“Beautiful hotel for the rainiest spot on Earth”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The St. Regis Princeville and the North Shore are beautiful - the hotel's location is in an amazing spot and the views are great. Overall, the food is excellent at both the Makana Terrace and the Kauai Grille. In fact, the food at Kauai Grille was the best food we had on our entire trip to Hawaii. (Note: the prices at the resort and spa are expensive so be prepared to ignore them. For more affordable eating options, I would venture into Hanalei - there are some nice places with reasonable prices such as the Hanalei Dolphin. Postcards is only OK. Bar Acuda is good but it has a limited menu.) The rooms are clean, well decorated, and the beds are amazingly comfortable. My only complaint about the room is the lack of lanai / balcony. On warm weather vacations, it is nice to have some outdoor space (unless you book a room on the ground level by the pool, I do not think there are many options for outdoor space) .

That said, the weather is so unpredictable and inconsistent that I would have to think twice before returning. We were there at the very end of April / beginning of May (which supposedly is the beginning of the dry season) and the weather was awful - it rained 60 - 70 % of the time - not my idea of a Hawaiian vacation. So if you are going to go, I would go to the North Shore in the summer when it is supposed to be less wet, and if you go in the winter months (Nov - April), I would stay on the South Shore where it is dry year-round, or so everyone claims. Also, I got a different answer or explanation everytime I asked the concierge or anyone else at the resort about the weather forecast -some said the rain was clearing up, others didn't know because "this is Kauai - the weather changes minute to minute" - on the whole, i found it frustrating. Some people on the resort traveled to the south side for sun at the sister resort, but that drive is at least 45 minutes away, and I wasn't paying $600 / night to hang out at another resort. On top of that, there is not much to do in the rain. One employee at the concierge told me that I could still swim and snorkel in the rain - while that may sound like fun to some, it's not to me - odd that the concierge could not come up with other things to do in the rain. We decided to explore the local towns, which was fun for a day. Also, on one of the days it rained, the power went out in the afternoon, and when many guests congregated in the bar to drink and eat, it was closed and remained closed so there was no opportunity to buy drinks or food unless you went to the pool which was desolate. Also, when we asked for late checkout upon arrival, the hotel refused to confirm it until the night before and also informed us that we would have to pay extra to keep the room past 2 pm - seriously? Finally, the fitness center is average. Some other resorts in Hawaii have mixed indoor / outdoor space for working out which is really nice.

At the end of the day, the hotel is beautiful and the views are stunning, but when you are paying a significant chunk of change to stay there, the weather is just too risky. No one wants to pay thousands of dollars to hang out in the rain.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2010

I loved this place so much. I don't have much bad to say, however, I beg of you, if you have kids...why would you bring them on a romantic Kauai getaway? The St. Regis probably doesn't mind having your kids, but when your room (and most do) faces the ocean and pool, hearing your kid swimming and screaming in the pool or on your balcony at 8 am is NOT romantic, nor cute and is just plain poor parenting.

Pros of this beautiful property:
Small touches-great bathroom supplies, slippers and water at turndown, great views from room, Lei upon arrival, friendly staff, coffees & teas in room, sunscreen at pool, pool staff, big bathroom with tub and 2 sinks. Ice water available at pool.The bed is awesome! 42" plasma with ipod dock. Bar had nice acoustic singer. Warm water pool-very clean, same with jacuzzi.

Cons:
It's difficult to come and go with surf board, loud kids at pool (right outside your room), valet (kind of inconvenient when you want to come and go and they have plenty of space for a self park lot), No fridge, ice only at turndown, very pricey drinks at pool-mixed drink is about $14 average, No balcony on most rooms, no free wi-fi (this should be a given).
We did have an issue with dinner at the Grill as we got seated, and waited, waited, waited---we finally left because we were there about 25 minutes w/o even a drink. We were surprised the next day with a handwritten apology and gift in our room.
We also had a 45 minute problem with them locating our car at valet. This was quite irritating since the lot is about a 20 second walk away.
Even though there were some hiccups, they are trying very hard and I would still go back. It's a pricey place to stay at, but we knew we were in for that. If you are on any type of budget, this would not be the place for you..The Westin Princeville, right down the road is a better choice for budget minded travel..we stayed there 4 nights, full kitchen and grill and very relaxing w/o all the fuss at the St. Regis..but it all depends what you are looking for on your vacation. But please, if you bring your kids- rent a house somewhere where we don't have to listen to them in the pool or balconies! Kauai is for lovers, not screaming toddlers!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank travellingbuddymel
Reviewed May 7, 2010

This hotel was absolutely worth it. I got more than my money's worth and stayed at the nicest and most beautiful hotel on the island!

If you are every in Kauai -- you owe it to yourself to stay at this hotel. You will not regret it one bit.

• Stayed: April 2010
StRegis, Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

Aloha,

On behalf of the management and staff of The St. Regis Princeville Resort, I would like to thank you for your time in posting this review. We treasure your comments and I have personally passed on your kinds words to our entire team.

Though I am responding to this review specifically, I would like to acknowledge everyone who has invested their time into sharing their thoughts of our resort. I am certainly proud to receive the positive comments but I also take the other reviews seriously as feedback for improvement.

We are pioneering the St Regis brand in Hawai’i and as we build our reputation we are thankful that you have selected The St. Regis Princeville Resort for your vacation plans. This resort is blessed to be located in one of the most beautiful places on our planet.

Our wonderful staff fully embraces the true Spirit of Aloha and are honored to share their island home of Kaua’i with our guests.

When your travel plans bring you to Kaua’i again, it will be my personal pleasure to welcome you back to The St. Regis Princeville Resort

With warmest aloha,

Milton Sgarbi

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stayed our final two nights in Kauai at the St. Regis. Everyone was very nice and accomodating. The most remarkable thing about this place is the view. For that reason, I highly recommend getting a room with an ocean view. It's worth the extra cash. Every time I looked out our window the scene was different and it was just amazing.

Of course this place is expensive so be prepared to spend some money if you are going to hang around the hotel all day. It's also a massive hotel so be prepared to do some walking to get around.

I recommend breakfast on the outdoor patio. The food and service were outstanding and we had a rainbow appear each morning.

The only complaint I have is they charged for parking. I wish they would just figure this into the price of the hotel. It's seems a little petty to get your bill and see a charge for this at such an expensive hotel.

1  Thank 3DTurkey
Reviewed May 5, 2010

This hotel is absolutely breathtaking - from the views (best in the world), to the location on the north side of the island, to the accommodating staff - it is truly first class. The beds were super comfy and the amenities were GREAT!

You will definitely pay for it but if you're willing to spend the money, it's worth it! My husband and I spent the first 4 days of our honeymoon there....and I wish we could have stayed there the entire time :).

Reviewed May 2, 2010

The St. Regis is absolutely beautiful. The staff across the board (besides the sommelier at the Kauai Grill) was wonderful. I got my hair and make-up done at the spa/salon before my wedding and they could not have done a better job. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, but warn them that everything is very expensive there. A regular mixed drink was $16...

Reviewed May 1, 2010

Firstly, I’m certainly not going to pick this hotel to pieces and complain about the staff.

My review is a personal thanks and recognition to certain people at this hotel.

My husband and I were married on Thursday the 8th of April 2010 at the Regis on the beach followed by a small intimate reception that was held in the Hanalei Terrace room. There were 11 of us that flew from Australia. Our guests stayed for the week in an Ocean View room and we stayed for 2 weeks in the Junior Suite. All of our guests had the most amazing time at the resort and outside of the resort. It rained every day, but that's ok... we loved the place for what it was. It's Kauai... you can't get any better. One rule that I always go by is.. To avoid disappointment, have no expectations. Go with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is. I was also lucky enough to celebrate my birthday here also. It certainly was an amazing experience.

The resort is beautiful. Enough said. I'm not going to rave how beautiful the decor is etc. You can see all of that on their website.

I would like to firstly say a huge thank you to all of the staff at the Regis for making our wedding experience and holiday amazing!

I have to thank Jennifer Vanderlaan, the wedding coordinator, for making our wedding and holiday the best we have ever had. We absolutely loved our room and the little extras she supplied for us. Nothing was ever a problem with Jen. She was great value! And the waitresses that were at the reception that night were the most beautiful people and the food was sensational. If you are ever thinking of having a wedding at this hotel... by all means... Do It!!

Ok.. So as you arrive in the hotel

All of the valet guys here are so friendly. They would talk to my husband about the surf, almost every day. I'd just walk into the hotel and know that he would be about 10 minutes behind me. He liked that interaction with them all, which was great. One thing about this hotel is that everyone is normal... there are no fake people. They are all real, which is great because we are just normal easy going people enjoying our holiday in an amazing place. It's Kauai.... the people are relaxed and casual (how could you not be on that island)
The drivers for the hotel cars were lovely... especially Frank. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

The people at the reception were all so lovely... nothing was ever a problem.

All of the girls at the spa are so friendly. If you ever have a massage... ask for Leesa. She has magic hands! I had the best massage that I have ever had, the Lomi Lomi massage. Leesa is brilliant. She gave my 10 year old a Keiki massage and he just loved it! The spa inside is the most relaxing place you will ever go on the holiday. Do yourself a favour and have a treatment and spend half the day in there... it's heaven!

We had breakfast at the Makana Terrace every morning, and I have to say that every waiter and waitress there is beautiful. I have a special thank you to the beautiful Maria at the desk. Maria is one of the kindest most sweetest people you will ever come across... not only is she amazingly beautiful to look at but she has the heart of gold and the smile that makes you feel ever so welcome. Lynn, who was our waitress a few times, she is the nicest lady with the sweetest nature. Liza, who was our waitress the first day we got there and the day we left. Liza was genuinely friendly and caring. She reminds me so much of a friend of ours that has passed away. She is one of those people that you feel you have known for years. She makes you feel so comfortable and welcome. I can’t remember the names of the rest of the staff that served us... but all of them were so lovely.

We spent every night after dinner at the bar having a nice Baileys on ice served by the nicest person you will ever come across... Josh.
Josh is one of those rare people in life that you come across that leave a special place in your heart. Well... for us anyway. He is a quiet achiever and a great observer. We spent hours talking to Josh about life, family, work etc. We would just go to the bar to see Josh and have a drink. The nights he wasn't working... we wouldn't go to the bar. My son would run up to him and give him a High 5 after his afternoon swim around 5pm and after dinner he would ask us if we could see Josh before we go to bed. We would stay until 11pm and chat with no complaints from our 10 year old. We met some great people there, especially a beautiful couple from Chicago. I wish we exchanged numbers as they are people that I would regularly keep in contact with.
And if you are ever lucky enough to be at the bar when Rick Avalon is playing the piano solo or with his friend, the base player (I fell so bad that I have forgotten his name) lovely guy with longish grey hair. You will enjoy your night!! Rick played at our wedding for 11 of us. We had a great night with him and I'm confident enough to say that he had a great night with us also. We had a few nights talking at the bar with Rick. He is a fantastic pianist with an amazing voice. Relax with a wine on the terrace or on a comfy lounge inside and listen to Rick before you venture on out to dinner. On the night of my birthday, after dinner at Postcards, we came back to the bar where my husband had a suprise cake made for me, Rick played Happy Birthday on the piano, while my husband, my son and Josh sang. It was a great night.

Another absolute must is The Kauai Grill. We had dinner there a couple of times which was beautiful... a must is the Sweet and Sour Fish. I can't remember the exact name, but if you go there ask for that dish... It's so beautiful. The staff are efficient and friendly. If I had their names I would mention them, but I don’t. All of the staff were great, especially one woman that served us both visits. She knew exactly what wine and dish I ordered from our first visit the week before. She was great.

And my son loved the pool area. We loved it also. The food down there is great.

I can’t complain about anything with this hotel. We really missed the hotel, the service and staff when we continued our holiday into Waikiki for 4 nights. We stayed at the Moana Surfrider where we didn't have the same experience and every night we were there we compared it the The Regis.

To be honest and you can see my review, we enjoyed every day at the Regis. We are looking forward to staying there many times ahead in the future and seeing the people that made our stay the best that we have had.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Renae C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!