St. Regis Princeville Resort
$420
$299
$279
Orbitz.com
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
$259
$249
Official Website
Kauai Shores Hotel(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
$209
  • Beachfront
$249
GardenInn.com
2,971 results
All reviewskauai grillbutler servicemakana terracepacific dream photographyfour seasonsjunior suitepool beachour honeymoongreen marblechampagne saberinglobby barturn down servicean ocean view roomgrand hyatthotel is beautifulsushiamazing location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We just returned from a 7 day stay at the New St. Regis Princeville and were sadly disappointment. Although the new renovations were nice it as though they forgot to train the staff on customer service. We had a Prince Junior Suite... it was advertised as coming with butler service...which did not exist..even when we tried the extension on the phone for the butler, no one ever answered. The first room we had, the phone, TV and safe did not work.. we were able to move the next day finally about 3:45pm and had the same issue with TV. In the Junior suites, the TV is in a credenza at the end of the bed, but the installation company forgot to put the eye for the remote on the outside of the cabinet so there is no way to raise it. Our friends were staying in the room next door and there TV was left in the raised position which blocks any view of the window at all from the bed.
The other package we had was Awaken St Regis... which stated we could have breakfast in the room or restaurant every day, Not True, we were told we could NOT have room service, we could only eat in the restaurant. The week we were there they had no plates at the buffet only bowls, no serving utensils and lots of gnats swarming the food.
The valet area had no towels for the beach 2 out of 4 times we asked , no one knew the password for the business center computer... the front desk did not know if they could even fax a letter and suggested I may talk to the concierge.
The list of challenges we faced in our is stay is very long. We finally called Starwood Corporate office and they contacted the hotel and had the General Manager contact us and reduced our rate by 1/2. It was still not worth all the disappointments we faced and left such a bad cloud over a very long week in Kauai. If I had to do it all again ... I would not stay at this property... it is just not worth the price. The common answer we received when we would ask a question was, "I don't know, maybe you could go ask someone else they might know." I have never heard that answer used in even a 3 star property..especially not in a property claiming to be 5 star. We knew it was a new property and knew there would be some challenges but truly what we experienced was beyond opening jitters, it could have been solved by hotel 101..... Maybe someday they will get it all worked out ...but it is a chance I will not ever take again. My advice...buyer BEWARE...
I wanted to end this on a good note.. as I am a very positive person who just happened to have had a bad experience.... The Spa services we had at the hotel were very nice...and staff was doing a great job. The Valet staff is the other notable area that seems to be ready to give 5 star service... they were friendly, helpful and always on the ball. The hotel sits on a beautiful piece of property but there are lots of properties in Princeville area where you can share the view and not pay the price.
We met no less than 10 couples staying at the hotel during our week at the St. Regis and they all said the same thing, it is not a 5 star property and they have a long way to go.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zybach
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I just returned from a wonderful 2-week trip vacation to Hawaii, my favorite place on earth!
We spent one week on Kauai. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Regency for 3 nights and ended our trip with 4 nights at the St. Regis Resort.

About one moth prior to our trip I found out that the St. Regis would be having a “soft opening” prior to their October 1st grand opening. They were also offering special prices for locals. I am not a local but found that I could still book at regular prices and I immediately made my reservations. Let me start by saying that your first class treatment will begin when you make your reservations. The agents are very polite and will only address you by “Mr.” or “Ms.” plus last name.

Being that is was a “soft opening, I was aware that there may be some work going on around at the resort but that was OK with us because it was either that or not stay there at all.

We checked in on September 27th. We drove up from Poipu where we had just spent 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt Resort. We arrived at 1:00. The valet was very welcoming and we were given Hawaiian Lei’s. These are not your regular lei’s you get and see at the other nice hotels. My lei had beautiful green orchids! I also saw an incredible lei with brown orchids! A beautiful color brown, amazing! The Valet guy, who had our bags stood there next to me waiting the entire time until we checked in, then took us to our room.
Check in was at a desk not a counter. I sat as we were being checked in. Check in was smooth and they gave us a room right away.

Because it was a “soft opening” they only had 100 rooms open, I was told. I had a standard Mountain View room. There was no upgrade available because of the lack of rooms open but that was more than OK with me.

By the way, the lobby, rooms, view and every bit of the hotel is absolutely spectacular! I won’t go much into the description of any of these because I am attaching a link to view photographs of the hotel so you could see for yourself how beautiful it is. Believe nothing of what you hear but all of what you see. See for yourself! http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt246/scorchestra1/?

I will say that the room is beautiful! I loved the luxury and the huge window that opened up completely! Ahhhhh! Beautiful. The bellman showed us a cool feature of the huge bathroom window. The window is frosted but if you push a button it becomes clear and you can see right thru it. Since my 11-year-old son was with us I assured him that it would take one day for my son to break it! My son loved playing with that and fortunately as much as he pushed it, it did not break. : )

We also loved he huge TV. I think I t was 42 or 46 inch. The room has refrigerator stocked with drinks that you can purchase. What I thought was very nice is that the drinks were entire bottles not just the little individual bottles. Fine wines and champagne as well as other drinks.

There was no coffee machine but even that was OK with us though it would have been nice to have one. Our King size bed was a great as the “Westin Heavenly beds” and it had 2 reading lights attached to each side of the bed.

Turn Down Service:
Oh La La! I Loved the Turn down service. The bedding was turned down. And next to my side of the bed and my husbands we had a mat with beautiful evening slippers placed that we can just slip into. At the foot of the bed there was a silver tray with the shoehorn and everything you need to care for your shoes and a laundry bag.

Dining:
Makana Terrace: As many of you know, the view here is absolutely breathtaking! There is no better view in the world. There really isn’t. We ate dinner here and even if it was at night we could still see the outline of the mountains and the moonlight hitting the water. So quiet and peaceful, magical and beautiful. The first night my husband ordered a beautiful seared ahi with a glass noodle salad. My son and I had the shellfish Hotpot that had clams, mussel, prawns, Portuguese sausage and scallops in a cilantro, wine butter sauce served with a couple of pieces of very crusty toasty bread.

I looked at the wine list and noticed that the glasses of wine were about $13 a glass and up. I thought it was a bit high for a glass of wine so I peeked at the price for bottles and was pleased to see that the prices started at $31. This is actually an excellent price. So we “splurged” and ordered the $32 bottle of wine! : ) The wine was excellent and went so very well with our meal.

We loved our meal so much that we ended up having dinner here every night. Every night we had a beautiful chef’s offering served to us. A small sample sent out by the chef and then we ordered our meals. My husband was the most adventurous ordering something different every night. My son and I had a hard time not ordering the Shellfish Hotpot. We had it 3 of the 4 nights. The other time I ordered a Kona lobster tail with prawns. This was a special.

We loved our servers. They knew us by name but always called us by last name “ Mr. & Mrs.” We got to like them so much that it was all hugs on our last night. On our 3rd night dining there we were given a free glass of champagne and on our 4th night the chef presented us what a complimentary appetizer. It was a huge plate of steaming mussels in a wine curry sauce. Apparently we were their very first repeat customers and they wanted to thank us. If you dine there, ask for the server “Drew”, he is great! You will get 5 star service!

Why did we eat there every night? Well, because we looked at other menus including Happy talk, Mediterranean Gourmet and a couple of other places and the prices were exactly the same or very comparable. St Regis dining was not any more expensive. Our Shellfish hotpot cost $29. This same dish at the Mediterranean Gourmet was $34. Dining at the St. Regis was also very convenient. We can take our showers, dress up for dinner and then go down to dinner. After dinner we would go to the Lobby bar where there were only very few people. By that time all the locals and “lookey-loos” were gone and only guests were left to breathe in the beautiful moonlight on the terrace.

Parking:
We used the valet parking option for $25 a night. Why not? We paid that very same price at the Embassy Suites every night in Oahu and paid $15 a night at the Hyatt Resort in Poipu.

We could have done the self-parking but opted for valet because it was very convenient and we would call down for our car ahead of time and it would be there waiting for us. On top of the $25 a night we always tipped the valet guys every single time they brought our car and took our car.

Paying rates like this for parking are very standard in Hawaii unless you are staying at a lower end hotel or condo. I would not let it scare me away from staying here.

Swimming Pool
I loved the Infinity pool! I loved the colors of the chairs and umbrellas. As you can see by the pictures they are a beautiful shade of blue and green that happen to be my favorite colors. The view from the pool is to die for! We spent many hours there. What I really love about this pool is that you are steps away from the beach. There are also beach chairs set up on the beach. We snorkeled in that beach and saw lots of fish, on the day we went in there were more fish then Ke’e Beach.

You can always tell when there were Hanalei Bay Resort guests there because they were busier looking at the St. Regis area and taking pictures. LOL!

I loved the glasses that the drinks at the pool were served in. They were a beautiful tall deep blue (they were not actually glass but plastic that looked like glass. ) Anyway, they were not those clear plastic cups that the Hyatt and most other hotels serve their drinks in. I had many Mai Tai’s while there. The classic Mai Ta was $15 a drink and the special one was $18. We went for the classic. My son had Virgin Lava flows and Pina Coladas. We usually had at least one drink and some days 2 drinks. Everyone in the pool area seemed to have drinks all the time.

My first Mai Ta was on the weak side so the next time ordered I told the server that it was weak and could the next be stronger. Oh boy, was it stronger! Careful what you ask for, but it was good!

I really preferred the drinks here to the Hyatt’s. The drinks at the Hyatt are icy (blended) and here they are drinks. At the Hyatt they were always quick to hand me the bill but at the St. Regis they just asked for my room number and let the tab open. At the very end they just put the bill on your chair or table. No pressure, first class all the way.
When you are at the pool you are also served cold ice water and your cup is always filled. On the first day there was a server who would bring out small warm towels for each guest so that you may refresh yourself. I did not see this the other days so am not sure if this is something they were going to keep doing.

There is a large Jacuzzi that could seat about 10 people. It is beautiful and looks like it is surrounded by lava rock. There are also smaller Jacuzzi’s on the side. There is a baby pool too that is 1 ½ ft. deep.

The main swimming pool is supposed to be 4 feet but it is definitely deeper. Careful if you don’t swim. All around the edges it is 4 feet but in the middle it gets deeper. I would guess that at points it got as deep as 6 feet or 5 ½ feet deep. I am 5 ‘ 5” and it went above my head. My husband is quite a bit taller and it was above his head.

Conclusion:
It was fun for us to stay during the soft opening and seeing the resort literally finish coming together. There were mornings we woke up and saw features and/or paintings that were not there the previous night. We thought that was fun.
Staying at the St. Regis for us was a great way to finish our what turned out to be “luxury” vacation.

Without a doubt this is a 5 star resort. Do not even doubt that. It s first class, If you long to be in luxury and be pampered and surrounded by beauty and everything you want then this is your place, stay here!

I felt very happy and very blessed to have had the opportunity to stay here.
This is an incredibly romantic destination. In the days that we were there we saw 4 weddings taking place!

It is an expensive stay so do be prepared to spend money and that bill does add up. It was without a doubt the most expensive place we stayed.

The only negative I could think of is that we saw less of the island then other times because we did not want to leave the resort.

The St. Regis Resort website has many specials so I recommend booking your stay through their website.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank scorchestra
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed at the St. Regis for a "soft" opening. September 27-October 2nd. The hotel has breathtaking views of Hanalei Bay, but is still not quite up to par with our expectations of a St. Regis. Despite being members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, American Express Platinum members, and booking our stay through a Virtuoso Travel Agency, we were not given the "upgrade upon availability" at check-in. Our itinerary stated that we were to receive a welcome fruit basket, as well as breakfast included every day, but we did not receive these. When we noticed this on our check out day, we did bring it to the attention of the sales department and they kindly adjusted our bill to take care of the breakfasts that we had paid for in the hotel. In a nutshell, here is my review: The hotel lacks a personality because they do not have soft music playing and they limit the live entertainment in the main bar area to two hours. They do not include yogurt in the continental portion of the buffet. If you want to have yogurt, you need to pay $5 extra. We were not given a NY Times Digest, even though we requested one to be delivered daily upon our check-in. There was no welcome card from the manager or fresh flowers in our room to welcome us. There are no balconies at this hotel. The bathrooms have a strange smoked glass effect to give privacy, otherwise, one can see right through from the bathroom into the main bedroom area. The light at night can disturb the other resident in the room if someone needs to use the restroom in the middle of the night. There was also no coffeemaker in our room. In addition, the couples massage is very expensive and they did not tell us if a tip was included in the price or if that would be extra. Another frustration were the in-room clock radios. They were difficult to understand and an appropriate explanation was not given to us as to their operation.
All in all, the hotel is beautiful and we think that in about 3 months, they will have worked out all of the kinks. In the meantime, the management could take a lesson from the way that they run things at Pelican Hill, a Newport Beach hotel in California.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LJLisa
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the hotel early October. I wish I could report that our stay was everything we hoped it would be but there were quite a few problems mainly, we felt, due to the hotel not be quite ready for guests. The location is so magnificent and the staff are trying very hard were sure given time it will be up to the 5 star standard of a St Regis . We were greeted on our arrival by very friendly and efficient staff and shown through to the reception area to check in. The view from the lobby to the mountains and across Hanalei Bay was just beautiful as was our room on the first floor. A walk along the beach at sunset - paradise! Lovely touches during our stay seemed to be mainly from the housekeeping staff - a birthday cake on the first night, a note each night with the weather for the next day, flowers being placed along our bed and through the bathroom on our last night, the service from the butler service who moved our things to the new room was exceptional and our room was always spotless. Our room was generous & decor tasteful, bed and pillows really comfortable, nice products and of course the view! On the down side, not one day of our stay was a full breakfast available (apparently they were still waiting for equipment to arrive?), we had to move twice due to some sort of pump outside our first room, A/C failing in the lifts, lengthy delays for most things as staff were not yet familiar with operations and procedures. The food at the pool side was expensive and not up to standard but staff were great - iced water and refreshing towels brought around. The concierge, Hannie, was wonderful - very knowledgeable and helpful. The spa treatment, facilities and staff excellent. On checking out we found numerous errors with our account which took over an hour and a half to sort out. Given the premium charged for our stay, I wouldn't say it was great value. We lodged our concerns with Starwoods on our return home and to the hotels credit, we received a prompt reply and the promise of an investigation. Hopefully some sort of reimbursement will be offered! With any luck the teething issues will be sorted out quickly and this hotel will be worthy of its magnificent location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LucyIntrepid
Reviewed October 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the newly re-opened Princeville Resort for our anniversary on the second weekend after they reopened. Overall, our experience was wonderful. The renovations are gorgeous, the service (mostly) is fantastic, and of course, you can't beat the natural beauty of the area.

We were especially impressed with our check-in. From the moment we were greeted at the security stand, every single staff person greeted us by name and told us "Happy Anniversary." Within minutes of arriving at our room, room service brought up a complimentary bottle of Moet.

The room was tastefully elegant. We were totally blown away by the magic window separating the bathroom from the bedroom that could change from clear to opaque with a flip of a switch. The bed was seriously one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, with an abundance of big, fluffy pillows.

The pool and beach area was relaxing, and the service out there was wonderful. Although if you've never been to Princeville, you should know that it's definitely the cloudier/rainier side of the island. If you're looking for a sunny beach vacation in Kauai, I would suggest Poipu instead.

The only blemish in our otherwise perfect trip was the service in the lounge area. We sat and waited to be served for probably 10 minutes. There were tons of servers/bartenders/managers there (probably more staff than guests), but no one ever stopped to serve us, or even say that they would be with us in a minute. The manager and one of the servers even started moving furniture around us, but no service. We eventually just left and drove to Bar Acuda in Hanalei for a drink.

Overall, our trip was wonderful and minus the lounge incident, I would highly recommend it for a quiet getaway.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple