“Your family and friends won't believe your photos!”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Dallas, TX
“Your family and friends won't believe your photos!”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We just returned from a 5-night stay at the resort. Almost everything about the resort took our breath away. I did not stay here prior to the resort becoming the St. Regis, but I thought it was important to write a review so others considering the resort would know what a wonderful time we had.

My favorite parts were the view and the public areas (e.g. the pool and beach areas, the lobby and restaurants). The view from our room was absolutely spectacular. The best view I have ever had in a hotel room. We had a Junior Prince Suite and were at the far end of the hotel. We looked straight out into the bay and ocean with the cliffs and clouds providing one of the most scenic views I have ever laid eyes on.

The pool and beach areas were wonderful. The staff around the area is extremely attentive and nice. The infinity pool, hot tub, and poolside bar/eatery were all top notch. The location of the resort at the beach couldn't be better. The rock formations at the bottom both break the waves far out to provide a calm water area for relaxing in the water, as well as provide something to walk on. The water is so clear you can see your feet without any issues.

I want to take a moment to discuss the staff. I could not find a flaw with the staff if I tried. Every single person was extremely friendly and greeted you with a smile (and none came off as forced either). They always went the extra mile for us and provided us a great experience. I don't know if anyone from the resort management reads these reviews, but huge props to concierges Scott and Makana, butler Noelle, bellman Victor, the front desk staff, the coffee shop staff, Penny in Guest Services, the waitstaff at the Makana Terrace and Kauai Grill, and the pool staff. This is just to name a few.

Additionally, very special thanks to Noelle and the housekeeping staff for putting together a wonderful presentation in our room for a very special occasion. It will not be forgotten.

As for our room, it was well-outfitted and, as I said previously, the view was spectacular. I did, however, think that a suite level room would be a bit larger. Additionally, the bathroom was nice but not your own personal spa or anything. A dedicated walk-in shower would have made it a bit better, but it was well kept and more than functional.

As a wrap-up, the resort was a part of one of the greatest trips we have ever taken, and the staff is every bit responsible for that as the surroundings. I felt the resort justified its price based on service and location/view alone. I would have appreciated being informed about the overnight parking charge before I saw it on my final bill, and the room could have been a bit more luxurious (though the bed was beyond great), but seriously, Kauai and the rest of the resort beckons you to be outside the room anyway. By the way, there is a charge for in-room Internet but the lobby is free.

We will happily return to the St. Regis Princeville, with little doubt.

1 Thank ElaborateRuse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
atlanta, ga
Reviewed February 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed 5 nights at the St Regis. (Tip: We got a great deal through costco travel for an oceanview room plus $1000 resort credit!).

First off, without a doubt, it has the best views on the island. Keep in mind, though, it is on the north side so it tends to be a bit cloudier than the south side of the island. If it is cloudy in Princeville, just drive down to one of the beaches on the southside - all are public. From the moment we arrived service was outstanding. Yes, the $15 car fee per day is silly but is not that big of deal - not enough in our opinion to give the hotel a negative review as some have. Keep in mind other resorts charge a daily "resort fee", which the St Regis does not. Our oceanview room was very nice inside, but the view was incredible! We could watch the surfers riding the 15-foot waves right from our room. Very comfy bed, has hdtv.
The pool area was nice with mostly good service. The beach was just ok but there is decent snorkeling right there. Hannelei bay is right there if you want to surf. I highly recommend checking out other beaches on the island. You can get around the island easily with a car. Food: Kauai Grille is excellent. We ate there 3 nights, never disappointed. The other restaurant, The Terrace has amazing views. Dinner there was good, but not as good as the Grille. We also had breakfast there 3 mornings. It is good but stupidly expensive for breakfast (great french toast!). We averaged paying about $40+ (without juice or coffee!). We had several lunches poolside which were actually pretty good. A couple of evenings they had a guy singing in the bar area which is fun.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10. Great service, beautiful location, overall very good food (just expensive). Without the resort credit I probably would have been frustrated with the expensive food though.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We love the north shore of Kauai for it's breathtaking, raw beauty. Say what you will about the hotel itself (to be addressed below), there is no other place that showcases the scenery better. From the lobby, to the terrace, to the pool, the the beach, to the rooms themselves, the view is captivating. That's why we will stay here over other resorts with better service or more impressive grounds. The St. Regis Princeville simply does not need to do more with what the location has to offer. Location, location, location.

The beach is small, but works for lounging, sunbathing and children. Could use a few more hammocks - on is not adequate. The reef comes right up to shore and is great for snorkeling on calm days.

The lobby is beautful, as it the adjacent lounge. Huge plate glass that showcases the scenery. Drinks in the lounge are pricey, but worth it. Unique and delicious. The lounge food is from the Kauai Grill kitchen and well done. On Friday evenings they have live Hawaiian music which is very enjoyable.

To describe the hotel itself, nothing is subpar. It is however, hit or miss between exellent and average. This seems to vary from day to day, from one cirmcumstance to another. It seems they have some kinks to work out in service. Although that won't keep us from jumping at the opportunity to return!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We loved everything. The service is outstanding and the views are breathtaking. For those who have stayed here before St. Regis came along we were a little concerned. WE could not have been more pleased with the new look including pool areas and room colors. It is so elegant and refresshing to sit in the lobby and enjoy the moment.
Yes it is indeed expensive. $ 15.00 a day to park and yes they tell you this upfront. $ 15.00 per drink at pool side / 80.00 breakfast for two which seems so expensive until you get to sit on the terrace and enjoy a view so beautiful you realize it does not matter how expensive it is . It you can afford it, treat yourself and enjoy !

1 Thank stillastud
bangkok
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Obviously the views are spectacular. The actual building is hideous and providing you are not looking at the hotel, it is a good place to stay. It has been newly refurbished. Not sure all of it works, but then it must have been a momentous job to attempt to redecorate such a vast hotel. The place is huge and reminded me of the hotel in "The shining." The staff were so-so. Some excellent, but some just lousy. The main front of staff were utterly inept. Despite the fact that it had been newly redecorated the room i was in on the ground floor overlooking the garden smelt musty and damp (possibly because of the location). But the facilities were good and it was clean.

Easily the best part of my stay was the incredible food at the grill restaurant. It's run by Jean-Georges Vongerichten and as good (if not better) than his restaurants in manhattan. Unfortunately it is only open for dinner and closed on sunday (I also believe on monday as well). The actual main restaurant was poor in comparison. I also though the breakfast was very bad and stupidly overpriced.

The one sour taste left in my mouth was the fact when i left I was charged for parking my car. I can understand this in a giant city, but not in Princeville. It's in the countryside. They were charging $15 per night and I was never informed that i would be charged extra. There's a public car park next door and I'd park there if you can.

It's an OK choice and there aren't any other 5 star options in the north of the island. I'll probably stay again. But reluctantly.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boomsnap
chicago IL
Reviewed January 31, 2010

incredible views, gorgeous resort and wonderful service made this an ideal spot for our vacation.

Spa is stunning/great therapists-- and our ocean view room allowed us to hear the giant waves at night.
There was nothing not to love here except maybe the shower which is not stand alone.
Not something that would detract from the overall fab experience!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This place is Magical. This is a dated review, but thought I would give my two-cents. I have stayed in hotels all around the world, and this is By Far the nicest. I booked a standard room and they upgraded us to an ocean view. They knew we were there for our honeymoon ;). The customer service was always pleasant. The room had a view you will never forget. The bed was soft, the shower was awesome. If you have the DOUGH$$$ stay at this hotel. We could only afford a few nights, but man was it worth it!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!