepared to ignore them. For more affordable eating options, I would venture into Hanalei - there are some nice places with reasonable prices such as the Hanalei Dolphin. Postcards is only OK. Bar Acuda is good but it has a limited menu.) The rooms are clean, well decorated, and the beds are amazingly comfortable. My only complaint about the room is the lack of lanai / balcony. On warm weather vacations, it is nice to have some outdoor space (unless you book a room on the ground level by the pool, I do not think there are many options for outdoor space) .
That said, the weather is so unpredictable and inconsistent that I would have to think twice before returning. We were there at the very end of April / beginning of May (which supposedly is the beginning of the dry season) and the weather was awful - it rained 60 - 70 % of the time - not my idea of a Hawaiian vacation. So if you are going to go, I would go to the North Shore in the summer when it is supposed to be less wet, and if you go in the winter months (Nov - April), I would stay on the South Shore where it is dry year-round, or so everyone claims. Also, I got a different answer or explanation everytime I asked the concierge or anyone else at the resort about the weather forecast -some said the rain was clearing up, others didn't know because "this is Kauai - the weather changes minute to minute" - on the whole, i found it frustrating. Some people on the resort traveled to the south side for sun at the sister resort, but that drive is at least 45 minutes away, and I wasn't paying $600 / night to hang out at another resort. On top of that, there is not much to do in the rain. One employee at the concierge told me that I could still swim and snorkel in the rain - while that may sound like fun to some, it's not to me - odd that the concierge could not come up with other things to do in the rain. We decided to explore the local towns, which was fun for a day. Also, on one of the days it rained, the power went out in the afternoon, and when many guests congregated in the bar to drink and eat, it was closed and remained closed so there was no opportunity to buy drinks or food unless you went to the pool which was desolate. Also, when we asked for late checkout upon arrival, the hotel refused to confirm it until the night before and also informed us that we would have to pay extra to keep the room past 2 pm - seriously? Finally, the fitness center is average. Some other resorts in Hawaii have mixed indoor / outdoor space for working out which is really nice.
At the end of the day, the hotel is beautiful and the views are stunning, but when you are paying a significant chunk of change to stay there, the weather is just too risky. No one wants to pay thousands of dollars to hang out in the rain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on one of the most beautiful sites in the world, The St. Regis Princeville Resort is Hawaii’s address for life’s special moments. Elegantly appointed, the resort offers 251 spacious guest rooms including the exclusive Crown Suite Collection. Overlooking beautiful Hanalei Bay, the St. Regis Princeville provides bespoke service amid magnificent natural surroundings. Experience the pursuit of sport, culture and fine dining. For connoisseurs who desire the finest expressions in luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your St. Regis Princeville Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Regis Princeville Hotel Princeville
- St. Regis Princeville Resort Kauai